Epson Perfection 2450 Photo scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by nuts
When you say, quality is not that good, you refering to the ultra high slide scan or the negatives or both?
You're doing it ColourLab Photo? thanks

..NuTs..

The negative ones are quite okay, the slide ones are a bit disappointing. Looks about 1-stop underexposed, and sometimes, not very sharp.

Regards
CK

hi Ckiang,

my fren's fren happened to be working at the Epson showroom!
he said that i can bring my own slide and he'll do the demo. i believe u can do that too. ;)

btw The RRP is $830. and this machine is bulky!
W:304mm
L:476mm
Thickness: 122mm!!!!! :what:
Weight: 5.8kg! (but not as if have to carry ard at home :D)

hope can get ard $700 at SLS.. :p

Originally posted by hackie
hi Ckiang,

my fren's fren happened to be working at the Epson showroom!
he said that i can bring my own slide and he'll do the demo. i believe u can do that too. ;)

btw The RRP is $830. and this machine is bulky!
W:304mm
L:476mm
Thickness: 122mm!!!!! :what:
Weight: 5.8kg! (but not as if have to carry ard at home :D)

hope can get ard $700 at SLS.. :p

That's cool. I will drop by when I have the time to. Not too bulky to me leh, at least not as big as I thought. Those slimline scanners usually suck.

Yeah, if Funan is $775, maybe can get closer to $700 at SLS. Hopefully. But only if it's as good as the reviewers say. :)

Regards
CK

hey JIMMY!! here here!! :D

Negative Scan

perhaps u wanna read the review written by someone else i posted in the 1st thread. :)

btw u scanned the negative in the holder or directly on the glass? as seen frm the review, there's a diff in grain and sharpness.. :)

sorry for the trouble lah.. but i'm very interested in this scanner for poor old me.... :D

hey JIMMY!! here here!! :D

Negative Scan

perhaps u wanna read the review written by someone else i posted in the 1st thread. :)

btw u scanned the negative in the holder or directly on the glass? as seen frm the review, there's a diff in grain and sharpness.. :)

sorry for the trouble lah.. but i'm very interested in this scanner for poor old me....

That link seems like it's not working. :(

If it's good enough, it can save me a lot of money. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

That link seems like it's not working. :(

If it's good enough, it can save me a lot of money. :)

Regards
CK

hi ck.. u have to copy the whole URL and paste in the address bar.. ;)

or try this. (sorry jimmy. hope u dun mind me saving in my folder for easier access.. :) )
http://www.fujifilm.com.sg/storage/photos/hackie/HOME/test.jpg

hi ck.. u have to copy the whole URL and paste in the address bar.. ;)

or try this. (sorry jimmy. hope u dun mind me saving in my folder for easier access.. :) )
http://www.fujifilm.com.sg/storage/photos/hackie/HOME/test.jpg

Thanks! That works now. Copy & paste of the original also works. One of those silly things that photo hosting sites do again. :(

Jimmy, do you have portraiture or landscape-type subjects? ;)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by YSLee
No ICE.. what a pain.

That's the downside. The Canon D2400UF has Canon ICE (FARE), and is supposedly quite capable too. But the 2450 seemed to be a better scanner. And it has FireWire, one of the main attractions for me. :)

Regards
CK

What's ICE?

Ok..here's another:

fdd40318.jpg

Scanned at 1200 dpi of the photo this time.

Close up of the same shot without any reduction of size:
fdd4026b.jpg

click
here for the full image.

Originally posted by Jimmy Liew
What's ICE?

Ok..here's another:

click
here for the full image.

Thanks for the images.

ICE = Image Correction and Enhancement, a technology by Applied Science Fiction that reads the surface of the film and removes scratches and dust particles in the final scan.

Regards
CK

Hi guys,

I have asked abt the price of d epson 2450 scanner at some of the simlimsq shops on d 5th/6th stories, altho' d stock has yet to arrive, they told me tat d price will be around about $750...based on my experience, I dun think tat their quotation will be very much off d actual price when d stock finally arrive

xllms

Finally got around to getting a demo at the Epson showroom. The guy was friendly enough, also explained that the PC there is not very powerful, so scanning times will be long.

First time: He setup the scanner to scan my slide at 2400dpi, 24-bit, USM on, but scaling was 468%. Yeah, ridiculous. Resulted in a 300+ MB file, and the whole process took like 10 minutes. Results were bad, since there's 468% of interpolation going on.

2nd try: I turned off the USM and set scaling to 100%. MUCH faster of coz, since it's now a 16MB file.

Like the review said, the scans were a bit softer compared to dedicated film scanners. Quite a large USM is needed in Photoshop to bring the sharpness up to acceptable levels. At 50% view, the scan appears good enough. Overall not good enough for me, but for most people should be fine.

This is a good scanner for the money, if you want something that scans prints, 35mm slides and negs, medium format slides and negs and even large format 4x5" film.

The firewire port is a plus if your system supports it. SRP $839. Street price was reported to be $750 or so.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.