Epson printer class-action lawsuit settlement (US)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photobug

May 9, 2005
Wild Wild West
Source: Here

Epson has settled a class-action lawsuit in the US regarding its inkjet printers. The complaint was that Epson's cartridges indicate that they're empty when they are not, and that the printers will refuse to operate even though ink remains in the cartridge.
Epson continues to deny any wrong-doing but has settled. The settlement offer gives three options:

o $45 credit at Epson's e-store (the default benefit)
o $25 by check + $20 credit at Epson's e-store
o 25% off purchases at Epson's e-store up to a limit of $100 credit

The selected e-store benefit is applied to each qualifying printer registered under the settlement program - if you have multiple Epson printers, you get multiple benefits. It's not clear to me if the $25 check is per printer or per claimant.
Claims must be made by June 22, 2006.

For details: http://www.epsonsettlement.com/

Thanks to David Emerick at The Online Photographer for bringing this to my attention:
http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2006/04/epson-lawsuit.html

Interesting... any similar expedited-catridge-expenditure technology in other brands?

Thanks for informing.

Any idea how to claim if we're in SG?

igpenguin said:
Interesting... any similar expedited-catridge-expenditure technology in other brands?
wow... a landmark case... apparently Canon's latest chromalife 100 ink comes with a microchip (which makes each cartridge more ex), it is suppose to stop the printer from printing once the ink gets low. It also prevents us from using 3rd party cartridges without chips.

Xing said:
wow... a landmark case... apparently Canon's latest chromalife 100 ink comes with a microchip (which makes each cartridge more ex), it is suppose to stop the printer from printing once the ink gets low. It also prevents us from using 3rd party cartridges without chips.

Hi Xing,

I don't think the consumers are unhappy that the printers stop printing when the ink gets low, since firing the nozzles without ink is supposedly bad for the print head. If you read the case carefully, the consumers filed action against Epson because the printer stopped printing BEFORE the ink ran out, and refused to continue printing. There is a fair amount of surplus ink, which made consumers angry...

If you look at the Canon Think Tanks cartridges, they are fully transparent. You can see that the cartridges are virtually empty when the printer tells you so. That is totally different from the Epson case where consumers are forced to discard unused inks because of the chip.

Would anyone know if chip resetters are available here? I have a 4000 Stylus and am looking for a resetter.

Status
Not open for further replies.