Eighteen to Two Hundred VR again....

Trust me.. You don't want to do that.. ;p

Sigh... so I guess there is no other choice...
Just my luck when this happened during the 2nd day of my taiwan holiday trip :cry:

Well, will be heading to NSC service mine later during lunch hour then... :)
*wallet: ouch* :bheart:

Sigh... so I guess there is no other choice...
Just my luck when this happened during the 2nd day of my taiwan holiday trip :cry:

Well, will be heading to NSC service mine later during lunch hour then... :)
*wallet: ouch* :bheart:

Look for Jonathan.

Just now went over to NSC to send in all my gears including my 18-200....

Didn't manage to catch Jonathan cos he went out for lunch (grrrrr.....),
and suddenly phone battery died on me (sigh...),
then got caught in the rain while on my back to office (sway~!!!).
:confused::hung::flame:

Anyway, will see what is the damage to my wallet to service my copy when NCS gets back to me... :sweat:

Just now went over to NSC to send in all my gears including my 18-200....

Didn't manage to catch Jonathan cos he went out for lunch (grrrrr.....),
and suddenly phone battery died on me (sigh...),
then got caught in the rain while on my back to office (sway~!!!).
:confused::hung::flame:

Anyway, will see what is the damage to my wallet to service my copy when NCS gets back to me... :sweat:

Just ask what is the parts cost when the quote comes back. If it is $12, then ask if that part is the FPC. If yes, time to call Jonathan.

Just ask what is the parts cost when the quote comes back. If it is $12, then ask if that part is the FPC. If yes, time to call Jonathan.

I have already warned him that there will be more to come... Unless they now change the focusing lever as well, then the problem might not come again. I am confident that Nikon doesn't want this to happen again. It will cost them a lot of money.

Make sure you ask to see Jonathan to highlight the issue. The counter staff will just give the standard answers/quote only. I tried sending in last year, and they straight away said need to change VR after the cursory check (est $400+)! Which I felt wasnt worth it. Luckily, I learnt of this FPC issue this year and just sent in my lens. They did a proper check and replied that only the FPC needs to be changed. I am now waiting for the lens to be fixed and hope the issue doesn't come back.

Hmmm... I hv not received any calls from NSC (or maybe it's bcos my fone no batt ytday?:think:).
Anyway will call them up later in the day to check if it's confirm the FPC issue (shld be ba... cos i can c the broken flexible cable inside~!:bsmilie:).

Make sure you ask to see Jonathan to highlight the issue. The counter staff will just give the standard answers/quote only. I tried sending in last year, and they straight away said need to change VR after the cursory check (est $400+)! Which I felt wasnt worth it. Luckily, I learnt of this FPC issue this year and just sent in my lens. They did a proper check and replied that only the FPC needs to be changed. I am now waiting for the lens to be fixed and hope the issue doesn't come back.

Wasn't able to meet Jonathan ytday. But if it's really the FPC, will surely request them ONLY to let Jonathan to service mine~!

Hmmm... I hv not received any calls from NSC (or maybe it's bcos my fone no batt ytday?:think:).
Anyway will call them up later in the day to check if it's confirm the FPC issue (shld be ba... cos i can c the broken flexible cable inside~!:bsmilie:).

Wasn't able to meet Jonathan ytday. But if it's really the FPC, will surely request them ONLY to let Jonathan to service mine~!

Jonathan is the manager. He doesn't do the servicing. ;p

Thanks for sharing the potential problem. Are all version 1 of the 18-200 bound to have this problem after prolonged use? Is there a way to identify which batch or serial number will have problems? I read somewhere that this is totally random.

I am thinking of getting the 1st version of 18-200 but if every 1st version 18-200 is going to have the problem, might as well go get the new one (version 2) since 1 repair like this + price of 2nd hand 18-200 = the new 18-200 brand new. Thanks.

Thanks for sharing the potential problem. Are all version 1 of the 18-200 bound to have this problem after prolonged use? Is there a way to identify which batch or serial number will have problems? I read somewhere that this is totally random.

I am thinking of getting the 1st version of 18-200 but if every 1st version 18-200 is going to have the problem, might as well go get the new one (version 2) since 1 repair like this + price of 2nd hand 18-200 = the new 18-200 brand new. Thanks.

I have a feeling that probably all the Made in Japan version potentially has this problem. They might have fixed it in all or maybe at least the later batches of the Made in Thailand version. I can only confirm the new version with the zoom lock has this problem addressed.

I would suggest getting the new version of the 18-200mm.

The old 18-200mm also has the lens creep problem like nobody business.

That's my point "sad", cos if I am not wrong, some countries do have 3 or 5 yrs warranty (not counting our Harvey Norman extended warranty).

Guess we are too small a consumer base to have such privilege.

According to KRW, his 18-200 comes with 5-year warranty. Legitimate US lenses (serial numbers with US prefix) will have 5-year Nikon warranty.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200/18200-warranty.htm

sometimes, warranty duration could be mandated by government laws :)

sometimes, warranty duration could be mandated by government laws :)
Agreed.

US have a stronger law governing consumer's rights.

Just an additional point, although Nikon lenses comes with international warranty, do note that for lenses that are purchased in US, although being 5yrs warranty, it'll only be 1yr for international. :)

Agreed.

Just an additional point, although Nikon lenses comes with international warranty, do note that for lenses that are purchased in US, although being 5yrs warranty, it'll only be 1yr for international. :)

at the end of the day, if the consumer base is small but mandated to have extended warranty, the product cost will go up :) so, it is again a disadvantage to the consumers.

Also, Singapore being an open economy, parallel imports are legal, thus back to the question of who to foot the cost of warranty repair when the item is not sold locally (remember, most companies operate country cost centers).

Agreed.

Just to check, if the lens has been serviced in SG during the 1st year and after that, will the remaining of the 5-years warranty be valid if it is sent back to the USA for service?

Just to check, if the lens has been serviced in SG during the 1st year and after that, will the remaining of the 5-years warranty be valid if it is sent back to the USA for service?

I don't see why it should not be covered as long as it's not tampered by a 3rd party.

Inspired by lsisaxon post, I accepted to fix this lens with a similar problem.

The root cause is similar but the location of damage is slightly different
2291.JPG

The clearance between FFC and other moving parts seems sufficient. ( I even used a thickness guage :bsmilie:)
But just like what the TS mentioned, the glue gave way so the the FFC was damaged by the moving focusing rod.

How I fixed:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344970&page=10

Added extra glue to prevent it from happening again

Last edited:
Inspired by lsisaxon post, I accepted to fix this lens with a similar problem.

The root cause is similar but the location of damage is slightly different

The clearance between FFC and other moving parts seems sufficient. ( I even used a thickness guage :bsmilie:)
But just like what the TS mentioned, the glue gave way so the the FFC was damaged by the moving focusing rod.

How I fixed:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344970&page=10

Added extra glue to prevent it from happening again

That looked like the counter measures were already on place. It was a thinner FPC and the profile of the focusing lever was already rounded.... Looks like the problem really lies with the glue giving way.

It was the same region and and exactly the same mechanism which caused the failure. Kudos to you for doing a 'bypass surgery' on the the FPC. I would have done that if I had not been too pissed by the failure mechanism. Anyway, my MiJ copy doesn't even have enough clearance for me to do that also. The copy you fixed should already have enough clearance.

I am really amazed why they run the FPC through an area with so much mechanical activity.

Last edited:
Kudos to you for doing a 'bypass surgery' on the the FPC.

I am really amazed why they run the FPC through an area with so much mechanical activity.
Thanks, let 's just call it reconnection or should I say reinforcement.
It's the same "connection" procedure I use to fix C lenses.
For C lenses, the FFC cable that connects the PCB and aperture motor gets damaged after a lot of zoom in and out.