Entry to film photography

[Rangefinder]
-Let's say I put the rangefinder at its minimal focusing distance, using very large aperture(such as F2). From where till where is in focus? Front element till focused distance? 1/3 front, 2/3 back from focused distance?

This depends largely on the focal length of the lens you're using.
For e.g. if you use an ultrawide, a larger/longer depth will be in focus.
In the case of a tele lens, the depth will be much reduced.

Yes, by reading up on the hyperfocal concept you'll be able to understand this more easily

Allow me to jump the gun a bit but why not consider compact film cameras?

The likes of Hexar AF, Contax T series, Fuji Klasse, etc or even the Contax G RF system...

They're fairly easy to use, yet allow for more advanced settings when required!

Leo I really like this snap. I would ask a favor of you my friend. Could you maybe email me that snap and allow me to play around with it on a digital end. I promise to not use it any where other than this thread without your permission. :)

Go ahead! Pm me your email i'll send it when im back home. Its my honor you like it =]

It is in the ether bro

I won't be able to do much with it but I want to give it a shot. After I do I'll explain why I like the snap so much.

Last edited:

The likes of Hexar AF, Contax T series, Fuji Klasse, etc or even the Contax G RF system...

Agreed. The cameras listed by newghost are excellent compact cameras. You wouldn't regret them. The Fuji Klasse is a newer system. Can't go wrong with any of them

Havent really given it a thought, but i think my current Petri 7(no interchangable lens) can also be considered a compact. Will check those out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Agreed. The cameras listed by newghost are excellent compact cameras. You wouldn't regret them. The Fuji Klasse is a newer system. Can't go wrong with any of them

He's a young student mechanical guy let us not ruin such a rare bird before it's time! We're working on him. ;)

What do you mean "before its time"? =0

Bad choice of words..."his" time would be better.

I won't say what I meant because you probably wouldn't believe me but someday hopefully you will have come a long ways in your photography and then you will remember this discussion and you will understand what I meant. :)

Last edited:
Leo I couldn't get enough out of that snap to suit me but thanks for letting me try. I had it close in B&W but alas no dice unfortunately.

As to why the snap appeals to me I like the idea of the fisherman as being somewhat eternal like the sun rising. Just the simple mundane everyday thing for him to be at the beach at sunrise (or sunset) baiting his poles and casting them out You can build giant fancy whatever city buildings and have all types of fancy boats...none of that will be quite like this simple man and his poles and the sun rising to warm the waters and hopefully bring him a catch. It sort of reminds me of a ZK-diq shot in a way.

And here's some more from my 2nd roll(no idea why but i burned through it ridiculously fast as compared to the previous one).Developed at TripleD today. Nice 4hour turnover. Fuss-free drop my roll, name, contact number and "see you at 5" he said. And slightly cheaper than LomoLab!
$F1000009.jpg
$F1000010.jpg
$F1000016.jpg
$F1000032.jpg
$F1000034.jpg

$F1000035.jpg
There's still a few that i think is salvage-able with digital editing, will post if it is!

And...one thats taken with my phone(totally unrelated to the thread), while waiting for film processing

$ForumRunner_20150309_224748.png

Why vignette until so jialat?