EOS 5 or EOS 30?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cricha

May 27, 2005
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a 2nd hand spare body. Should I go for a EOS 5 or the EOS 30? Any advice would be welcome. :dunno:

The EOS 30 should be a better choice. I'd save up money for the EOS 3 or the top of the line EOS 1. Good luck. Cheers!

cricha said:
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a 2nd hand spare body. Should I go for a EOS 5 or the EOS 30? Any advice would be welcome. :dunno:

Hi.

Had the same problem some 5 years ago and ended up choosing the newer EOS 30 ... no regret after the purchase! :)

I have both the EOS 5 and EOS 33 (without eye focus control). In my personal opinion, the EOS 33 is more silent than the EOS 5, you get to use E-TTL (E-TTL II if you get the 30v/33v with newer Canon lens). It is easier to scratch on the EOS 5 than the EOS 33. The mount on EOS 33 is not as tight as the EOS 5 (maybe only the 2 units I have).

At the 2nd hand market, I would say a well maintained EOS 5 will cost about $250-$350 depending on the age. A EOS 30/33 will cost about the same or slightly higher.

if i am not mistaken, EOS 5 has faster AF
and I like EOS 5 AF assist which is on the body

it is VERY BRIGHT and stay on longer
EOS 30 AF assist is on the flash

I like EOS 5 macho look :)

eos 5

no annoying af assist light from the flash as in eos 30/33.

5 is the predessasor of 3, ie meant to the the 2nd level from the top.

longest running product life in canon camera is a testimonia to its quality in build and functionality as a main camera or backup camera for the 1 series..

As denniskee has mention , the EOS 5 has the longest running in the production line in canon cameras model . Its a single digic model too ( example : 1 , 3 , 5) One of the best value camera ever made . Spec wise i also think the 5 is better too

I've owned an EOS30 for 4 years... it's my first & only SLR, so I cannot comment on any other SLR. I really love my EOS30 & have no regrets, even if it's not a pro camera. I've travelled with it to various countries & it hasn't let me down!

there's no highspeed flash sync with the EOS 5 though but EOS 5 flash sync speed of 1/200s is faster than EOS 30's 1/125s.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I've been offered a EOS 5 (with grip) for $280. A EOS 30 (with grip) would set me back about $450. Is it worth paying the extra $$ for the 30?

Which AF performs better in low light? Which has the faster more accurate AF?

EOS 5 with grip for $280!!! sigh.... I overpaid for mine ;p should have been more patient.

cricha said:

I've been offered a EOS 5 (with grip) for $280. A EOS 30 (with grip) would set me back about $450. Is it worth paying the extra $$ for the 30?

the eos5 with grip $280 is a steal, great camera really!

cricha said:

take the eos5.
1) spot meter
2) very light even with grip
2) built-in zoom flash
3) bright and bigger viewfinder

cons
1) no ettl if I use 550/ST-E2 with 420. (if one flash get the 540ez...)
2) need to check shutter since it's older than eos33 (eos 5/50/500 series have sticky shutter problem...)

happy shooting!

go for the EOS 5.. the ergonomics for that camera (esp with the grip) is one of the best around, esp for Asian hands. Also, it has automatic mirror-lockup functionality for Timer mode, which is super super useful if you're doing lots of landscape/macro. None of the other EOS cameras have this functionality.

Snowcrash said:
2) need to check shutter since it's older than eos33 (eos 5/50/500 series have sticky shutter problem...)

ah! yes. well documented 'oily shutter blades' problem of the 5-series. thot it was solved in the later upgrades? correct me if i'm wrong. :think:

with grip for $300 ++
i think someone is still selling
Very nice price but i cant see myself
going back to film anymore

eos 5 is getting old..parts may run out in the next few years
get the eos 30

I'd recommend the EOS-30/33. It can do several things the 5 can't, such as true mirror lockup, ETTL flash, multi flash wireless shooting with ratio control, etc. I found the AF on the 30 very zippy. The 30 is also more compact, so I tend to carry it around a lot more than my EOS-3. Lastly, if you decide to get a 5, beware of the dreaded EOS-5 command dial failure, it's a common occurance.

Thanks for the many replies. I think I'm right back where I started .... :dunno:

cricha said:
Thanks for the many replies. I think I'm right back where I started .... :dunno:

not really, why not you ask ppl who have both camera or go to 2nd hand shops and test them yourself, afterall its ont us buying but yourself, only you can determine which cmaera is better for you. All the technical is covered above and you can read online if you search.

Status
Not open for further replies.