Eighteen to Two Hundred VR again....

It is something that he does not wish to reveal so please do not ask. Please respect his request.

At least we can be assured that the version 2 doesn't have similar problems, meaning Nikon did review their design afterall. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.

Just to get a better piece of mind, can share which version I (maybe serial #) already have the revised design too? It'd help 18-200 hunters know what to look out for.

A little piece of information which most would like to know.

By hook or by crook, I have managed to confirm for myself that the focusing lever on the 18-200VR II (and probably the later batches of the Made In Thailand copies of the 18-200VR I) already have mitigated the problems with the VR FPC.

This is done by 1) using a much thinner FPC, 2) redesigning the profile of the focusing lever. The edges are now rounded so that the chances of crashing into and damaging the FPC is now greatly reduced. The clearance between the lever and the FPC is also greater than before.

Don't ask me how I obtain these information, the revelation only came minutes ago and it's definitely not through NSC. ;p People who know me enough should be able to guess how the information come about.

At least we can be assured that the version 2 doesn't have similar problems, meaning Nikon did review their design afterall. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.

Just to get a better piece of mind, can share which version I (maybe serial #) already have the revised design too? It'd help 18-200 hunters know what to look out for.

The VR II is definite, but I'm suspecting that it was implemented as a running change, so it's highly likely that some newer copies of the MiT VR I should already have this in place.

But I am really glad that Nikon does improve their design even though they do so very discreetly. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Just called NSC and was told that my VR NPC failed, repair cost is $205+.

I'm going to collect it later in the day.

Just called NSC and was told that my VR NPC failed, repair cost is $205+.

I'm going to collect it later in the day.

FPC or VR module? Ask for Jonathan.

Just collected my 18-200mm, replace VR FPC.

Labour charge $180 and parts charge is $12, making a total of $205.45.

I didn't call Jonathan.

Just wait for 2010, not sure what will be the problem.

Thanks.

Just collected my 18-200mm, replace VR FPC.

Labour charge $180 and parts charge is $12, making a total of $205.45.

I didn't call Jonathan.

Just wait for 2010, not sure what will be the problem.

Thanks.

Fair enough. It may happen again like mine lasted only a year. The fact that they did change the profile of the focusing lever shows that it is indeed a design oversight (I won't call it a flaw) in the earlier versions. Keep your receipt well in case you need to go back again. (Actually they have your records lah.)

Yeah, I've already have the mindset that the 18-200mm lens will be a no go in a few months time and prepared for it, 2008 SWM and 2009 VR FPC.

Thanks.

Fair enough. It may happen again like mine lasted only a year. The fact that they did change the profile of the focusing lever shows that it is indeed a design oversight (I won't call it a flaw) in the earlier versions. Keep your receipt well in case you need to go back again. (Actually they have your records lah.)

2 issues come to my mind:

1 All these electronic stuff like VR and SWM do not last and they are prone to breakdown.
2 Maybe, those which have problem are those that are heavily use.
3 This class of lens are meant for amateur use, like once or twice a month and meant to last 2 to 3 years or so.
4 Some of the older simple mechanical lenses of the good old days are still alive and kicking as we can see them still being sold at TCW. Some of those lenses are like 20years old.

so meaning it is better to buy the new version of this lens --- 18-200mm VRII rather than the old one? im want to buy this lens next year around january but after reading all this i have doubts already.... =(

so meaning it is better to buy the new version of this lens --- 18-200mm VRII rather than the old one? im want to buy this lens next year around january but after reading all this i have doubts already.... =(

Maybe IsisAxon can help by giving us the S/N of the VRII that he checked out, anything later than is safe to say that it has the rectified part/design.

This can be used as rough guideline, i suppose...:think:

Maybe IsisAxon can help by giving us the S/N of the VRII that he checked out, anything later than is safe to say that it has the rectified part/design.

This can be used as rough guideline, i suppose...:think:

The VRII is so new that I don't think they would have 2 versions at this point in time. I suspect that the later copies of the Made in Thailand VR I would already have this in place as well.

I was told that it was already a new FPC that was put in when I sent my MiJ lens in last year. This probably meant that Nikon already knew that the problem existed even before I raised it up here last year.

this is one of the reason i bought tamron instead of nikon.
at least tammy gives 3 years warrenty...feels more secured

Just buy the VR II unless you want to buy a used one.

this is one of the reason i bought tamron instead of nikon.
at least tammy gives 3 years warrenty...feels more secured

Using 3rd party has another set of problems.

Are we able to purchase the FPC from Nikon or somewhere else to replace by ourselves? :think:
(save the cost of $180 LABOUR CHARGE~!!!)

Are we able to purchase the FPC from Nikon or somewhere else to replace by ourselves? :think:
(save the cost of $180 LABOUR CHARGE~!!!)

Trust me.. You don't want to do that.. ;p

i agree! hehe better to pay labour cost rather than making a mistake that will cost you more =)

thanks for the advice, i'm planning to get the new version this coming january, at least for two months of reviewing some feedbacks is enough ehehe