Extended Warranty

toothie

Jun 23, 2010
Hi All,

There is a promotion for getting extended warranty now, EF-50mm F1.8 at $89 plus a nice mini 5D thumbdrive.

The market price for the lense is ~ $125 to $115. And the extended warranty for my camera is going to cost me $180 (EOS 550D, which i got a few months back).

My questions are,
1) Is extended warranty a good idea? I think, most electronics stuff, if fails, will do so at the early stage, bathtub curve. (I assuming that the early stage should be like 6 months to 2 years)
2) How many of CSes actually cursed that they should have bought the extended warranty?

If the extended warranty is a waste of money, then I am effective paying ~ $270 for EF-50mm F1.8 lense.

Looking forward to your views.

Last edited:
extended warranty by Canon (not those in house warranties by super stores) is always good but not a must. :)

for me i bought it cos i fear for my cam :p

Last edited:
For the 50mm f1.8? Probably not.

Like what you say, a new one only costs you $120, while the extended warranty costs $180. If it should really fail you, then go buy another; you still save $60 and you get another 15mths warranty. (vs paying $180 for 24mths warranty, correct me if i'm wrong)

I just bought for my 550D. :)

So far, I have not experienced a single Canon product failing on me, even after many years of use... but I have a gut feel that I may need the warranty this time.

It's like buying "Insurance" for your camera for another 2 years.
Personally, i have not experience my canon product failing on me, but at the same time i love to have warranty covered.

The Comex IT Fair, Compact camera extended warranty Free Gift (A Calculator) sounds weird, reminds you how much you have spent!:bsmilie:

Canon%20Digital%20Cameras%20Ixus%20300%20HS%20210%20130%20105%20PowerShot%20G11%20S95%20A495%20Selphy%20Photo%20Printers%20ES40%20CP790.jpg

For the 50mm f1.8? Probably not.

Like what you say, a new one only costs you $120, while the extended warranty costs $180. If it should really fail you, then go buy another; you still save $60 and you get another 15mths warranty. (vs paying $180 for 24mths warranty, correct me if i'm wrong)

Hi,

The extended warranty is for my camera body, not for the lense.

cheers,

Really depends on how long you intend to hold onto the camera. If you are like a lot of others, after about a year, you will be upgrading to a 'better' camera and sell off your 550D. In that case, you might not want to go for the extended warranty although the extended warranty does help in attracting more interested buyer for your 550D. However, you definitely will not be able to sell the camera at the 2nd hand market rate +S$180

Really depends on how long you intend to hold onto the camera. If you are like a lot of others, after about a year, you will be upgrading to a 'better' camera and sell off your 550D. In that case, you might not want to go for the extended warranty although the extended warranty does help in attracting more interested buyer for your 550D. However, you definitely will not be able to sell the camera at the 2nd hand market rate +S$180

agreed.

my previous cam (450D) i did not buy any extended warranty and after using it for 8-9 months, i decided to upgrade to FF and sold my 450D. But bought extended warranty for my existing cam now cos i will be using it for at least a couple of years. :)

I received the 5D MkII thumbdrive at Comex after extending the warranty. After which, I realised after searching through past posts that this thumbdrive is actually rare and very valuable. ;)

Its rare yes but not that valuable. Do you have the 2Gb or the 4Gb one? i remember a person in mass sales selling the 4gb one at 90 bucks. Dont know how the 2gb will fare though.

Its rare yes but not that valuable. Do you have the 2Gb or the 4Gb one? i remember a person in mass sales selling the 4gb one at 90 bucks. Dont know how the 2gb will fare though.

Yes, and you can quite easily sell it at $90 if it is the right version where the LCD lights up when you plug in the thumbdrive. They are giving out the 4GB ones at the recent COMEX.

I don't know the value of the 2GB ones though.