Entry Level DSLR Recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

corneliustoh

Dec 16, 2008
Changi
Hi all. Yeah I know. Im a Canon User. But would like to recommend my friend to get a Nikon Entry Level DSLR under $900 which includes stuff like memory card, etc. I am not very familiar with the prices so yeah would like to ask you guys (Nikon Users). ;)

1) D60 :thumbsup:
2) D40 :thumbsup:

Well most likely these two models. Would like to know the prices of these with the Kit Lens Please.

Thanks. :cool:

PS: Looking out for good deals from MS Color (AMK) and Cathay (Peninsular)

friend bought a D60 a few weeks ago, $850 with the usual freebies...

Agree... D40 is kinda good for entry level and it won't hurt you that much is sense of spending wise plus is a good camera indeed! ;)

Saw D60 with Dual Kit Lens selling at $1100 in Funan.

save up abit more and get d90. d90 is also an entry level dslr but its worth ever bit of your money. d40/d60 requires you to buy lens with motor in them which usually cost slightly more. So think in a long run about buying something. my 2 cents. i used to be a d60 owner. 8 mths later i upgraded.

save up abit more and get d90. d90 is also an entry level dslr but its worth ever bit of your money. d40/d60 requires you to buy lens with motor in them which usually cost slightly more. So think in a long run about buying something. my 2 cents. i used to be a d60 owner. 8 mths later i upgraded.

I agree! get the D90!

If you think the D90's price is too high for starters, may I suggest a second hand D70 (or D50)

If the price of D90 is too high, get a 2nd hand D80. should be arnd $800 + $100+ for a kit lens.

D40 no more in production liao.

I called AP, CP, John 3:16 and MS Colour; only MS Colour had stock. And as I didnt want to go all the way to Ang Mo Kio to get it, so I had to search Sim Lim for about an hour before i managed to find a shop that still had stock.

But i found it in the end, and bought it last saturday! =D

D40 no more in production liao.

I called AP, CP, John 3:16 and MS Colour; only MS Colour had stock. And as I didnt want to go all the way to Ang Mo Kio to get it, so I had to search Sim Lim for about an hour before i managed to find a shop that still had stock.

But i found it in the end, and bought it last saturday! =D

are you the friend of this thread's starter???

hi

Get a D90. i bought the D60 n quickly find its limitation in less than 5 mths.

My advise is save up n spent on the D90. it is good enough for a hobbyist.

My 2 cents

Cheers
Shaz

hi

Get a D90. i bought the D60 n quickly find its limitation in less than 5 mths.

My advise is save up n spent on the D90. it is good enough for a hobbyist.

My 2 cents

Cheers
Shaz

Might I ask what limitations you found with the D60?
If it's to do with not being able to auto-focus, what lenses are you trying to pair it with?

Might I ask what limitations you found with the D60?
If it's to do with not being able to auto-focus, what lenses are you trying to pair it with?

1) as u mention D60 has a missing autofocus module thus i would need to get lenses which has an in built motor in the lens ( AF-S or the HSM ) which is more expensive

2) the viewfinder( using penta-mirror) of the D60 is slightly darker compared to D90( using penta-prism) so D90 viewfinder is bigger and brighter. Makes framing slightly less strenuous.

3) presence of Live view on D90 does help when the needs arises tho not a necessity.

4) 3 focus points in D60 vs 11 focus points in D90.

5) the D-SLR movie option. it is nt really a necessity but having lil nephews ard in the house. it does help to capture their antics with it

But then again D60 is still a great camera to begin with: Light, user friendly, Fuss-free. in the end. the user creativity,skills and techniques makes the photo a winning photo rather than the equipment.

Cheers Mate
Shaz

I told a friend 1 good advice and I think she gave up cos not convinced.

I told her, get a D40 for $400-$500 and then try to learn photography with it. Switch to D90 if you are still into it 6 mths down the road and sell the D40 for the same price!

I had a D40 and there were so much restrictions once you start getting the hang of things.

From online review, I think compact cam LX3 and Fuji F200EX has similar ISO performance to D40. So I think D40 as a cam today will only give u the option of a shallow depth of field (ehh object in focus sharp, background blur type of effect).

From online review, I think compact cam LX3 and Fuji F200EX has similar ISO performance to D40. So I think D40 as a cam today will only give u the option of a shallow depth of field (ehh object in focus sharp, background blur type of effect).

I disagree. Once you have the d40 and you will know the differences. The iso performance is pretty good up to 1600. having a DSLR is having the flexibility of a DLSR system; add on flashes, lens options, more responsive camera, etc. the only constrain is the price point (actually it is so close to a pns!) and the urge to buy more stuff!

bottom line is whether TS wants the d60 or d40 :) i vote for ts to save a little more and get the d90 :devil:

Either way, I suggest going to the shop and test out your likings will be the best. Either D40, D60 or D90, all of them performs good images. The only matter is the person using it himself. And some of the rest says, save some extra cash and get the D90. I think is a good invest for beginners as well. :)

I'm pretty sure ISO performance of the LX3 or F200 is no where near the D40. The D40 is around 1 stop better than the D80 in terms of noise (i.e. ISO 200 in the D40 has the same amount of noise as ISO 100 in the D80) and the D80 definitely outperforms both the LX3 (http://www.dxomark.com/) and the F200 (personal comparison).

IMHO, the D40 has many restrictions but it also has features that are underutilized like the unlimited flash sync speed.

My advise is to get a 2nd hand camera and start learning early. It is quite different owning one and testing one in a shop. When you finally feel restricted and upgrade later, at least you don't lose much money. Better to have a camera and start early than to keep saving up for the next best model and have no camera at all. At least when you upgrade you know that you are doing it because of your needs rather than some specs on paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.