Experiences with dry cabinets

beeyeye

Dec 31, 2012
Clementi
Hi. I have been using Lock & Lock containers with Thirsty Hippo. Shopping for a small dry cabinet enough for 4 DSLR, 3 compact cameras, EFS 17-55, 50/1.4 and 17-85. Saw a brand at Challenger. Could anyone share their experiences with dry cabinets? Thank you.

Hi. I have been using Lock & Lock containers with Thirsty Hippo. Shopping for a small dry cabinet enough for 4 DSLR, 3 compact cameras, EFS 17-55, 50/1.4 and 17-85. Saw a brand at Challenger. Could anyone share their experiences with dry cabinets? Thank you.

I have used 2 brands of dry cabinates and they are both great. Currrently I am running Akarui, very reliable.

Akarui

Digi-Cabi

Last edited:
Have had a Digi-Cabi since 2009. Only comment is that the cabinet hygrometer on my unit seems to be off by 10% RH. Unless the cabinet hygrometer can be calibrated, would suggest getting an additional hygrometer to serve as a check. Not too expensive, got one off ebay for less than 10 bucks.

There are few types of general design of dry cabinets in the market.

1) Analog display with manually set RH point.
2) Digital display with manually set RH point.
3) Digital display and digitally controlled RH point.

Type 1 & 2 are usually used on smaller / lower priced dry cabinets.

Type 3 are most of the time used for bigger and more expensive dry cabinets.

I am using Digi-Cabi for the past few years. Can keep & maintain a very low RH.

Good service and support :thumbsup:. Few months back the TEC power supply died, emailed them and they sent a service guy to replace it within the same day.

Been on the same DigiCabi since 2001 still going strong

Put a digital hygrometer bought from DIY don't trust mechanical needle ones that come with the cabinet

Digicab for me, used for years and yeap, still going strong.

Glad u r finally moving from a lock and lock to a dry cabinet , wise choice :)

I am using digi cabi too, so far good service from them when I digital meter conked out. Now I also have a analog hygrometer as a check

I use a 100L Digi Cab, , more than 5 years old, replaced the dehumidifier unit twice, excellence after sale service.

btw, this is gear talk, not photography talk,
hence thread moved.

Thanks Moderators and everyone!

Last edited:
beeyeye said:

U seem have quite lot of dslr. Not sure ur "small" cabinet meant how small, but think better get a bigger one that after storing all ur gears, still has space. In case u have additional items in future. Also has more space so it will not be too cramp.

actually 1 DSLR, 1 superzoom (DSLR size) and 2 old film cameras (agah agah DSLR size)...

I have a Rotronic HP21 industrial hygrometer with an accuracy of 1% RH. If you want to know how much off the readings your hygrometer is giving you, I can have it tested for you, for a small fee, using the HP21 readings as reference. The test would take about 4 - 5 hrs.

What we want is accurate readings at 45%RH - 50%RH. Salt test is only good for readings at 75%RH. A lot of the mini hygrometers in the market are made and calibrated for use in cigar storage. As the readings go lower, the accuracy would also diminish. Just to share.

$Hygroset Slim.jpg

Salt test is only good for readings at 75%RH. A lot of the mini hygrometers in the market are made and calibrated for use in cigar storage. As the readings go lower, the accuracy would also diminish. Just to share.

Wasn't aware of that, good to know, thanks!

Found out that there are other salt compounds that can be used to test lower RH levels — E.g., Magnesium Chloride for 33%. Of course, not many of these can be easily purchased by the general public.

To calibrate the lower end, 33% humidity, Magnesium Chloride (a salt) and water is used again. At the ideal temperature of 77 degrees Fahrenheit, this solution will produce an RH of 32.78%. At 59 degrees Fahrenheit it will produce an RH of 33.30% and at 86 degrees Fahrenheit it will produce 32.44% RH. Once again, “room temperature” is not critical.

http://www.kingofthehouse.com/hygrometer/