Event Photography Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMC

Sep 4, 2004
Beyond Space-Time Continuum
Any tips on how to use a flash and still be able to get the ambient lighting? I have to shoot an event where the lighting is poor and I have to capture the people and the projected image behind.

Open up your aperture to the max, shutter average about 1/30 would help and use flash tilt 85-90 deg + bounce card.

TMC said:
like that a bit hard to capture everybody sharply right?

no need to open to the maximum. best set to S mode and use the slowest shutter speed which your handshake will not affect the picture and let the camera decide on the aperture, with the higher iso.

direction of flash dependent on where you can find a good surface to bounce the light off, if ceiling too high or walls too far away can flash direct already, no choice if you working alone

TMC said:
like that a bit hard to capture everybody sharply right?
Hyperfocusing la aiyoh, f/1 also can sharp everybody.

TMC said:
flash will overpower the projected image on the wall, how?

if the image on the wall is very important as well, push your iso to the max and try to shoot without flash. spot meter the faces if using A or S mode.

following done in manual mode on a D70s and a sigma 12-24, from a recent local event

shutter speed = 1/20
f-number = 5.6
focal length = 12mm
iso = 1600
no flash

full frame
spore02.jpg

close up crop
spore01.jpg

DSLR range might still be too narrow to cover the wide difference in contrast

i'm thinking.. even iso400 usnig f4 u should be able to get in ambient light... not ALOT lar.. but still ok.

yes u can say that again.. D2H high iso.. :sweat: :sweat:

that`s why I stuff tissue paper into the diffuser dome to cut down the flash output. then I heard this "Is that your flash burning?" :eek:

TMC said:
that`s why I stuff tissue paper into the diffuser dome to cut down the flash output. then I heard this "Is that your flash burning?" :eek:

why not just cut down the power of your flash?

Becoz I CBD, went to +2ev to the flash instead of -2EV, learning experience.......got to learn more about flash photography......:(

TMC said:
Becoz I CBD, went to +2ev to the flash instead of -2EV, learning experience.......got to learn more about flash photography......:(

well, yah, part and parcel of experience, takes time to get used to also. best is still hands on and find your most preferred method

stuff tissue in the diffuser?
just - the flash output will do..........................or can take one with falsh one without and cut and paste the ...in the
ps

TMC said:
CBD? TMC, don't mind explaining the term? Don't understand. :confused:

Canew said:
CBD? TMC, don't mind explaining the term? Don't understand. :confused:
CBD is a STG acronymn :bsmilie:

Anyway, ISO~ 400-800, f/5.6 (assuming 17-35 f/2.8 AF-S used) at a distance of about 1.5M~2M would get you sharp people with background if the flash is bounced off a card, shutter approx 1/45s~1/60s.

Anyway this is just a guide, don't apply it strictly, TMC.

PM me if you need more information.

catchlights said:
DSC_6247.jpg

ISO 500, 1/25, f4, flash used

DSC_6251.jpg

ISO 500, 1/25, f5, flash used

Very good samples shown by catchlights ... :thumbsup:

Using slower shutter speed ... above 1/30 may not works well .. :sweat:

24840594.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.