Exposing the sky properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have some shots where the sun is die die in front of you. Like at the beach. The sky is completely washed out.

With those advise in this thread, I go try out this weekend again. :)

I also have some shots where the sun is die die in front of you. Like at the beach. The sky is completely washed out.

I don't think there is anything much you can do about it except wait for the time when the sun is on the other side or go to another beach. ;p I love this kind of shots because it essentially means that your shot is the result of you being there at the right time, the right place and the lighting is right. It means that people can do little to copy your shot except to wait for the weather, season etc. Sometimes it may be the entire year if it's seasonal. Just have to learn to be patient, then your photo will be more rewarding.

If your subject is die die in the shadow and if it isn't too far, you can use a flash to illuminate it.
LX2-Test01f.jpg

The GND filters are useful when you are in a situation and and have to take a shot and move on... but if you can plan your time, the 2 best times of the day to take pictures is dawn and dusk. Depending on the time the sun rises and sets, just give your self around +/- 1 hour around that time to experiment with some shots. You can also tweak your white balance to be a bit cooler to get a better effect as well.

Here are 2 pictures from Changi Broadwalk as examples, and I can even shoot at the sun without being washed out. No filters were used here... just waiting for the right time.

1525247618_be4d1b4741.jpg

1722634487_48184f98cf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.