Entry-level DSL, which camera to kick start with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prosumer is also known as a bridging cam. Since you were a KM staff once, perhaps this illustration would be familiar to you.

PnS = KM Dimage X1, X50, X60
Prosumer = KM Dimage A1/A2/A200
DSLR = KM5D (entry level)
DSLR = KM7D (semi-pro or serious amateur level)

Hope this helps.

wah sibeh cheem......I was the business solutions staff, not the optical solution staff :D

OMG.....seems like I have to consolidate more and more info before cheong the new toy lol! A700? Is it much more expensive than A350? I think I really have to set the budget aside and then start comparing.

I am looking into dSLR (actually I am not too sure if I really need 1 yet) but I would love to have a P&S capability coz I am really started learning from scratch. Need to slowly explore all the manual settings before I know if a camara is more than enough for me to play with.

uhm....is there any course for me to take? I think I still need to find out more about all these manual control and experiment them before I commit a real dSLR.....

asked jOhO why he picked Canon (but that 2 camera he used to shoot my pre-wedding are damn heavy man....), he said coz he needs to use a specific lens and only Canon supports them, which I can't recalled the types of lens liao haha....

It's not really a fair comparison between the Fujifilm S100FS and Sony Alpha A350. It's a dSLR-like camera but image quality won't be as good as a dSLR especially at higher ISOs.

Sorry for borrowing this thread. Am looking at either the S100fs or an entry DSLR like EOS450 or Oly's E-420 with the pancake lens.

Considerations:
1. Weight. Am used to PnS like the F50fd. But an S100FS will weigh almost as much as any entry dSLR so this may not be a factor afterall.

2. Dust on sensor. This is more of a consideration. If I am planning on using only a single lens that I do not plan to remove from the dSLR, will it survive without a storage box at home or other maintenance. Primarily my only reason why NOT a dSLR.

3. Photo quality. Am quite happy with PnS now except hoping to improve the high ISO and night shots (e.g. over the dinner table). That's why all these considerations. May be willing to put up with the camera weight but not the maintenance issues.

I am looking into dSLR (actually I am not too sure if I really need 1 yet) but I would love to have a P&S capability coz I am really started learning from scratch. Need to slowly explore all the manual settings before I know if a camara is more than enough for me to play with.

uhm....is there any course for me to take? I think I still need to find out more about all these manual control and experiment them before I commit a real dSLR.....

I'm also looking for some hands-on chance to play around with a DSLR camera before I commit into buying my first DSLR.

Went to Nikon showroom at Fuji Zerox Building, but they only have the bodies on display and no power to the DLSR cameras. Plus the only staff there was 'busy' reading his magazine.

Went to Panasonic Building, but also no DSLR cameras on display.

Went to PC Show, but it was just to crowded for me to take my time to explore the camera.

Tried going to Harvery Norman, Courts but the sales staff there were not interested in taking out the cameras for me to try...maybe they can sense that I won't buy on the spot?

Any place where newbies like us can go and play around with cameras so that we can get a feel and decided properly?

I'm also looking for some hands-on chance to play around with a DSLR camera before I commit into buying my first DSLR.

Went to Nikon showroom at Fuji Zerox Building, but they only have the bodies on display and no power to the DLSR cameras. Plus the only staff there was 'busy' reading his magazine.

Went to Panasonic Building, but also no DSLR cameras on display.

Went to PC Show, but it was just to crowded for me to take my time to explore the camera.

Tried going to Harvery Norman, Courts but the sales staff there were not interested in taking out the cameras for me to try...maybe they can sense that I won't buy on the spot?

Any place where newbies like us can go and play around with cameras so that we can get a feel and decided properly?

Suggest you a few places that I used to try to poke around with the cameras.

1) Courts @ Tampines. The last time i was there they had the Canon 400d, Nikon D40, Nikon D60, Nikon D80, Nikon D300, Olympus E410 on display. all with lens and semi-charged batteries. perhaps you could bring ur own memory card to shoot with and go home to look at the photos. They are not plugged into external power, so gotta try your luck if the batteries have been depleted already. The salesman don't care about you, so take your time to look around. They have many other models on display as well, but without lens and without power. Maybe you could just try the grip to see if ur comfortable.

2) Harvey Norman @ Funan. Incredibly friendly and helpful salesman with the Olympus series dslrs. i had a lot of time to play around with the camera and he offered a lot of tips too. would have bought from him there and then if i wasnt waiting for my paycheck :b
Not too familiar with what other models they have on display for you to try that time.

3) Alan Photo @ Sim Lim. Wide range of models available, but usually quite crowded and a lot of customers so i also pai seh to poke around too long

4) Cathay Photo @ Peninsular. Same as Alan Photo.

5) MS Color @ AMK Hub. Super friendly people! Wide range of models available too, sure to make you happy.

yup, thats what i had experienced.

When I was still looking to buy my first SLR previously I was reading every camera model in my budget and posts by CSers but I still could not appreciate what I will need in future when I start shooting. I mean, do I need the mirror lock up ? will I need the extra fps? Do I need the manual metering capabilities? Do I need spot metering ? Everything was like nebulous. It was a endless process but I decided based on just two days of fiddling with the models i shortlisted.

In fact the final camera body I bought wasn't even my initial slant :bsmilie:

Whatever feature that might be lacking in the final purchase after you shot for a while you can try to work around it or get a new model in future. But I suspect all the models will give you good shooting capabilities for a start.

Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.