EPL-6 + 12-40 2.8

gnesgnoy

Dec 22, 2009
Pasir Ris
Hi,
Anyone with EPL-5/6/7 that is with 12-40 2.8. Thinking of getting this lens for travel. Alternatively, is it better to upgrade the body to EM-5/Em-5II with this lens with these advantages.

1) 5 axis stabilization instead of 3.
2) More buttons especially choosing f stop is much easier with EM-5
3) Weather sealed
4) Better quality on LCD
5) EVF

Another alternative is to upgrade to EM-1.

Thanks!

Hi , You have already listed the advantages of the EM5ii and EM1 quite clearly so I won't go there again , hence to me it's back to your budget and your choice of camera coming to handling.

One EM1 body can cost close to 3 EPL bodies to make a point but u get what u pay for generally.

The EPLs are casual cameras more suited for users who prefer to let the camera handle the settings while the EM1 gives u way more options. The EPL pair better with the 12-50 or 14-42 in my opinion and also if u are into selfies, the EPL7 and EM5ii will make it easier too.

Lastly WR is also an option to consider and that given the 12-40/2.8 isn't the lightest MFT lens , it may be good to consider the EM1 or EM5ii with grip.

Last edited:
Ergonomically, it's hard to handle the 12-40 for long durations with the Pen cameras, EPL5 you can get an additonal grip, which helps to some extend, I don't think PL6/7 has this option. With EM5s you can get grips which are even better. You should also consider the cost of built in EVF vs buying a VF4 which is useful on strong light and outdoor. If you decide EPL5, i have a spare grip, can get from me, it's beige though.

Ergonomically, it's hard to handle the 12-40 for long durations with the Pen cameras, EPL5 you can get an additonal grip, which helps to some extend, I don't think PL6/7 has this option. With EM5s you can get grips which are even better. You should also consider the cost of built in EVF vs buying a VF4 which is useful on strong light and outdoor. If you decide EPL5, i have a spare grip, can get from me, it's beige though.

Thanks all for your informative comments. I already have a VF4 which I bought it to use it with my Samyang 7.5mm focusing,

In that case, may consider em-1, but considering its size as well. I did google for EM-5 with grip and looks good, but will have to visit Olympus showroom to have a physical touch on it.

Cheers....man