EOS 7D user,information sharing thread.

lens vignetting can be corrected within the 7D isnt it? unless the new 15-85 lens info havent been added into the 7D.

i presume the 3rd party flash is triggered via the centre pin? maybe blocking the other 4 pin connections on the hotshoe might help? :dunno:

regarding the fps settings on the 7D
if u set ur cam video system to PAL it can only take 24, 25 and 50fps (since these are PAL specifications)
change it to NTSC, and u can take 24, 30 and 60fps. (NTSC standards)

i used the peripheral illumination correction but vignetting is still quite noticeable especially with light/white background

thanks, now i can record using 30 frames

well apart from the above, i love my 7D

Hi all,

Just got my 7D couples of days back (about a week).

got the body only...borrowed lens from friend to play.

bought 50mm f1.8 II just now.

My friend recommended me to get EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM.
What is your guys take? good for general shooting?

Hi all,

Just got my 7D couples of days back (about a week).

got the body only...borrowed lens from friend to play.

bought 50mm f1.8 II just now.

My friend recommended me to get EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM.
What is your guys take? good for general shooting?

A lot depends on your range of shooting. If you friend has a wide range of lenses, do borrow and find your range before committing to any lens purchase. However, according to this poll, most 7D user will be using the 17-55mm f2.8 as their primary lens.

Okie.
So far none of my friends own 17-55 but I read up the review, sounds good thou.

ask you guys...

Bought my 7D at $2599

-7Dbody

freebies:
-1 x 8gig CF (king)
-2 x 4gig CF Ultra II (scan)
-dry box
-screen protector
-camera bag
-tripod (nikon SL-768)
-sunblitz digi A628 flash

u think its a :thumbsup: :thumbsd: or so so buy?

ask you guys...

Bought my 7D at $2599

-7Dbody

freebies:
-1 x 8gig CF (king)
-2 x 4gig CF Ultra II (scan)
-dry box
-screen protector
-camera bag
-tripod (nikon SL-768)
-sunblitz digi A628 flash

u think its a :thumbsup: :thumbsd: or so so buy?

This afternoon visited canon showroom at vivocity.
7D body Bundle with free goodie from canon sg should be 2 4g CF card and canon pro bag. RRP is S$2699.
You can decided from here , Do you Need those freebie?
If you are new user may can be consider.

I finally lay my hands on the 17-55 f2.8. Now I have 10-22, 17-55 and 24-105... it is a fair bit of overlap and may consider giving up 24-105 for 70-200. If I move towards the 70-200, the next question will be f2.8 or f4.

Half my heart goes to f2.8 but the other half pull me back due to the weight of the lens... f4 is definitely much lighter.....

Sign.. life is full of choices... and too many choices is no good....

Hi there! I totally agree with hobbit6003, the better choice for casual fotogs (i'm one too) would be the f4 . . . i travel quite a bit, and i'm really glad i made the right choice . . . the IQ is actually the same, if not better (according to some websites), as compared to the f2.8 (if shooting @ f4 also) version . . . then there's the price . . . you'll be saving around $800-$900 based on the prices i've seen here . . . with the savings, you can get other items like flash, tripod, bag, etc.

weight - check!
IQ - check!
price - check!

no regrets . . . i really love this lens! . . . well, hope this helps! :D

This afternoon visited canon showroom at vivocity.
7D body Bundle with free goodie from canon sg should be 2 4g CF card and canon pro bag. RRP is S$2699.
You can decided from here , Do you Need those freebie?
If you are new user may can be consider.

haha...but I bought at $2599 liao. wondering is it a good buy since a lot of places offers attractive packages.

freebies if not using, can sell off ba.

haha...but I bought at $2599 liao. wondering is it a good buy since a lot of places offers attractive packages.

freebies if not using, can sell off ba.

Compared to the street price of 7D (body only), you paid about $150-200 for all the freebies. If you need most of the freebies, I think it is a pretty good deal. Most important thing is to enjoy the camera :)

Thanks for the re-confirmation. You are right that the saving of SGD800-900 could go towards a tripod (which I currently do not have).

May pick up a copy of 70-200 next month.

Regards,

Hi there! I totally agree with hobbit6003, the better choice for casual fotogs (i'm one too) would be the f4 . . . i travel quite a bit, and i'm really glad i made the right choice . . . the IQ is actually the same, if not better (according to some websites), as compared to the f2.8 (if shooting @ f4 also) version . . . then there's the price . . . you'll be saving around $800-$900 based on the prices i've seen here . . . with the savings, you can get other items like flash, tripod, bag, etc.

weight - check!
IQ - check!
price - check!

no regrets . . . i really love this lens! . . . well, hope this helps! :D

Compared to the street price of 7D (body only), you paid about $150-200 for all the freebies. If you need most of the freebies, I think it is a pretty good deal. Most important thing is to enjoy the camera :)

haha...dats y I'm also thinking.
I only need the CF cards, screen protector, cam bag and dry box. Tripod and flash is kept one side. :bsmilie:

definitely enjoying the camera...do u recommend 17-55mm f2.8 IS over 24-70mm f2.8L? :)

Hi askquek,

how is the 17-55mm f2.8? how much you bought for?
intending to get one as friend recommended and read abt the review.

what's your personal take on the lens? :)

Hi askquek,

Do your friend has the 17-55 F2.8 IS lens. you may loan it for a weekend shooting.
or you can get rental a unit for few day in the weekend.
For crop camera EF-S 17-55 F2.8 can be nice match. Have IS and wide aperture up to F2.8.
But it build as not that good mean L quality in plastic casing.no weather seal on this lens.
that the remark i has this lens.Price is ex,but image quality are.... Once you trial it, know what i mean, you will love it.

decision Still Up to you, Loan ,rental and trial. How good the review of this lens is just a reference for you. after you trial out the result from this lens. you will have better understand , Do you really want or need it. it you call.

Do your friend has the 17-55 F2.8 IS lens. you may loan it for a weekend shooting.
or you can get rental a unit for few day in the weekend.
For crop camera EF-S 17-55 F2.8 can be nice match. Have IS and wide aperture up to F2.8.
But it build as not that good mean L quality in plastic casing.no weather seal on this lens.
that the remark i has this lens.Price is ex,but image quality are.... Once you trial it, know what i mean, you will love it.

decision Still Up to you, Loan ,rental and trial. How good the review of this lens is just a reference for you. after you trial out the result from this lens. you will have better understand , Do you really want or need it. it you call.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Got no friend using that lens but 24-70mm but I feel doesn't give me the range thou a great lens since mine is a crop body.

yah, maybe will loan it to try for some shoot. :D

I got this as my primary lens. Love it. I got it at $1550

Hi siron,
I wish I have the cash to get that lens. Think will take awhile for me to get it. haiz...:cry:

hopefully when I get it the price might drop slightly or best MORE...:bsmilie:

Thanks for the advice. :)

Got no friend using that lens but 24-70mm but I feel doesn't give me the range thou a great lens since mine is a crop body.

yah, maybe will loan it to try for some shoot. :D

24-70 f2.8 weight are not light and not IS and much ex than the 17-55 F2.8 IS.
17-55 in crop range is 27.2-88. 24-70 in crop range is 38.4-112. .
In wide end of 24-70 in 7D is lost about 11.2 with EF-S 17-55 that a lot in some suitation.
Even i have the 24-105 F4 IS,i still Keep the EF-S 17-85 :).But it don't have the F2.8 compare with EF-S 17-55.that always need to comprimise some areas.
If compare to latest EF-S 15-85 lens,it much better consider EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS.

Hi siron,
I wish I have the cash to get that lens. Think will take awhile for me to get it. haiz...:cry:

hopefully when I get it the price might drop slightly or best MORE...:bsmilie:

Can consider on the B&S section. Do you really need or want from a new unit ?
It take so time, or interest free installment with credit card. Not that good man.

Last edited:
24-70 f2.8 weight are not light and not IS and much ex than the 17-55 F2.8 IS.
17-55 in crop range is 27.2-88. 24-70 in crop range is 38.4-112. .
In wide end of 24-70 in 7D is lost about 11.2 with EF-S 17-55 that a lot in some suitation.
Even i have the 24-105 F4 IS,i still Keep the EF-S 17-85 :).But it don't have the F2.8 compare with EF-S 17-55.that always need to comprimise some areas.
If compare to latest EF-S 15-85 lens,it much better consider EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS.

Can consider on the B&S section. Do you really need or want from a new unit ?
It take so time, or interest free installment with credit card. Not that good man.

Yah...at first my friend(1) recommended 24-70mm (unless FF) but with 1.6x its a totally different lens not right for my body and also cost more.
Therefore my friend(2) recommended 17-55mm saying its good. That's y decided to plan to get the 17-55mm since I can shoot wide.

Saw the B&S, the prices I felt wasn't a big difference compared to a new one. some sell cheaper but sold liao. so might as well aim for a new one if B&S got good deal then grab. ;)

I finally lay my hands on the 17-55 f2.8. Now I have 10-22, 17-55 and 24-105... it is a fair bit of overlap and may consider giving up 24-105 for 70-200. If I move towards the 70-200, the next question will be f2.8 or f4.

Half my heart goes to f2.8 but the other half pull me back due to the weight of the lens... f4 is definitely much lighter.....

Sign.. life is full of choices... and too many choices is no good....
hi can show some pictures on 10-22mm? ur 10-22mm is canon efs wan rit?

i thinking of getting this lens....:)

Hi, I bought the 17-55 in Bangkok and the exact price is still unknown (subject to bank's exchange rate as I pay via credit card), however, based on simple calculation during the time of purchase, it should be about 1350-1400SGD.

Actually have not use the lens as I just bought it but will test it out on 7th November for a charity event.

I had been using the 24-105 and yes, it is a good lens but not too happy with the bokeh... prefer a very blurred background.

Plan to use the 17-55 as walkabout while 50f1.4 or 50f1.2 (if I am crazy enough) as portrait lens and reserve 24-105 for travel.

Hi askquek,