ERP $5

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the PIE sliproad into CTE. And FYI, more gantries on the way...
Didn't we see this coming since 2 years back? It's no big surprise.

What is surprising is that car park rates are still lagging behind... shouldn't the rates be going up faster? Especially with land prices this high, parking rates should increase by at least another 50% (to be in line with other major cities). Otherwise there is no incentive to build car park spaces over office & retail spaces.

Although the road length (in lane-km) available to per vehicle has reduced by about 10% in the last 10 years (*calculated based on figures released by LTA) and vehicle population has increased from 683,000 in 1997 to now over 800,000 (17% increase), we still have plenty of roads left to use. We have much better average speeds compared to Thailand, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc.

Problems with road congestion? Well, As long as you don't live anywhere along the PIE, the CTE and work in town, you should be fine. Won't you agree that the roads in Lim Chu Kang, Neo Tiew, Tuas South Ave 10, Changi Perimeter Road, etc are rather free flowing even during peak hours? Ever considered looking for a place to live in those areas?

Dumping the car and switch over to public transport? MRT? Taxis? You won't want to get me started on Taxis.. :blah: :rolleyes:

since when ERP helps S'poreans to own cars ? MONEY is the one that help u own a car !

:sweat:
But... But.... People are buying cars that cost like $50K a pop and are screaming about high charges? :dunno:

But... But.... People are buying cars that cost like $50K a pop and are screaming about high charges? :dunno:

that is the point govt is looking.. if " consumer spending " on big ticket items is on the rise..then those complaints on rising fees are deemed as feedback loh...

the every fact u can buy a car, mean u can pay ERP ! :sweatsm:

:bsmilie: that's why, $5 where got pain? want to chop one time chop 5000% :thumbsup:

hiya.. if u can buy cars, camera stuff that worth thousands and thousands... i guess u had little arguement on grounds of being unable to afford a $5 ERP charge.

This clause "The use of ERP to manage traffic has made it possible for more Singaporeans to own cars" quite true else govt wont lower the COE and taxes. When the COE is low, so buying a car become more affordable. Govt takesthe chance and then increases the ERP charges when they see the expressway flood with cars. That's the way they earn Singaporean money. And that's part of Singapore culture as Singaporeans have the spending power and willing to spend more.

i tell u... some of my ah moh frens who came here to work made a remark " why do u guys need cars ? your subways, buses and cabs are very smooth and fast.. your cars are very expensive.." :sweat:

It's just a matter of time that KPE means Kau Pay Everyday.

btw ... anyone saw the documentary on KPE? we can also say singaporeans own cars to flood the roads and that helped the engineers come up with the world class SEAsia's longest underground expressway with amazing engineering feat :thumbsup:

eh.

ERP helps more Singaporeans to own cars k?

Actually, this is kind of true. Econs experts, please forgive me - I didn't actually study Econs.

In an economics book, there is this reference to the problem of controlling number of cars on the road. The situation is that with a car, there is generally a huge up-front cost (price of car), and a very small (by comparison) marginal cost every time you drive (price of petrol consumed).

Since once you have paid the huge up front cost, you will be inclined to drive everywhere, since the marginal cost is so low, compared to convenience you get back.

However, this situation is not ideal. The proposed solution was to lower the up-front cost, and increase the marginal cost. This way, the consumer can own a car, but using the information he has, will make a decision whether to drive or not.

The government has been going this way, by dropping the COE cost gradually, and having more ERP gateways.

So for the newly-married couple who has to go through 2 x $5 ERP everyday to work, might choose not to drive and take a train to work, saving the car for weekend trips away and grocery shopping at Tampines Giant.

For the busy CEO whose time is money, decides that $5 is a small fee to be paid for getting to sign his million dollar contract on time, will choose to drive.

That way, everybody wins. You can get a car, however, you choose when to drive, by balancing the pros and cons.

More expensive than park n ride scheme. Luckily me didn't own a car after having a license. :sweat:

Cars increase might not be ppl owning car. Last time where got so many car rental company compare to now? One car rental company can easily own 30 cars in a go, you can see how is the ratio like. Then also got so many millionaires in sg thanks to toto. So, in the end, more n more cars surface. I think on avg, ratio of family to a car is 0.2 or less. The rest is make up by other factors.

Time for me to bring my bicycle out n cycle again. Keep fit n beat the ERP n jams. :sticktong

Time for me to bring my bicycle out n cycle again. Keep fit n beat the ERP n jams. :sticktong

some auntie will complain to the police you cycle on pedestrian path and some uncle will complain to the police you cycle on the road :bsmilie: the cycle goes on and on and on ...

how come i got a feeling that you are saying the road hoggers are in association...

just the other day, [sunday], witness an accident on CTE, was on lane 1, then suddenly 1 bugger zham brake on lane 2... cause everyone behind to zham brake and unfortunately, i hear skidding sound and crash... suay to them...

Me consider inexperience enough. That day when I rented a car, one lady in white scooter(P-plate also), even more inexperience than me.

I was travelling at 2nd lane (count from left side) and then, she from 3rd lane, cut into mine n slow down! :bigeyes: WTF! I was hitting 80km/h that time n luckily, I got time to react n lane change to outside. I pass by her n she still look at us. WTF again! Next time you all see a white scooter driven by a lady, beware of her. Lane change like her father owns the road like that one. :angry::thumbsd:

Well its supposed to cut both ways. Just hope that the road tax is reduced with all these erp hikes.

In the western part of the world i once lived in, toll booths were built for collecting money from road users to fund the brand new highways. Once sufficient $ had been collected, they would remove the toll booths. Toll fees were not expensive as it was a long term project to help the govt recover from their up front investment.

In singapore, old and new highways must have toll booths (ie erp gantries). It is not about funding new highways, but probably sparked off as an initial idea to alter traffic patterns. But does it really work? If one has to drive to work and there is only one highway, does he have a choice? Yes, he can go to work 2hrs before work starts to save a few dollars and go home 3 hours later after work. What can he do during these 5 extra hours? Have a new fling at the office and/or chat msn with some teens in another part of the world?

Productivity has to align with good quality life. It may not be an extravagant lifestyle, but at least the thought of going home timely for a nice family dinner would improve our lives. Likewise, a good breakfast time with kids is a great day to start the day without worrying about ERP gantry.

Status
Not open for further replies.