EOS 5D Mk2 - Destined Evolution Revealed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess would be .. It it weather sealed .. effective for 10mm amount of rain/3 mins ..

look like 20d upgrade to 30d...:thumbsd:
really disappointed...

think just one year,5d mk3 will come out....

You hit the nail on the head!

The 5D Mk2 has a lop sided set of features. Nikon's impending 24 MP FF with 51 pt AF system in a D700 body (D800?) will blow the 5D MK2 out of the window.

Superior AF. That's the only thing that seperate 1D series over everything else Canon makes. That still makes the 1D series a superior camera.

Let's start a 5D Mk 3 thread and let Canon knows what we really want in the 5D upgrade. The 5D Mk 2 isn't it!

Last edited:
At last the wait is over!

The specs may not be as impressive as the D700, but lets not forget that what matters most to the majority user group of 5D Mk2 is the image quality. Even the 5D Mk1 has better IQ than the D700 and D3. Its definitely a wondrful evolution for me as I need more megapixels and superb IQ at an affordable price. Printing mural size photos are no longer a problem.

At last the wait is over!

The specs may not be as impressive as the D700, but lets not forget that what matters most to the majority user group of 5D Mk2 is the image quality. Even the 5D Mk1 has better IQ than the D700 and D3. Its definitely a wondrful evolution for me as I need more megapixels and superb IQ at an affordable price. Printing mural size photos are no longer a problem.

That said, 5DI indeed has a very good IQ and might be better than D3 at the baseline ISO, but when it comes to higher ISO, of cos D3 would win, cos D3 is a few years in front. That said, I'm a Canon user myself and would certainly like to see the IQ and high ISO of the markII. ;p

tempting me to ditch my 5D for this new one with HD video !! :lovegrin:

any idea how much the grip will cost? will the old grip for 5D be usable on this 5DMII?

will the shops jack up the price for the 1st batch of cams imported?
if so, i'll wait til Jan next yr for price to stabilise first. ;p

the 9AF point system may be disappointing, but its not a decider imo for many people.

3.9FPS.... how many times do you use a high burst rate as compared to single shots?

how many need the tracking, fast AF? the previous xxD and 5D already has a decent speed for AF in most situations.

HD movie is a plus for me, imagine being able to shoot the airshow of an aeroplane fly by with a 100-400 L.

weather sealing..... well i dont know you guys, rainy day= no shoot day for me.

whats there to complain? 21 MP with such high native ISO values and a beautiful screen, this one is gonna prove its worth in terms of image quality, not speed;p

btw, D700/D3 may be great for speed, af and FPS, but in terms of finer details and image quality, the 5D still dominates imo, and its 3 years old:)

We'll have to wait and see if Canon will come out with 1Ds Mk 4 with HD Video. Then we'll know some people at Canon has lost their rocks!

i think i would love this cam if i was in one of the thai street protest... video and photos at the same time :lovegrin:

When classified according to amount of precipitation, rain can be divided into:[2]

* Very light rain &#8212; when the precipitation rate is < 0.25 mm/hour
* Light rain &#8212; when the precipitation rate is between 0.25 mm/hour - 1.0 mm/hour
* Moderate rain &#8212; when the precipitation rate is between 1.0 mm/hour - 4.0 mm/hour
* Heavy rain &#8212; when the precipitation rate is between 4.0 mm/hour - 16.0 mm/hour
* Very heavy rain &#8212; when the precipitation rate is between 16.0 mm/hour - 50 mm/hour
* Extreme rain &#8212; when the precipitation rate is > 50.0 mm/hour

From wikipedia...

I don't really know how that "10mm in 3min" should be interpreted... if it means the same as rain measures above, it simply implies as long as you don't submerge it, it'll be fine.

When classified according to amount of precipitation, rain can be divided into:[2]

* Very light rain &#8212; when the precipitation rate is < 0.25 mm/hour
* Light rain &#8212; when the precipitation rate is between 0.25 mm/hour - 1.0 mm/hour
* Moderate rain &#8212; when the precipitation rate is between 1.0 mm/hour - 4.0 mm/hour
* Heavy rain &#8212; when the precipitation rate is between 4.0 mm/hour - 16.0 mm/hour
* Very heavy rain &#8212; when the precipitation rate is between 16.0 mm/hour - 50 mm/hour
* Extreme rain &#8212; when the precipitation rate is > 50.0 mm/hour

From wikipedia...

So the 5d mkII can withstand 10mm / 3 mins or 200mm / hour.... meaning it can withstand extreme rain correct?

I was at John this afternoon and Sam told me the street price is going to be $3850 for the body :)

Very good price!

I was at John this afternoon and Sam told me the street price is going to be $3850 for the body :)

Very good price!

Wow, 5d came out at $5k+

I'm very eager to know the mirror construction. I hope it's not the old "glue-on" rubbish which keeps dropping off...:dunno:

I don't really know how that "10mm in 3min" should be interpreted... if it means the same as rain measures above, it simply implies as long as you don't submerge it, it'll be fine.

i think it means that in a standard rain gauge, u collect 10mm of rainwater in 3 min... not sure how heavy a rain that is... :dunno:

so sad. so disappointed.
its a slight improved version of 5D Mk1 with different battery system and a video function.
hai. make me wait for so long. stick to the old 5D first.

i think it means that in a standard rain gauge, u collect 10mm of rainwater in 3 min... not sure how heavy a rain that is... :dunno:

200mm/hour consider heavy pour......... this ran intensity are commonly used to design roof rainwater downpipe....

AF during video recording?

Status
Not open for further replies.