Equipment questions!

Hmm, while I agree the final product is what matters most, I think unless the photographer has an established track record or portfolio, he/she is not going to instill much confidence in the customer if he/she shows up with not so 'professional' equipment. And also, depending on how serious the event is, should also have backup equipment right? If the shots are very important, eg wedding vs kiddie birthday party, wld u hire a pro or a freelancer with no track record just to save some money?

Hmm, while I agree the final product is what matters most, I think unless the photographer has an established track record or portfolio, he/she is not going to instill much confidence in the customer if he/she shows up with not so 'professional' equipment. And also, depending on how serious the event is, should also have backup equipment right? If the shots are very important, eg wedding vs kiddie birthday party, wld u hire a pro or a freelancer with no track record just to save some money?

Some people will... because pictures to some people do not matter that much, so they are willing to take risks and go on the cheap.

heck who cares, I'm not a freelance or a pro but you can see me holding a 1000d+kit one day and 1d with L the other, while rest of the time 5d, I make do with whatever I have because I know exactly what I need.
Don't tell me what equip you use, show me what you can do! Try flickr on people like my fav: evil waffles she started out with 350d, see what she did to it!

Last edited:
why not...you might be surprise how some people can be so stingy..free lance or not..some might just ask who has a DSLR..
Interested? ok you do.
lol.

I guess to those customers who are not too fussy, they are willing to take a chance and the priority is to save money. Lol.

I plan to photograph events, however I'm not going to take on a job until I find out the limitations of my 450D... ISO/noise is my main concern.
For events I can use flash, but it's so unflattering.

Events/non-events, day/night, flash is a god-send "controlled-light" in your HANDS (IF you know how to use it)!!!!!

Yes, very true. Having an impressive portfolio but think that they can do any event with just ONE basic cam and flash (some hardcore "natural-light" smart alec might not even want to get instead) but zero backup, experiences??? Then in the end - Shoot for free? Oh please, especially to people who only stress on the non-stop "man-behind the cam" record-breaking tune.

Photography as a hobby and as a profession is two very different thing

As a hobby, it doesn't matter what equipment the photographer use, as long as he can produce good results

As a professional, no matter how good the photographer is, the outfit must look pro too. Its about the confidence you give to the client

I quote my Property agent friend as an example:
luxury car has nothing to do with selling property, but there was once a client told my friend that after seeing so many agents, he decided to buy from my friend. Its because my friend's car gave him the confidence that my friend is trustworthy and must have been doing things right so that he can afford to buy the car

It might not be true all the time(my friend could have borrowed the car) but still it gives client a sense of confidence

Photography as a hobby and as a profession is two very different thing

As a hobby, it doesn't matter what equipment the photographer use, as long as he can produce good results

As a professional, no matter how good the photographer is, the outfit must look pro too. Its about the confidence you give to the client

I quote my Property agent friend as an example:
luxury car has nothing to do with selling property, but there was once a client told my friend that after seeing so many agents, he decided to buy from my friend. Its because my friend's car gave him the confidence that my friend is trustworthy and must have been doing things right so that he can afford to buy the car

It might not be true all the time(my friend could have borrowed the car) but still it gives client a sense of confidence

But if I see a property agent with too expensive or too luxury a car, i will not work with him/her. Just me.

heck who cares, I'm not a freelance or a pro but you can see me holding a 1000d+kit one day and 1d with L the other, while rest of the time 5d, I make do with whatever I have because I know exactly what I need.
Don't tell me what equip you use, show me what you can do! Try flickr on people like my fav: evil waffles she started out with 350d, see what she did to it!

I think both pro level equipment and skills matter. So what if I can produce great pictures in great light at great locations with an iPhone? When I go into low light environments everything falls apart, no matter how much skill I have.

Pro level equipment inspires confidence, can produce good results more consistently, and are more reliable. That is something I would look for. I am well aware that cheap equipment can produce great results. In fact the most viewed photo on my flickr photostream was taken with a kit lens. However, the kit lens cannot serve me in all the situations that I want to shoot in. I needed something wider, and that was why I sold away my kit lens and got a 12-24.

pro grade camera make you look very pro, act very pro, or make your shoot faster.
it can boost your ego,
or shut your clients/customers/competitors' mouths

but it can't help you with composition, creativity interpretation on your subject, eyes for details, judgement on decisive moment, use of color harmony, creating the mood by finding/seeing/using the lighting.