Elysium is such a disappointment

de_stan

Apr 21, 2004
Utterly Dissapointed with Elysium.

Plot holes all over

If Earth is an over-baked wasteland, and the population is STILL increasing how are they not dying left right center from hunger, cancers and every other diseases. I mean they whole planet is an effective slum, which means no clean water and bad sanitation.

The rich has abandoned Earth and lived in orbital paradise, yet amid the chaos on Earth they can still establish giant factories where pockets of people are still willing to work for minimal wages while feeding the lifestyles of the rich and famous. I have seen revolutions and wars started for less.

Why go through all the trouble to smuggle so many people to Elysium only to be caught and deported the moment their shuttle lands? And how can they avoid detection with all the radars detecting EVERY single shuttle approaches to Elysium? It's not like those dirty smelly refugees can blend in with the rich locals? Makes no sense.

Worst performance by Matt Damon who is starting to remind me of another Bruce Willis. Jodie Foster is a Secretary yet she has so much executive powers compared to the President who must be sleeping cos he only knows about the incident much later, and still did not strip her of her position?? Really!!!

Overly jerky cameras during action sequences. Did Blomkamp not learn from Transformers? Even Michael Bay did.

Agent Kruger (Sharlto Copely) has this really goofy accent that just does not sync on being a bad ass mercenary with me. He had his face blown off, which I presumably would kill anyone. Yet a re-animation machine re-builds his face and amazingly was brought back to life through defibrillation after being dead for how long again???

Too much focus on the effects and set. Overly draggy and inconsistent directing that fails to establish any of the characters other than as Hollywood cliches. At least in 'District 9' I actually felt sympathy for the 'alien prawns' and the reference to the aparthied was awesome. Sharlto Copely's character as a cold MNU agent turned hero was a revelation twist to stereotype anti-heros. Had high hopes for 'Elysium-Blomkamp' who I thought would be a genuine talent. But seems like his been Hollywood-sanitized.

Already read the reviews and i know it sucks. That's why i didn't bother to part with my money

Plot holes all over

If Earth is an over-baked wasteland, and the population is STILL increasing how are they not dying left right center from hunger, cancers and every other diseases. I mean they whole planet is an effective slum, which means no clean water and bad sanitation.

Why go through all the trouble to smuggle so many people to Elysium only to be caught and deported the moment their shuttle lands? And how can they avoid detection with all the radars detecting EVERY single shuttle approaches to Elysium? It's not like those dirty smelly refugees can blend in with the rich locals? Makes no sense.

They should learn from Mas Slamat :bsmilie:

You apply common sense to block buster movies? How dare you! :bsmilie:

Plot holes all over

The rich has abandoned Earth and lived in orbital paradise, yet amid the chaos on Earth they can still establish giant factories where pockets of people are still willing to work for minimal wages while feeding the lifestyles of the rich and famous. I have seen revolutions and wars started for less.

Worst performance by Matt Damon who is starting to remind me of another Bruce Willis. Jodie Foster is a Secretary yet she has so much executive powers compared to the President who must be sleeping cos he only knows about the incident much later, and still did not strip her of her position?? Really!!!

Overly jerky cameras during action sequences. Did Blomkamp not learn from Transformers? Even Michael Bay did.

Agent Kruger (Sharlto Copely) has this really goofy accent that just does not sync on being a bad ass mercenary with me. He had his face blown off, which I presumably would kill anyone. Yet a re-animation machine re-builds his face and amazingly was brought back to life through defibrillation after being dead for how long again???

Too much focus on the effects and set. Overly draggy and inconsistent directing that fails to establish any of the characters other than as Hollywood cliches. At least in 'District 9' I actually felt sympathy for the 'alien prawns' and the reference to the aparthied was awesome. Sharlto Copely's character as a cold MNU agent turned hero was a revelation twist to stereotype anti-heros. Had high hopes for 'Elysium-Blomkamp' who I thought would be a genuine talent. But seems like his been Hollywood-sanitized.

To heal whatever disease they have.

African.

He wasn't dead yet, if you see when they put him on the machine he is still breathing and they said his brain activity is still ok.

anyway I thought it was a boring show.

Last edited:
I go watch summer blockbuster not for the story to make sense or full of meaning.... it for the mindless killing, hot babes and endless action... much like watching Pacific Rim or any of the Fast & Furious series... or do you think Iron Man is 'real' ?? :think:

I'll just watch Top Gear :)

I felt the same after the show. Wolverine helped me to recover from this disappointment.

the_wolverine_2013.jpg

I felt the same after the show. Wolverine helped me to recover from this disappointment.

the_wolverine_2013.jpg

lol. his healing power suppressed, but when his claws come out it still heals. :X

Synopsis:

In the year 2159 two classes of people exist: the very wealthy who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined Earth. Secretary Rhodes (Jodie Foster), a hard line government official, will stop at nothing to enforce anti-immigration laws and preserve the luxurious lifestyle of the citizens of Elysium. That doesn’t stop the people of Earth from trying to get in, by any means they can. When unlucky Max (Matt Damon) is backed into a corner, he agrees to take on a daunting mission that if successful will not only save his life, but could bring equality to these polarized worlds.

Now no need to watch the movie.

1 mission can forever make all the mega rich equal with all the very poor? Rubbish.

That's Hollywood take it with a pitch of salt. Whatever it churns out it's entertaintment :)

Why go through all the trouble to smuggle so many people to Elysium only to be caught and deported the moment their shuttle lands?

I know it seems unrealistic, and would probably feel the same if I had watched it (I didn't), but I just noticed a piece of news that shows that perhaps real life isn't that far off, sadly... that no matter how bleak or dangerous the journey may be, there'll always be people willing to risk their lives for that slim hope of a better future.

http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories/article.aspx?id=898502

------

On a side note, this is an interesting piece by the New York Times on summer blockbusters:

More than ever, Hollywood’s $100 million extravaganzas are made by committee. Producers, researchers and marketers debate the unknowns: Are the explosions big enough? Do Russians like Ryan Reynolds? To see how these monsters are made, Brooks Barnes pitched a fanciful idea to industry insiders: “Red, White and Blood” features sexy car thieves, a president with a past and a terrorist plot. Could it be a hit? Read the pitch and see what the experts say.

Introduction
Imagine trying to put a fitted sheet on a too-big mattress. You tuck in one corner only to have another come undone. Eventually, it works — all the bases have been covered — but it can be a frustrating experience.

Creating a summer blockbuster can feel a lot like making that bed.

Hollywood’s popcorn season has long meant superheroes, destroyed cities, epic explosions and animation. Bigger! Louder! Faster! More! Especially more: From May 1 to July 4, studios will have released 13 movies costing $100 million and up (sometimes way up), 44 percent more than in the same period last year.

Because these pictures need to attract the biggest global audience possible, theyare increasingly manufactured by committees who tug this way and pull that way: marketing needs this, international distribution needs that.

The all-too-common result is a Frankenfilm, a lumbering behemoth composed of misfit parts.

When they work, there is a box office bonanza. Studios this year have rejoiced over “The Hangover Part III,” “World War Z” and“Iron Man 3.” When they don’t — well, it’s “After Earth” or “John Carter.” (The next big-budget movies to face judgment are “The Lone Ranger” with Johnny Depp and “Pacific Rim,” a robots-versus-monsters movie from Guillermo del Toro.)

To understand the forces that come to bear in the making of these movies, The New York Times conducted a lighthearted experiment. Working with Jordan Roberts, a veteran Hollywood script doctor, we came up with a pitch for a fake summer movie. We wanted it to be silly, but also not out of the realm of possibility.

Then we sought out experts in various Hollywood disciplines — producing, marketing, screenwriting — and asked, What would make our movie more sellable? Their input could be anything, except for the obvious: “Don’t make this film.”

If you think this movie idea is too ridiculous, remember two things. Disney is making a live-action film out of Ant-Man, a comic book character who can change his size and control bugs with a helmet. And “Turbo,” set for release by 20th Century Fox on July 17, started with the pitch, “‘Fast & Furious’ except with snails and animated.”

For complete article:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/06/28/movies/BLOCKBUSTER.html

Last edited: