EX 580 Questions

Halfmoon

Feb 26, 2005
Hougang, Singapore.
Dear Bros

I have recently gotten a EX580 mkII, and I used it for an event... for around 5 hours....

As I am still new to 580II, I found it that it gotten very hot... much faster than my 430mkI... maybe the power rating is higher, so does get hotter, and I do not seems to get as many shots as I could with the 430...

When I change batteries, it was all hot... enough to burn finger that I have to drop it... but I do not recall this when I was using my 430. I suppose this is due to the heat from the flash since it is hotter and more power.

Is there any risk of me damaging the flash shooting like this??? I am using it for bounce flash, at angle, 70 - 90, and the batteries gotten so hot??? I just like to check if this is a normal thing for the 580II since never use before....

Should I get a battery pack CP-E4 instead as this is would be better option when shooting such a long event??

Hope bros can share your tips with me on this flash....

Thank you. ;)

I have been using my 580EXII for quite some time, apparently i do not encounter the same problem as you. My batteries would be hot, but not to the extend that it would burn me. I reccomend that you bring it down to Canon to do a check. It should be covered under the warranty if yours is still valid.

i use the 580EX ver on many events for 6 -7 hours and never encounter ur problem, i've only experience this with my YN560 and it's not burning hot only a bit warm, maybe can try calling CSC to see if it's normal, not to mention ur's is a new flash maybe can do 1 to 1 exchange?

Bros, can check with you what batteries did you use??? I used 3 sets for the night, and 1 set was rechargable and it did not seems that hot... but the other 2 sets were alkaline, and that were hot......

I think my shooting can be considered as almost non-stop shooting in some sense..... the company have a lot of performance..... very minimal interval in between....

Also, can I check if the recycling time is fast??? I thought mine 580 recycling time was not much faster than a 430.... which should not be like this right????

Bros, can check with you what batteries did you use??? I used 3 sets for the night, and 1 set was rechargable and it did not seems that hot... but the other 2 sets were alkaline, and that were hot......

I think my shooting can be considered as almost non-stop shooting in some sense..... the company have a lot of performance..... very minimal interval in between....

maybe the alkaline is the issue, i never used alkaline for my flashes before all is NIMH either eneloop or recyclo...

Hey Bro,

I have used 580Ex2 and 430 Ex for long shoots and own both of them. I have never used alkaline on them and have eneloop batteries for them. the 580ex2 recycle time is faster than the 430 and also consumes more juice....
In terms of batteries getting warm, yes, once the juice runs outs in them, the batteries are warm when you change them. But I have never encountered a hot battery. My reco as all others in the forum is to get your 580ex2 to check at csc.
photograpix75

Batteries getting extremely hot doesn't sound good. (Possible shorting?)

As someone suggested already, go give CSC a call.

Dear Bros

Thanks for your reply.... Cos of the hot batteries, I was concerned, so I guess it is better to bring it to CSC to get it serviced. I am not sure if alkailne batteries is an issue, as I did not have this issue with my 430, and I thought at that point of time, that maybe the it is flash getting too hot.... my subjects were hot no doubt..... haha....

I also not sure if I could have fired too much shots and caused the problem... but I do not think that this should be an issue cos the 580 was meant to be abused this way..... My colleague who shot with me survive with 1 set of alkaline... wheil I went through 3 sets.... good thing it is a local set with warranty....

I think recently, I have been pretty unlucky in getting electronics.... but never minds... new year, hope better luck.... :)

Just dread going down to CSC cos of the inconvenience..... and time.....

Last edited:
Bros

Can I ask, when you shoot an event w/580mkII, usually, how long can your batteries last??? Is three sets in 5 hours with a lot of shooting normal???

Depends on the power output for each flash, and how many times it went off.

can yr 580 function normally still?
my friend had buring hot batteries before in a YN caused by short circuit.
best to go down CSC bro.