EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cron0s

Feb 26, 2004
Hi All,

Is this a sharp lens? Any one care to share your experience using this? TIA. :D

It's a good lens to have for the range. IS is the bonus for this lens and range.

Bang for buck is the word to describe it. It's not as sharp as other more ex lenses, it's not as fast focusing as other more ex lenses, it's not as well built as other lenses, but it's S$360, so it should be justifiable. The zoom range is massive as well, which is probably why it's not as sharp.

best buy for budget cheap zoom for travels.

where else can u find a 300+ dollar lens with IS and UD element?

If you wanted the meaning of cheap and good then this lens really embodies that :) For the price it really is a lens to have. I use this for alot of my shots and it is surprisingly fast enough for alot of activities and small enough for street. The shots coming from this lens is pretty sharp and with IS, at the 250mm range it really help when hand-holding.

Of course like the others mention, you can have far better lenses but at a far higher price.

Last edited:
I used this len, and its worth every cents for such a cheap and good len.
you can see the result as follows;

3234103104_4aa7dc30b7_o.jpg

Definitely a fantastic lens for that price range.

:) Thanks fellow CSers!!! I've been eyeing the 70-200 F4 (IS too ex to justify) for some time now. But bcos of the price been saving up for it, who knows that the prices ALL went UP ;(

Thus I will target 55-250 IS now!:cool:

I like to take macros too, can I get close up filters to go with the 55-250 IS? Any one tried that?;p

:) Thanks fellow CSers!!! I've been eyeing the 70-200 F4 (IS too ex to justify) for some time now. But bcos of the price been saving up for it, who knows that the prices ALL went UP ;(

Thus I will target 55-250 IS now!:cool:

I like to take macros too, can I get close up filters to go with the 55-250 IS? Any one tried that?;p
Yupp, you can use close up filters with the 55-250mm, but it will still not be a macro lens.

GMAN

Sharp wide open, especially at the wide end. Noticeable degradation only from 200-250mm. Not as contrasty as the L lenses, but contrast can be fixed in PP. I chose this over the 70-200 f/4L because this had IS. I wanted the 70-200 f/4L IS, but it was out of my wallet's reach.

I'll let the pictures do the talking.

2756559775_b273f0b60a.jpg

2335764426_4a0e0343a7.jpg

Exposure: 0.167 sec (1/6)
Aperture: f/5
Focal Length: 109 mm
ISO Speed: 1600

Last edited:
Sharp wide open, especially at the wide end. Noticeable degradation only from 200-250mm. Not as contrasty as the L lenses, but contrast can be fixed in PP. I chose this over the 70-200 f/4L because this had IS. I wanted the 70-200 f/4L IS, but it was out of my wallet's reach.

I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Wow, both pics are really sharp from the looks of it. I guess IS does help when handhold. Seems like there r quite a number of happy 55-250 users. :lovegrin:

wow nice shot of the cat. i feel kinda hypnotised just by looking at the sharp eyes.

abot OT, how difficult to say lens rather than len?:confused:

You haven't realised? He never learnt how to say lens, even after so many corrections. Some people just don't want to change, even when you dangle the carrot right in front of them for the taking. :dunno:

Wow, both pics are really sharp from the looks of it. I guess IS does help when handhold. Seems like there r quite a number of happy 55-250 users. :lovegrin:

IS = very important okay, cannot discount its usefulness. :) No need for monopod anymore...

roughly wat is the market price for this lens?i am also planning to get this lens...

roughly wat is the market price for this lens?i am also planning to get this lens...

Check this thread : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4850129&postcount=59

I paid about $320 or so for mine a year ago. I have better lenses in this range, but for casual use, it can't be beat. Image quality is pretty good, price is low, and it hardly weighs anything so you can carry it around in your bag just in case you need it - unlike, say, the 100-400, where I make sure I use it if I've been carrying it around for the last 3 hours :bsmilie:

abit OT, how difficult to say lens rather than len?:confused:

You haven't realised? He never learnt how to say lens, even after so many corrections. Some people just don't want to change, even when you dangle the carrot right in front of them for the taking. :dunno:

How about MARCO. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.