EOS M5 coming before Photokina

Guys did the review for M5 mention about the shutter cable? Or I miss it ?

Guys did the review for M5 mention about the shutter cable? Or I miss it ?

From the pictures on the side you could see the shuttle release.

Thinking hard to upgrade from M3 or not. The built-in EVF, shutter release, same battery is a plus. The screen turn down 180 degrees instead of up now, but would still prefer if they could do it sideways.

The price is really challenging this round (unlike M3 was really great offer when Japan initial release)

From the pictures on the side you could see the shuttle release.

Thinking hard to upgrade from M3 or not. The built-in EVF, shutter release, same battery is a plus. The screen turn down 180 degrees instead of up now, but would still prefer if they could do it sideways.

The price is really challenging this round (unlike M3 was really great offer when Japan initial release)
If its me, I will upgrade cos of the better focusing system. But then again I will have to try it out, especially for low light situations. The M3 really cannot make it. Also not I do not have to swop between the evf or the flash. It can do it concurrently.

Thats my take

Amazon has opened pre-order for $9xx (body only). What price do you expect here in SG?

Amazon has opened pre-order for $9xx (body only). What price do you expect here in SG?

Direct currency conversion + 7% GST.

Which would be about SG$13++/- .

Direct currency conversion + 7% GST.

Which would be about SG$13++/- .
Wow this price for body really HTB - Hard to Buy hahahaha

Unless Canon Singapore pulls off something different, that would most probably be the MSRP.
Its more or less the case with everything else actually if you look at the price comparisons.

OR .. the prices on Amazon are not the MSRP. We can only guess based on available information though.

It won't be cheap. B & H is selling at US$979.

When this EOS M5 will be launch at singapore ?
Please share the launch date.

Likely around Dec.

Can call Canon Sales team and check with them would be a better option.

Likely around Dec.

Can call Canon Sales team and check with them would be a better option.

Called but no answer from them either

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Can I check what are the + points you considered for wanting to buy the M5?

I've been shooting with a Canon DSLR cam. Recently, I've decided to have a smaller but capable mirrorless camera as a second body for portability and light travel.

I find there are many brands out there which have snatched a good portion of business from big names like Canon. Notably, many professional photographers have already switched from Canon to Fuji and Sony cameras.

Comparing the price of the M5 body only (US$979) vs other excellent cameras like the Sony A6300 (US$998) and Fuji X-E2S (US$699), what would be the motivation to get the M5? Is it because of your familiarity with the brand or because there are advantages over the other cameras? Those prices are not too far off. The Fuji in fact is much cheaper and has very good lenses to go with it.

Initially, I thought since I already have various Canon lenses, it will be good to get the M5. But then, I realize that defeats the purpose of traveling light. I also need to pay a bit more for an adapter to use EF lenses with the M5. Moreover, I wold imagine that the balance of weight of heavier EF lenses on the lighter M5 body will not be ideal.

Unfortunately, I find native lenses for the M5 have smaller apertures. That's the - points. For Fuji and Sony, they have compact and constant f/4 lenses. Body-wise, many have said that Canon is already behind in technology as far as noise control, number of focusing points etc are concerned.

Hope to hear your thoughts! Thanks for sharing.

Hi Guys,

Can I check what are the + points you considered for wanting to buy the M5?

I've been shooting with a Canon DSLR cam. Recently, I've decided to have a smaller but capable mirrorless camera as a second body for portability and light travel.

I find there are many brands out there which have snatched a good portion of business from big names like Canon. Notably, many professional photographers have already switched from Canon to Fuji and Sony cameras.

Comparing the price of the M5 body only (US$979) vs other excellent cameras like the Sony A6300 (US$998) and Fuji X-E2S (US$699), what would be the motivation to get the M5? Is it because of your familiarity with the brand or because there are advantages over the other cameras? Those prices are not too far off. The Fuji in fact is much cheaper and has very good lenses to go with it.

Initially, I thought since I already have various Canon lenses, it will be good to get the M5. But then, I realize that defeats the purpose of traveling light. I also need to pay a bit more for an adapter to use EF lenses with the M5. Moreover, I wold imagine that the balance of weight of heavier EF lenses on the lighter M5 body will not be ideal.

Unfortunately, I find native lenses for the M5 have smaller apertures. That's the - points. For Fuji and Sony, they have compact and constant f/4 lenses. Body-wise, many have said that Canon is already behind in technology as far as noise control, number of focusing points etc are concerned.

Hope to hear your thoughts! Thanks for sharing.

M5 + 22 f2 + 11-22 is good combo for travel. Anyway, EF-M lenses are limited.
Like what you said...for that price point, there are better choice.

I traveled with EF-M 22 and EF-S 40 (with adapter), worked well. The EF-S 24 is another option if one doesn't have / like the EF-M 22. For longer lenses the basics of physics applies: they are all larger.
One thing to take note: most of these lenses for mirroless, for all brands, have quite pronounced distortion characteristics. It needs the in-camera function or third party software to correct this. The 'big lenses' work better here.

A little background about myself.

I have been using the EOS M3 for quite some time including portiat shots, events, leisure, with EF-L lense and a few other lenses including third-party ones.

At low light, M3's auto focusing will kill you. It is super slow, making miss many shots in low light.

As the trailer shows, it auto focusing increased in low light increase becos of the dual af, it will be an step up, an upgrade for me.

As for now, im still sticking to Canon.

As said, Canon is slightly behind in technology but it's okay. No need to enter it too fast... technology not perfect yet I feel.

As for why I still stick to Canon?
Reliable, rugged, variety of lenses(Saying in general), cust care and cust service it just up there.

So as I just said above, maybe thats why they do not want to meet the technology when its not reliable, and not able to compare with its current and predecessors.

Thanks for all your sharing. Yes, I've heard about the poor AF of the M3 and earlier. For those eyeing on the M5, hopefully that has been improved.

Since I will only be needing a mirrorless 2nd body when traveling light and it serves as a backup, I am strongly inclined towards Fuji and Sony now. Really impressed with their many features. 4K video is another thing I wish to try out also, which Canon is still behind even with the new 5D IV.

Thanks for all your sharing. Yes, I've heard about the poor AF of the M3 and earlier. For those eyeing on the M5, hopefully that has been improved.

Since I will only be needing a mirrorless 2nd body when traveling light and it serves as a backup, I am strongly inclined towards Fuji and Sony now. Really impressed with their many features. 4K video is another thing I wish to try out also, which Canon is still behind even with the new 5D IV.

Here the AF test of M5...pretty impressive at least for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF66L2HrW28&feature=youtu.be [AF speed]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p2bR_swy5c&feature=youtu.be [touch AF speed]