enquiries about MF and LF cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesse.zhang

Nov 17, 2003
Singapore
community.webshots.com
Dear all,

I'm thinking of buying a MF or LF cameras for landscape photography.

The reason to move up to MF or Lf is undoubtedly for the quality of the photo and possibility of enlargement.

The problem is that I merely have any experience on both formats cameras. Just have tried Bronica ETRS for a very short while.

After a long time of researching homework online and photographic books, I set my mind for MF cameras on Contax 645 and Mamiya 645 PRO TL.

The question is:

a) Contax is preferable for myself, but the price is quite high. If I'm wrong, please kindly correct me. Anybody knows the price for contax with kit lens and release cord?

b) What kind of shutter is used on mamiya 645?

c) whose lens is more versatile, whilst which lens set is more expensive?

For LF cameras, the light-weighted one is much more preferable.
Questions are listed below.

a) anybody knows the price of the following LF camera?
Horseman Woodman 45
Ebony 45 S
Linhof TK 45S

If you could share your precious experience? The pros and cons of each of them?

b) What kind of accessories does they need to be up and running? How much will the whole set cost?

c) anywhere can I rent one for one day or two to try them?

any of your replies and information will be highly appreciated!

cheers,
zhenhai

i think for the mamiya its focal plane shutter unless you ask for a leaf shutter.. but since you do landscape photography... it doesnt really matter.

street prices... you go and ask la..on the streets.. contax should be around the price range of a hasselblad.. and mamiya is about 5000 tops?

many tan jiak photographers use mamiya.. and its damn versatile..

for LF the camera itself is suprisingly affordable... 3500 max i've seen....
but the accesories and the film is the killer!...

Won't comment much on the mf systems here, since i've lost touch with the pricing back home.. all i know is that mf systems for both the contax and mamiyas are cheaper in the states.

And honestly speaking, if you're doing landscape, go for a 6x7 at least, with the option of expanding to a 6x8 or even 6x9. The rb 67 pro sd would be a good buy with cathay dumping new ones for under 2500 now with a good lense and a motorized 6x8 back.

For large format, check out with ruby.. they'll help u there... Sadly, the film's getting harder to find back in singapore... and if u do find it, it's usually $!$@$@! expensive... i do my shopping on ebay, snapping up fuji quickloads or whatever 4x5 chrome film i see because they go FAST!!!.

In the end, if u want it for landscaping, might i reccomend the toyo 45 cf.. it's a field camera, small and compact... lenses, i use fujinon as they're sharp as hell and cheap. You might also want to check out the DA YI 6x12 backs which mount onto the toyo or LF cameras with graflok backs as they enable u to use 120 film.

Good luck

Hi,

For LF I would suggest you to get it overseas when you buy new, or used. There are some good deals in several used camera shops in SG too though, but you have to do your research properly. Check on eBay regularly, there are many on sale there and at relatively low prices....

Apart from those LF field cameras you mentioned there are plenty others: Wista, Toyo, Zhen Hao, etc....

http://www.toyoview.com/Products/45AII/45AII.html

Ebony is very very expensive, not necessary unless you are after design, wood use etc, which won't improve the photography but only aesthetics...

Hong Sien

many thanks to all buddies who replied my message, also to those who have viewed this thread.

F5user, I did consider the rb 67, but the weight with prism is quite a lot.

Thanks, hongsien, I will do more research on ebay, with the price matters.

Do you have any brand to recomment? lighter and versatile?

jesse.zhang said:
many thanks to all buddies who replied my message, also to those who have viewed this thread.

F5user, I did consider the rb 67, but the weight with prism is quite a lot.

Thanks, hongsien, I will do more research on ebay, with the price matters.

Do you have any brand to recomment? lighter and versatile?
Jesse

I will be doing two exhibitions one in June 2005 and another in June 2006. Both of those exhibitions were taken using MF. If you like drop me an e-mail and we can arrange to meet and show you some of those prints and then you can judge up to what enlargement you want to go, with what camera, (6x4.5, 6x7 etc.) etc etc.. I can also pass you the sync cord :) Anybody else I promised to meet in the past tag along..!

I have used both of the cameras you are refering to (amongst others) and have posted some comments in the past about them (search for more posts under my name).

-- Marios

hi, marios_pittas.

Many thanks for your information.

I tried sending you an email but unsuccessfully.

Could you plesae give me your email address or kindly send an email to zhenhai.zhang@gmail.com?

sms 97823276 is also appreciated.

cheers,
zhenhai

If you want shoot landscape, why use 645, unless you only shoot handheld, go for RB67, w/l finder good enought, a used RB67 so cheap now aday. many pro dumping it now.

Hi bro marios.. can i come along too?? :D :D :D im interested in MF photography, and would wanna take a look at some prints and some opinions b4 jumpin in...

marios_pittas said:
Jesse

I will be doing two exhibitions one in June 2005 and another in June 2006. Both of those exhibitions were taken using MF. If you like drop me an e-mail and we can arrange to meet and show you some of those prints and then you can judge up to what enlargement you want to go, with what camera, (6x4.5, 6x7 etc.) etc etc.. I can also pass you the sync cord :) Anybody else I promised to meet in the past tag along..!

I have used both of the cameras you are refering to (amongst others) and have posted some comments in the past about them (search for more posts under my name).

-- Marios

catchlights said:
If you want shoot landscape, why use 645, unless you only shoot handheld, go for RB67, w/l finder good enought, a used RB67 so cheap now aday. many pro dumping it now.
Or even the RZ 67 Pro II :)

catchlights said:
you got it very cheap also?
Yeap, but got it 2nd hand from another CSer. In mintish condition. Cost about $2500, and came with:

1) The body with the WLF
2) 2x 120 backs, 1x polaroid back
3) 110mm f2.8 Mamiya Sekor
4) Extension tube
5) Grip with cold shoe
6) Quick release cable
7) Motorized bottom for continuous shooting

I love this camera, too bad I can't find a good place to process roll film near my place. (I live in BKK you see, and the nearest place is in the city.)

rusty said:
Hi bro marios.. can i come along too?? :D :D :D im interested in MF photography, and would wanna take a look at some prints and some opinions b4 jumpin in...
Pls PM me your HP no and name. We will arrange to meet sometime next week (prop Thurs).

Marios

marios_pittas said:
Pls PM me your HP no and name. We will arrange to meet sometime next week (prop Thurs).

Marios

Hmm... you're free next thursday? :D
Can I meet up too?

The_Cheat said:
Hmm... you're free next thursday? :D
Can I meet up too?
Why don't those who shoot MF agree to meet then as it was suggested some time back..

Poposed time and place: Funan Coffee Bean.. 6:30 on Thursday 7th April
Those who intend to come pls PM me with your name and HP number in case we move.
Those interested in shifting location/time do likewise :)

-- Marios

Hi Christopher.. any day late afternoon as long as it is after Thursday I am ok.. How about you guys e-mail me whether Fri / Sat for somewhere around Funan..?

-- Marios (marios_pittas@yahoo.com)

marios_pittas said:
Hi Christopher.. any day late afternoon as long as it is after Thursday I am ok.. How about you guys e-mail me whether Fri / Sat for somewhere around Funan..?

-- Marios (marios_pittas@yahoo.com)

Thursday evening is good with me. :D

jesse.Zhang

Pl consider :

MF - Hasselblad 503 series. Small. Very light. Metal, not plastic. CZ lenses. Manual. Reliable. No battery dependence. Zero maintenance. Put in dry box and forget. Take out years later. It works! High resale value. Full accessories available. Phenomenal build quality.
Hassel digital back for 500 series already available in US but still expensive now. Good news is price of digital back will drop as time passes.

Outstanding conceptual design (of early Hassel) by a photographer (Victor Hasselblad) for other photographers. Beauty of simplicity. :p Almost Zen like in design approach.

Fuji - 645 autofocus Fuji zoom MF also special. Good lens.

Mamiya - 7SII or discontinued "6" also special. Rangefinder. Silent. Light, Mobile. Changeable lenses. Relatively small. Unobtrusive. Very good lenses.
If I did not buy Hassel, I would get these.

LF - Suppose you mean 4x5 and not 8x10. (too big in my opn) Consider Linhof field camera?
Horseman has a super light field camera that can store into a compact package.
Don't recom Arca Swiss (unless you use in studio)- meant for studio, not so portable for field use. don't know if arca has a light field camera - maybe.

ricohflex said:
jesse.Zhang

Pl consider :

MF - Hasselblad 503 series. Small. Very light. Metal, not plastic. CZ lenses. Manual. Reliable. No battery dependence. Zero maintenance. Put in dry box and forget. Take out years later. It works! High resale value. Full accessories available. Phenomenal build quality.
Hassel digital back for 500 series already available in US but still expensive now. Good news is price of digital back will drop as time passes.

Outstanding conceptual design (of early Hassel) by a photographer (Victor Hasselblad) for other photographers. Beauty of simplicity. :p Almost Zen like in design approach.

Fuji - 645 autofocus Fuji zoom MF also special. Good lens.

Mamiya - 7SII or discontinued "6" also special. Rangefinder. Silent. Light, Mobile. Changeable lenses. Relatively small. Unobtrusive. Very good lenses.
If I did not buy Hassel, I would get these.

LF - Suppose you mean 4x5 and not 8x10. (too big in my opn) Consider Linhof field camera?
Horseman has a super light field camera that can store into a compact package.
Don't recom Arca Swiss (unless you use in studio)- meant for studio, not so portable for field use. don't know if arca has a light field camera - maybe.

ricohflex, thanks for your information.

I did consider Hassy, but actually, I'm addicted on the electrol convinience of 135 camera. and the square format is very hard to master, is it? To be frankly, I appreciate the Hassy's pic quality and style very much.

So I even considered about the XPan.

Mamiya is very good. One of the best choices..

For LF, I do mean 4*5, any recommendation for domestic saler?

thanks and regards,
zhenhai

Status
Not open for further replies.