penny-lane24.blogspot.com
Olympus EP-1 kit zoom with 14-42 len
Special Price : $1198(inc.gst) free 8 g card, bag with cleaning kit
and tripod, lcd protector,card holder .plus free Olympus FL14 flash worth
$308

retail $1298(inc.gst)

Brand: Olympus
Model: E-P1 twin lens kit (M. ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 and M. ZUIKO
DIGITAL 17mm f2.8 + Hotshoe Optical Viewfinder)

Price : $1499(inc.gst) free 8 g card and bag, mini tripod and cleaning kit
plus free Olympus FL 14 worth $308

Olympus EP2 kit with 14-42mm or PANCAKE len----$1560(inc.gst)

free 8g card, digital kit ( bag with mini tripod, cleaning kit, lcd
protector)

entitle to buy FL14 flash at $99

Hi guys, I got this following quotation from a reputable camera shop. Now, I'm not sure if I should get the EP-2 or EP-1 because for around the same amount with the ep-2, I could get a kit lense and pancake lense for the ep-1. (Do I really need the kit lense?)

I'm not sure about this, but if im not wrong, the difference between these two are only the additional art filters on the ep-2.

Any advice?

Didn't you leave something out of the EP2 kit... the superb EVF? The EVF is useful when shooting outdoors in bright sunlight when the LCD screen is difficult to view, and when manual focusing.

The EP1 kit does not have an EVF nor could it connect with the EVF even if you bought one separately.

The FL14 would work faultlessly in TTL mode only with the EP2. On the EP1, it would overexpose grossly when used closed up, so it would be next to useless even though it is free with the EP1. It is too weak to be used for longer distance.

Last edited:
If you're new to digital cameras, the EVF mentioned above is Electronic View Finder...rather than just using the large LCD monitor there's a viewfinder that you can put your eye to that's electronic rather than optical. The E-P1 DOESN'T have that option while the E-P2 does.

im also thinking of which to get? haha where u got ur quote from for 1560 for ep2?

Get the EP2, the EVF is useful, with the pancake lens of course. You still can shoot without the zoom lens, buy it when you have extra money in the future.

i thought the kit lens was a better performer than the pancake?

I recommend getting EP2 with 14-42. and get panny pancake lens which is faster than oly pancake. or else get a manual 50mm/f2 with adapter.

Didn't you leave something out of the EP2 kit... the superb EVF? The EVF is useful when shooting outdoors in bright sunlight when the LCD screen is difficult to view, and when manual focusing.

The EP1 kit does not have an EVF nor could it connect with the EVF even if you bought one separately.

The FL14 would work faultlessly in TTL mode only with the EP2. On the EP1, it would overexpose grossly when used closed up, so it would be next to useless even though it is free with the EP1. It is too weak to be used for longer distance.

Hmmm... I'm not sure bout this, but doesn't the optical viewfinder which comes with ep-1 more or less serve the main purpose as with the EVF? Which is to shoot outdoors in bright sunlight when the LCD screen is difficult to view. (Though the EVF is much more versatile) I'm not an avid photographer, therefore i'm not sure if I really need the EVF or I just can make-do without it. Same goes with the FL14. :confused:

im also thinking of which to get? haha where u got ur quote from for 1560 for ep2?

Haha... To me the ep-1 looks cooler, but it's foolish to buy a camera just because it looks good. But then again, I might be foolish :bsmilie: The quote? I got it from MS Colors :thumbsup:

i thought the kit lens was a better performer than the pancake?

Yar, so if I were to decide to get only one lens first, which lens should I go for first? Kit lens or pancake?

Yar, so if I were to decide to get only one lens first, which lens should I go for first? Kit lens or pancake?

I think for your first lens the 14-42 would be good as a starter and agree about getting the 20mm from Panasonic later on

I tried to take some pics in the afternoon along the road...you would not be able to see much on the LCD as its quite faded...better with the EVF as you can see if your pic is ok...

Sorry i dun quite agree taking the zoom lens instead of the pancake, both kits are sold at same price (EP2), why take the cheaper lens?. Performance wise i dunno lah. You can get 2nd hand 14-42mm for less than $200, some even offer $150.

If you want the 20mm panny, trade your pancake lens + $300.

Overall, if you pay $1,560 with a zoom lens kit + $570 for panny pancake in the future, its not worth it at all.

Last edited:
You're right. I didn't think of their prices.

But I was thinking 14-42mm as more versatile than the pancake, although it's cheaper than the pancake in resale value.

How about you get the EP1 with 14-42 lens kit and EP2 pancake lens kit, and then you sell away EP1 body and extra freebies.

Then you'll have all you need: EVF function, and dual lenses.

Why dont wait for EPL-1?
It's newer and it's launch should help reduce the prices of ep-1 & ep-2...so in the end..win win...
It can also use the EVF and test if AF is better too

But I was thinking 14-42mm as more versatile than the pancake, although it's cheaper than the pancake in resale value.

How about you get the EP1 with 14-42 lens kit and EP2 pancake lens kit, and then you sell away EP1 body and extra freebies.

:sweat::sweat: you lagi best..... too much money to spend izzit? hahaha...

Sorry i dun quite agree taking the zoom lens instead of the pancake, both kits are sold at same price (EP2), why take the cheaper lens?. Performance wise i dunno lah. You can get 2nd hand 14-42mm for less than $200, some even offer $150.

If you want the 20mm panny, trade your pancake lens + $300.

Overall, if you pay $1,560 with a zoom lens kit + $570 for panny pancake in the future, its not worth it at all.

Hmm... At the moment, this sounds good... I don't know how impt is it (14-42mm) gonna be to me but it might take me some time to save up for it. :embrass:

Dude, I don't have that much money :sweat: Still need petrol money to cari makan... :bsmilie:

Why dont wait for EPL-1?
It's newer and it's launch should help reduce the prices of ep-1 & ep-2...so in the end..win win...
It can also use the EVF and test if AF is better too

Dunno why, but the EPL-1 doesn't appeal that much to me as EP-1/EP-2 does. But if its existence gonna help reduce the price of EP-1/EP-2...then I'm here to wait. ;p

Thanks guys for the opinions. For now, it's EP-2+Pancake lens for me. Then save up a bit more to get 14-42mm.
But if my holiday plans are materialize, the might b getting the EP-2 + 14-42mm. :D

The epl1 is a few more days from availability. Why not try both the ep2 and the epl1 and decide? The epl1 is much better than it's looks and price suggests. It boils down to which model can meet your needs at the lowest cost

last night while shooting at esplanade roof top, a group asked me to take their photo using their Pen with a zoom lens (sorry not sure if it was Pen 1 or 2). without flash, i have no idea how to take it as the background was the bright lighted CBD buildings.

also, to make things worst, it kept focusing at the CBD, so I kept telling them to hold on because the camera is focusing at the wrong place, and the girls laughed. so emberassing.

they were standing about 4-5m to the right of the pup at the roof top, so they were all very dark when i look at the LCD trying focus.

i am seeking help here so as not to make myself look like a fool, taking shot after shot, than trying to find the pop up flash (didnt know its a Pen until Peterpan1975 told me).:embrass::embrass:

Last edited:
last night while shooting at esplanade roof top, a group asked me to take their photo using their Pen with a zoom lens (sorry not sure if it was Pen 1 or 2). without flash, i have no idea how to take it as the background was the bright lighted CBD buildings.

also, to make things worst, it kept focusing at the CBD, so I kept telling them to hold on because the camera is focusing at the wrong place, and the girls laughed. so emberassing.

they were standing about 4-5m to the right of the pup at the roof top, so they were all very dark when i look at the LCD trying focus.

i am seeking help here so as not to make myself look like a fool, taking shot after shot, than trying to find the pop up flash (didnt know its a Pen until Peterpan1975 told me).:embrass::embrass:

In that kind of situation where there is a bright background, and a dark foreground, u NEED a flash or an alternate light source to light your foreground. I do not think ANY camera out there can get you out of this spot without additional light.

Also, BTW, just want to say that with the launch of the E-PL1 with the pop-up flash, it has become clearer to me, that the E-P1 is a more "pro" model than the E-PL1. This is analogous to the situation in most DSLR camera makes, where their most pro models do not have inbuilt flash.....eg. E1, D700, D3, 1D etc.

Thus, the E-P1/2 is actually not the best camera for fun photographers...ie. it is not exactly idiot-proof. I think with the E-PL1, we now have a more idiot-proof m4/3 camera. Like Antonio said (Oly Sg marketing director), the E-PL1 is the direct equivalent to the GF1, not the E-P1/2.

You need to know EP1/2 functions well to avoid your incidents, not your fault, the owner of that camera didnt set the proper settings for you :)