EM 5, EM 10 and sonya6000 which to get?

anyway, I've never used the clip-on flash on my EM5 at all. If i ever needed a flash for shoots - i went for the FL300R.

I do use the clip-on flash mainly for "quick and easy" way to light out the subject. I do use the FL36, 580EX2 on the EM5 as well, but most of the time I have my flash off-shoe instead

Taken with OMD-EM5 with off-shoe lighting setup
10305056_10152410643273556_6622022492215447934_n.jpg

I do use the clip-on flash mainly for "quick and easy" way to light out the subject. I do use the FL36, 580EX2 on the EM5 as well, but most of the time I have my flash off-shoe instead

Taken with OMD-EM5 with off-shoe lighting setup
10305056_10152410643273556_6622022492215447934_n.jpg

what you mean by off-shoe lighting setup?

if it really matters that much to u bro...

read Section 2 at: http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/hidden.html

Month and Year of manufacture can be found on specifically the MCS number on page 3 of the 'hidden' menu.

That said, I never believe in the year of manufacture being an issue on Oly cameras.

If there's anything of logical significance to look at if U r considering the EM5, its to look for the bunch of serial numbers that may need to have their screens replaced due to a screw. Read: http://www.olympusimage.com.sg/page.jsp?id=15541&version=OISP

wow, thanks. Really rsourceful !

when one buys a camera, you do not just buy the camera but also its system of lens. M4/3s has a collection of very decent and affordable lens. What does Sony offer? Do consider that. BTW, a real Zeiss lens will be very expensive.

I'm thinking of getting the olympus elite em5 body.
Pm to discuss.

Last week I was considering the EM 5, EM 10 and the sonya6000. After reading the reviews and the many helpful opinions available here, I have reduced it down to the EM5 because every where I read good things about it and Oly seems to always have good promotions on their lenses and cameras. Oly the clear winner here.

You come into a Oly forum asking abt sony a6000 and you expect people here will say a6000 is good? if you go over sony forum and u ask abt oly i will also ask u to fap off. :D

You come into a Oly forum asking abt sony a6000 and you expect people here will say a6000 is good? if you go over sony forum and u ask abt oly i will also ask u to fap off. :D

If u had bothered to do a search , you will find that here in MFT there's a 17page discussion on '[Discuss] What is the attraction of the Sony A7 over MFT' (sounds familiar?)

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1329458&page=11

The moderators of the MFT forums has made it one of the most inclusive places here in Clubsnap and obviously no one here will ask TS to f** off for asking about Sony here ;)

TS, I'm using using the 2003 E-1 and the 2007 Nikon D3. I just shot a wedding and one of the guest said to me "upgrade your D3 to D4s la", fact is, if I had money, I most probably would. But at the same time, my D3 has been serving me well, it and I have been through a lot together. Literally been through fire and sea water. Survived my drops, banging into it, stared down the barrel of a gun too, so I won't bother changing it until it's last shutter movement.

My point is, just cause the E-M5 is older, doesn't make it any less of a suitable camera. Sure, the Sony a6000 and E-M10 have their own merits and supposedly will be better because they're newer, but at the end of the day, does the E-M5 suit your need? I like the lens the elite E-M5 comes with and the E-M5 is, imo, similar to the E-M10 and has weather sealing and magnesium body to boot! But of course, I found that the E-M10 is better at handling (without grip or modifications to it). But this is all personal to me la.

If someone has already said it, I'll say it again, if not, I'm saying it now, get up, get down to a shop, ask to handle and then you'll know which one feels good in your hand. These days, without comparing picture with picture and actually staring hard at it, most people wouldn't notice the difference, especially if you've post-processed it. I recently used a 5D MKII with TS lens, i liked the interface and the screen, color was so so, the only thing I hated a lot was the ergonomics, I had pain in the back of my hand after the shoot, and the kick was, almost all my photos were shot on a tripod.

At the end of the day, ts, remember that "one man's poison is another man's meat", as already mentioned, the good lenses from Sony are expensive, and despite the difference in prices, the Zuiko lenses quality are just as good if not better. When Wonglp and I did the 25mm f1.8 lens preview with the E-M10, we were both amazed at the sharpness. I believe can see the veins in my eyes

Last edited:
I can attest to seeing the veins in Spidey's eyes ^__^

TS, I'm using using the 2003 E-1 and the 2007 Nikon D3. I just shot a wedding and one of the guest said to me "upgrade your D3 to D4s la", fact is, if I had money, I most probably would. But at the same time, my D3 has been serving me well, it and I have been through a lot together. Literally been through fire and sea water. Survived my drops, banging into it, stared down the barrel of a gun too, so I won't bother changing it until it's last shutter movement.

My point is, just cause the E-M5 is older, doesn't make it any less of a suitable camera. Sure, the Sony a6000 and E-M10 have their own merits and supposedly will be better because they're newer, but at the end of the day, does the E-M5 suit your need? I like the lens the elite E-M5 comes with and the E-M5 is, imo, similar to the E-M10 and has weather sealing and magnesium body to boot! But of course, I found that the E-M10 is better at handling (without grip or modifications to it). But this is all personal to me la.

If someone has already said it, I'll say it again, if not, I'm saying it now, get up, get down to a shop, ask to handle and then you'll know which one feels good in your hand. These days, without comparing picture with picture and actually staring hard at it, most people wouldn't notice the difference, especially if you've post-processed it. I recently used a 5D MKII with TS lens, i liked the interface and the screen, color was so so, the only thing I hated a lot was the ergonomics, I had pain in the back of my hand after the shoot, and the kick was, almost all my photos were shot on a tripod.

At the end of the day, ts, remember that "one man's poison is another man's meat", as already mentioned, the good lenses from Sony are expensive, and despite the difference in prices, the Zuiko lenses quality are just as good if not better. When Wonglp and I did the 25mm f1.8 lens preview with the E-M10, we were both amazed at the sharpness. I believe can see the veins in my eyes

Sometimes people paiseh to go shop and try. Sometimes people think they will be pressured to buy if they stepped into the shops. That's why they ask here first...

Although the best way is to have a hands on, I agree on that, maybe the ts needs a helping hand in having a hands on (hands, hands on; geddit? )

If shy ah, I think the other best way, is to join an outing or give a shout out... who knows, got brudders here who let you play with his or her toys...

Frankly speaking, I have been reading this thread and not really get into the discussion. But I think it is really unfair for you to say what you have said, and immediately wave off the good folks here as being bias.

I would not really said that everyone here are totally impartial to their advices, but if you take some time to think and keeping an open mind, I can assure you that many of what is written here spelt the truth.

1) OMD EM-5 is indeed the cheapest of the three options listed by TS.
2) OMD EM-5 do have a wider range of lenses (native lenses which include Panasonic's offering of m4/3) of course Sony can argued that with an adapter, Sony's A6000 can assess to native Sony and Minolta lenses, but lets look at it this way... with adapter, Olympus could also assess to old 4/3 lenses (which are actually very very good).
3) OMD EM-5 native lenses are all designed for m4/3 body and so they are not huge and ergonomically is much better in handling.
4) OMD EM-5 do have some degree of weather sealing.
5) OMD EM-5 do take fabulous photo (I am not that arrogant as to saying that A6000 don't, and I doubt anyone here is saying that too)

So if you think about it, none of the good folks here had asked A6000 to fap off... they are not negative about it... A6000 is a great camera, online reviews had all been raving over it. But somehow, there are things that can be a deal breaker... for me... it is the price. Everyone wanted something good and somehow cheaper and more affordable, thats all.

And since two of the cameras that TS had asked are from Olympus, it is naturally for him to come into the Oly forum to ask about this.

Should we just keep an open mind in this matter?

And finally... it still boils down to TS going to try the cameras up himself. Maybe in the end, he ended up with a Nikon 1 V3 or Canon EOS-M or maybe a Pentax. And are we going to scoff at him and said that his camera can go fap off? I seriously hope not.

Last edited:
This is quite true. Once u enter a shop and test the sets, u feel obliged to buy something. So its not a cool time to make a good decision. And most likely, wat the salesman tell u will be in his own interest too.
Sometimes people paiseh to go shop and try. Sometimes people think they will be pressured to buy if they stepped into the shops. That's why they ask here first...

Although the best way is to have a hands on, I agree on that, maybe the ts needs a helping hand in having a hands on (hands, hands on; geddit? )

If shy ah, I think the other best way, is to join an outing or give a shout out... who knows, got brudders here who let you play with his or her toys...

So you own an a6000 coming to Oly forum thinking Sony users will be told off?

It's highly understandable for a post that's in this forum to have folks recommending Oly cam as mostly who read here will be MFT users/to-be.

I believe the guys here on MFT forum are friendly, open minded and we would keep it that way. Choice of word/s can be often taken wrongly on internet space, so pls watch yours. And certainly this thread welcomes Sony users to add their views.

I own a6000 as well. I don't think there's any arguments it's an excellent camera, fact is it's hard to find a bad one these days, even Samsung NX series has matured alot from those days I used NX100. As a system though, I am still much inclined towards m43 rather than Sony - for the lenses range & competency, overall size, plus IBIS and antidust system that's proven over past 7 yrs I've used Oly.

Here's what I think is good about A6000, 1.5x crop for use with manual lenses, focus peaking for manual lenses (the best in fact for any mirrorless I've tested), AF seems fast enough , I'm not sure about the accuracy though I'm still getting used to handling (not that it's bad just I've not used Sony since Nex 5N), it does seem the AF is pretty impressive even with SEL 50/1.8 with such thin depth of field, I would rate it better than EM1 preproduction that I tested though conditions are different. I'm still finding a good opp to real test it again with my kids.

At times, I like Sony (lack of) DOF for say single person portrait, for group I would prefer Oly to get everyone in focus. I'm talking about shooting wide open fast primes without thinking DOF for different lenses.

Out of camera jpgs, hands down to Oly, its just so much more pleasing. Sure, I can tweak the colors for Sony in Raw/jpg, and colors is always subjective.

So there you go, a quick comparison with A6000 from one who just had it for less than a week so take a pinch of salt and left Sony camp for 2 years :)

Last edited:

true that, i think quite many brudders here are helpful to let guys test only thing is whether the brudders got time bo. haha, i stay bukit batok though time is limited due to work and family, whoever wants to test can still ping me if time permits would love to help.

So you own an a6000 coming to Oly forum thinking Sony users will be told off? Choice of word/s can be often taken wrongly on internet space, so pls watch yours. And certainly this thread welcomes Sony users to add their views. I own a6000 as well. As a system though, I am still much inclined towards m43 rather than Sony - for the lenses range & competency, overall size, plus IBIS and antidust system that's proven over past 7 yrs I've used Oly.

Here's what I think is good about A6000, 1.5x crop for use with manual lenses, focus peaking for manual lenses (the best in fact for any mirrorless I've tested), AF seems fast enough , I'm not sure about the accuracy though I'm still getting used to handling (not that it's bad just I've not used Sony since Nex 5N), it does seem the AF is pretty impressive even with SEL 50/1.8 with such thin depth of field, I would rate it better than EM1 preproduction that I tested though conditions are different. I'm still finding a good opp to real test it again with my kids. At times, I like Sony (lack of) DOF for say single person portrait, for group I would prefer Oly to get everyone in focus. I'm talking about shooting wide open fast primes without thinking DOF for different lenses. Out of camera jpgs, hands down to Oly, its just so much more pleasing. Sure, I can tweak the colors for Sony in Raw/jpg, and colors is always subjective. So there you go, a quick comparison with A6000 from one who just had it for less than a week so take a pinch of salt and left Sony camp for 2 years :)

Exactly why this is a good camp, especially with the sharing of the strengths and weaknesses of the Sony A6000 in an unbiased manner.

Anyway just in case, Sony forum does have good friendly people like Errz, Thoth , Ricleo and one might be surprised how many there own a Cankion or MFT system too.

haha I have sony A7 & EM1 :bsmilie:

i have to say, the oly 12-40 pro lens is really good.

Exactly why this is a good camp, especially with the sharing of the strengths and weaknesses of the Sony A6000 in an unbiased manner.

Anyway just in case, Sony forum does have good friendly people like Errz, Thoth , Ricleo and one might be surprised how many there own a Cankion or MFT system too.

Last edited:
Reactions: keithwee
When I go shopping, usually I get in, say what I want, pay and get out hahaha, but if I had to try, I just try and then go out if I'm not happy, if really pai sey, can rent also, or borrow kr as already mentioned, go out for shoots