Ever seen this group pic at Hua Song?

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
41160_426311773165_835728165_4774388_4794347_n.jpg

41160_426311778165_835728165_4774389_3523031_n.jpg

would like to know how it was done.

Could be medium format, but the detail level is also possible with a A900/A850/D3X with a 12-24 lens.

Could be medium format, but the detail level is also possible with a A900/A850/D3X with a 12-24 lens.
any comments with regards to the lighting?

I notice its stronger in the middle and appears to gradually fall off at the sides.

Havent done enough auditorium shoots to haphazard a guess.

picture was taken in 2003, does it help?

Last edited:
how big is this pic

how big is this pic
banner shape.

should have taken it with something to reflect the size. All i can say is the sides is about the height of A4 size.

Photo has perspective correction done. I don't think this would be done in photoshop, so a T/S lens would be needed. Sony has no T/S lens, and the Nikon 24mm is not wide enough.

I'm still betting on a film body with full control over tilt, shift, swing and literally everything.

EDIT
TS says it was taken in 2003, guess that eliminates all digital cameras except medium format backs

any comments with regards to the lighting?

I notice its stronger in the middle and appears to gradually fall off at the sides.

Havent done enough auditorium shoots to haphazard a guess.

picture was taken in 2003, does it help?

A central strobe unit, 2 of them perhaps?

Personally I would have mounted the strobes higher up and aimed them at the back rather than at the front. The spill from the strobes would be enough for the front and the back would then be nicely covered.

Then again, there may be space constraints I'm unaware of.

should be a medium format swing lens panoramic camera, usually is using Widelux 1500.
Panoramic camera advice

The strangest part is ... never corrected for the inherent distortion of the camera.

I've seen 'normal' swing-cam set-ups where the entire group was in a semi-circle around the photographer, but perhaps they either wanted a distortion effect. More obviously, they apparently did time to do the shot.

However, these are usually super sharp, minus the artifacts. The photo looks blur, but I have no idea what size the photo is.

The strangest part is ... never corrected for the inherent distortion of the camera.

I've seen 'normal' swing-cam set-ups where the entire group was in a semi-circle around the photographer, but perhaps they either wanted a distortion effect. More obviously, they apparently did time to do the shot.

However, these are usually super sharp, minus the artifacts. The photo looks blur, but I have no idea what size the photo is.
this looks like shot in an indoor auditorium, at the size of the group, not possible to much arrangement, and the lighting as well, guess the photographer planted the tripod on the stage and shoot down, so obviously the people both sides are much far away, hence the distortion. and since this is the pre-digital thingy, distortion correcting at post is not that accessible as in today.

Sony has no T/S lens,

We do, 3rd party though. :)

But yes, the pic is from 2003, so would be a MF with a wide angle lens or T/S?