EM-10 and Manual Shutter Release cable

megaweb

Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
East
megaweb.clubsnap.org
My friend bought a EM-10 recently and tried the 3rd party manual shutter release cable. The cable is unable to insert fully to the port due to there is some rubber blockage at the EM-10.

Can any EM-10 user verify this issue?

Regards
Johnny aka Megaweb

looking at the images from dpreview of the side port, doesnt seem like a micro usb will be blocked by the rubber flaps on the EM10. In fact the one on the EM5 looks more likely that access is tight.

EM10
right-io-ports-001.jpg

EM5
Ports-001.jpg

My friend bought a EM-10 recently and tried the 3rd party manual shutter release cable. The cable is unable to insert fully to the port due to there is some rubber blockage at the EM-10.

bro, would OI.Share resolve this issue altogether since u can fire the shutter release wirelessly from your Apple or Andriod smartphones?

The EM10 connector contact is deeper.

If it is deeper but the original Oly USB cable still fits, perhaps it is the 3rd party remote micro USB that is out of spec. deeper means its not the rubber flap covering the ports causing any incompatibility?

Thanks, rcleo. So you tried original shutter release cable fit. I tried 3rd party one cannot fit in.

Thanks, rcleo. So you tried original shutter release cable fit. I tried 3rd party one cannot fit in.

i can only speak for the EM5 and yes the original olympus cable fitted fine, can't really comment on 3rd party cables. Perhaps your friend can bring the em10 to a shop and see if the original cable, or even other brand 3rd party cables work better?

Just to share my experience - I am using this Phottix remote shuttle release on my EM5:
http://www.phottix.com/en/wireless-remotes/phottixr-cleon-ii.html

The Phottix USB cable works well with my XZ-1 and EPL3, but cannot work on EM5. TK photo staff said it would not work on EM5.

I passed by Red Dot Photo one day, and tried my luck to ask if they have a replacement cable. They DO, and the cable works well on my EM5.

Not sure if this info will help on your EM10 issue but you may want to drop by RDP and try out their USB cable on the spot.

Just to share my experience - I am using this Phottix remote shuttle release on my EM5:
http://www.phottix.com/en/wireless-remotes/phottixr-cleon-ii.html

The Phottix USB cable works well with my XZ-1 and EPL3, but cannot work on EM5. TK photo staff said it would not work on EM5.

I passed by Red Dot Photo one day, and tried my luck to ask if they have a replacement cable. They DO, and the cable works well on my EM5.

Not sure if this info will help on your EM10 issue but you may want to drop by RDP and try out their USB cable on the spot.

Thanks, cheersjy. The issue I encountered is not compatible issue. It is the EM10 USB connector located quite deep which prevent the 3rd party shutter release cable to be fully insert in.