EOS 550D with 430ex2

canon550d

Dec 4, 2011
I know 550D cannot trigger 430ex2 flash wirelessly.

So, is it that I just need to use a wireless flash transmitter (eg: Phottix) to fire my flash off-camera? Or do I also need a receiver on my 430ex2?

Thanks.

I know 550D cannot trigger 430ex2 flash wirelessly.
So, is it that I just need to use a wireless flash transmitter (eg: Phottix) to fire my flash off-camera? Or do I also need a receiver on my 430ex2?
You need both. Wireless triggers usually come as a set of trigger and receiver.
Do note that using simple (and cheaper) triggers will require manual flash settings. If you want to have ETTL features you need to use the more expensive types of triggers who will establish the communication between camera and flash for ETTL to work.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.

You can use ST-E2 or Canon 90EX (EOS-M flash) to remote ETTL trigger for your 430EX2, no need receiver on your just set it as slave.

I'm a bit confused about 1 thing. 430ex2 should be able to be triggered wireless. Example by 7D (using 7D built in flash).

So, do I still need a receiver? Can I just use a transmitter on my 550D? Like ST-E2, pocket wizard or phottix etc?

canon550d said:
I'm a bit confused about 1 thing. 430ex2 should be able to be triggered wireless. Example by 7D (using 7D built in flash).

So, do I still need a receiver? Can I just use a transmitter on my 550D? Like ST-E2, pocket wizard or phottix etc?

If u use st-e2 and transmit using optical (light to communicate), u dun need receiver. But your 430ex2 need to be in line of sight to the transmitter, so that ur flash can "see" light from transmitter (eg e2 or built-in flash from some camera like 7d). In bright area, eg under bright sunlight, may have problem as can't "see" clearly.

If use radio (eg pocket wizard, yongnuo radio trigger), u need transmitter and receiver. Some model like yongnuo the unit itself can be both transmitter and receiver, so u just need get a pair can switch them around.

Last edited:

Canon 550D internal flash cannot set as a master flash that is why you cannot trigger 430EX2 when you set it as slave.
You need ST-E2 or other flash with master capability(90ex/580ex/600ex) attach to your camera to trigger 430EX2 in ETTL mode or buy radio trigger.

Oh, I get it. The 430ex2 can only be triggered optically. Hence I need receiver if I were to use a radio wave transmitter.

Thanks all for the explanation. Clears up a lot of my confusion.