Embarking on a new adventure called RF.. Any recommendations/tips?

jyasin

Jan 10, 2010
Hi all.. Am looking to start doing some RF shooting. Can't resist the beautiful images produced from some of the most beautiful cameras. As Leica is out of the question (for now at least.. ask me again in a year ;)), I'm looking to buy one of those cheap Russian Leica copies to start off, just in case I end up hating it.

Here's what I have in mind: Either a FED 5 or Zorki 4 with Jupiter 8 lens (what I've sort of gathered from other forums), or a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex with Tessar 50mm 2.8 lens.
I'm very much into street photography, people etc..

Recommendations/tips/input are very much welcome.
Please be gentle, I am but a noob :angel:

Looking forward to freeing my 45kg frame from the shoulder/wrist cramps caused by my D90 18-200mm weight load (I know! It's not much, but it still hurts after prolonged usage, even with a padded strap). Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the world of RF and the slippery slope!

I don't have experience with the few models that you listed but I'm sure someone will comment.
I do have the Jupiter 3 which is an excellent lens regardless of price point.

The RF guys are meeting this afternoon at 15mins@Lasalle starting at 4pm. There will be plenty of gear talk and sharing. You should join to get some advice/poison.

Cheers!

Welcome to the world of RF and the slippery slope!

I don't have experience with the few models that you listed but I'm sure someone will comment.
I do have the Jupiter 3 which is an excellent lens regardless of price point.

The RF guys are meeting this afternoon at 15mins@Lasalle starting at 4pm. There will be plenty of gear talk and sharing. You should join to get some advice/poison.

Cheers!
AWESOME!! I'm actually going to be in the area around that time too! But a lil paiseh to gatecrash a gathering and start firing off noob questions when the guys might have their own agendas/discussions.. Maybe I should just stick to the forums for now till I'm more familiar (and gathered all the confidence) so as not to look/sound like a complete idiot :embrass: ..

Last edited:
AWESOME!! I'm actually going to be in the area around that time too! But a lil paiseh to gatecrash a gathering and start firing off noob questions when the guys might have their own agendas/discussions.. Maybe I should just stick to the forums for now till I'm more familiar (and gathered all the confidence) so as not to look/sound like a complete idiot :embrass: ..

You should drop by because you will learn a few things or too for sure :)
Maybe you can pick up some tips on what to look out for when buying the camera you want etc

You can also read up on the sticky section to get started.

Here a candid 101 things I have learn about street photography:
http://invisiblephotographer.asia/2011/02/04/101thinglearntstreetphotography/

Rule#1 is very useful :Don’t worry about the camera so much, just take the damn photo.

Enjoy !!!

Thats the whole point of the gathering today! Ask all the questions you need!

Please do come, I'm sure our master wongsan can help you understand RF altogether

Thats the whole point of the gathering today! Ask all the questions you need!

Please do come, I'm sure our master wongsan can help you understand RF altogether
Sure sure, I'll do just that. Look out for the curly-haired girl who looks lost even before having the pros and cons of RF explained to her.
Thanks for the invite, and see you there later.

Sure sure, I'll do just that. Look out for the curly-haired girl who looks lost even before having the pros and cons of RF explained to her.
Thanks for the invite, and see you there later.

Just come down. We are all a bunch of friendly folks.;p

Russian rf cameras are my loves :) just be careful when you want to buy, because the rangefinder may be misallighted easily :( and change the shutter speed after advanced the film. other than that, they are really good. Personally, i found fed 5 is easier to use than zorki 4

I'm looking to buy one of those cheap Russian Leica copies to start off, just in case I end up hating it.

I bet you won't end up hating it ;p

I also just bought Zorki 4 few weeks ago. My first rangefinder and I love it :lovegrin:

IMGP4739.JPG

IMGP4755.JPG

Last edited:
So after getting poisoned by everyone (I know how that feels ;P), what did you decide to get?

First post in Clubsnap shall be saying that I'm using the russian leica copy, aka Fed 2 and I love it. It's misaligned at infinity though, but pics still come up sharp :D

First post in Clubsnap shall be saying that I'm using the russian leica copy, aka Fed 2 and I love it. It's misaligned at infinity though, but pics still come up sharp :D

Boy you are soooooo wrong!!!

Heh heh... He didn't get the special treatment Mel. My poisoning came in the form of an IV drip. Slowly.. but surely.

no way i'm going anywhere near a -gasp- leica, poor boy like me can't afford one of them fancy gizmos :D

portrait of the poisoned one