Empty Insect Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattroxy

Aug 4, 2007
Hello All,

It's been quite awhile I didn't do Macro... Wasted few hundreds of shot :dunno:..(Good thing I shoot digital)

Below are some of my macro shot today with canon SX10IS + DCR250 + diffused on board flash..

And oh......... I welcome all kinda CRITICS

Looks like an empty shell of a bee

1)
3217534188_cdaed6ba4c.jpg

2)
3216679633_82904227fd.jpg

3)
3217534110_ab9b8f58fc.jpg

4)
3217534076_2ede04c2b6.jpg

Tks all for Viewing

I've never seen the shell before but it looks more like a cicada. Is it small? Cicadas in Singapore are kind of small, maybe an inch or two.

Hi bro,

I'm lost here...Hehehe, Its about an Inch

I can't answer your question as I was hopping for feedback from c'ser here too...

Anyway tks for viewing.

Last edited:
Yeah it's clearly a Cicada shell hehe.
You're lucky you only saw the shell, because they are very noisy in real life!

Tks for the Info ;)

Not all then time... if you can find them at a low level, they tend to be pretty quiet... I got some shots of them..

Not all then time... if you can find them at a low level, they tend to be pretty quiet... I got some shots of them..

Yeah true, a single Cicada is usually silent, but when there's hundreds of them it's a constant screaming sound. When I was a kid I used to go on holiday's in the country where all you could hear was cicadas. I did catch a princess cicada once, and it never made any noise (they only live a couple of days). It was really fun collecting Cicada shells and sticking them everywhere!
I didn't know there were any cicada's in Singapore though.

Hi,

I saw many Cicadas when I was at Maxwell hill in Taiping, Perak. From my understanding one of the feature of Cicada is that the wing is much longer than the body. See pict:

How is that the wing (in the first shell pict if I am not wrong) is quite small? Is this really a cicada shell? I am no expert and just trying to get a 2nd opinion.

N0512-2650_s.jpg

Looking back at the picture, it does look more like a bee to me too....

Here's my cicadas

This should help you understand :)

Cicada_molting_animated-2.gif

Bees don't crawl out of a slit in their back of a shell like Cicadas do.
Bees die, and whither away. They don't have shells!

Last edited:

Tks guys for the informative information....

I really do learn something here.....

I do hope to see more of such informative injected in CS and not just critics on the rules of Photography alone.

p/s: If only I knew it was a Cicada shell in the first place I would have google it....

Tks all for viewing tho' ;)

This is interesting.......i've seen many of this shells under leaves but didn't know it actually belongs to Cicadas........Very Informative. Thanks TroyP for the research

Thanks...

Thanks Troy,

That was a very convincing and informative post of how cicada does its moulting.

Rgds

Hi,

I found the answer I was looking for. Why is the shell of the first picture does not have the long wing I was looking for in a Cicada.

Cicada goes thru metamorphosis just like a mosquito or a butterfly. The insect case that we saw is like the pupae case left behind by the adult mosquito or butterfly. The adult mosquito / butterfly look very different from its pupae just like the adult Cicada with it long wing looks quite different from the nymph (pupae) form.

Rgds

THT

Hi,

I found the answer I was looking for. Why is the shell of the first picture does not have the long wing I was looking for in a Cicada.

Cicada goes thru metamorphosis just like a mosquito or a butterfly. The insect case that we saw is like the pupae case left behind by the adult mosquito or butterfly. The adult mosquito / butterfly look very different from its pupae just like the adult Cicada with it long wing looks quite different from the nymph (pupae) form.

Rgds

THT

I guess we both have learn something here....:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.