EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM lens good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivancen

Jul 2, 2003
East
Visit site
hi to all,

am newbie trying to get intro to DSLR. I'm considering 2nd hand 1000D and separately purchasing EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM lens. I mainly take snapshots indoors eg concert halls, etc. Does anyone know where is a good place to purchase this lens (reasonable price) thanks. Used is ok with me.

The usual place..... CP, MS, John 3:16..... etc

17-55 is a very good Canon EFS lens for crop. But it is a bit expensive.
You may look at the B & S section in CS to look for 2nd hand copy.

Said to be the best standard zoom for 1.6 crop cameras. It's expensive, though.

A good copy of this lens will blow you away. As it is, it has blown away ALL the competition including Sigma/Tamron/Nikon/Tokina equivalent. Hell, it's even better than the 24-70 f/2.8 (both Nikon and Canon versions) on FF... for a start, it has IS. :D

correct me if i am wrong, but i thought 17-55 f/2.8 couldn't be used for FF?

correct me if i am wrong, but i thought 17-55 f/2.8 couldn't be used for FF?
Correct, 17-55/2.8 can't be used on FF. What doodah meant was that it beats the 24-70/2.8 on FF cameras and I agree - the 17-55 is one of the best zooms for crop cameras.

Maybe TS might want to consider 70-200 ? You need some serious zoom if you are far away from the stage.

Correct, 17-55/2.8 can't be used on FF. What doodah meant was that it beats the 24-70/2.8 on FF cameras and I agree - the 17-55 is one of the best zooms for crop cameras.
for the review, it the best lens for canon on this range! but if you toking about value for money, that another issue liao. good pic cannot weight by the cost of the lens :)

for the review, it the best lens for canon on this range! but if you toking about value for money, that another issue liao. good pic cannot weight by the cost of the lens :)

Agree.
The cheaper alternative will be Tamron 17-50. Only around $650 for new copy.
You can tell a different between the photos taken by this 2 lenses, if you zoom into 100% (so called pixel peep?). If not, most of the time, it is hardly differentiate.

Go for 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM if you can afford! Very sharp lens.
If possbile add the EF-S 55-250 IS lens for tele.

I got this lens on my Canon 40D too. Super sharp even at f/2.8. :D Very worth buying. 3rd party lens, like the tamron 17-50 f/2.8, is also good lens.

However, word of warning: my brother used it on Canon 450D during a recent wedding and encounter err99 a few times. Suspected contact problem between lens and body. What we had speculated (not proven though) was that the 450D body is not strong enough to hold the heavy 17-55 f/2.8 in place firmly.

I got this lens on my Canon 40D too. Super sharp even at f/2.8. :D Very worth buying. 3rd party lens, like the tamron 17-50 f/2.8, is also good lens.

However, word of warning: my brother used it on Canon 450D during a recent wedding and encounter err99 a few times. Suspected contact problem between lens and body. What we had speculated (not proven though) was that the 450D body is not strong enough to hold the heavy 17-55 f/2.8 in place firmly.

no laaa... if like that those uses 70-200mm how...

i think just normal dust and contact issues..

this is a very very good lens..i tried my frien lens..it is super fast and super clear..i am using tamron 17-50..not very good during low light condition..it is unable to focus on the object n i had to use manual focusing.,,.i think will get rid of 17-50 and buy the 17-55..heart pain but the result u get is nothing to mention.,.,

Maybe try to clean the contacts. Cause I used it on 350D with no problems.

this is a very very good lens..i tried my frien lens..it is super fast and super clear..i am using tamron 17-50..not very good during low light condition..it is unable to focus on the object n i had to use manual focusing.,,.i think will get rid of 17-50 and buy the 17-55..heart pain but the result u get is nothing to mention.,.,
sell it and cash for the lens bah! i yet to try this lens too. i wanna try try!! hehe

No lah... I use the 450D and 17-55mm. It's pretty firm. No err99 at all, after many months of very happy usage. :bsmilie:

I have not met anyone who regrets getting the 17-55mm. As one reviewer said, it puts a smile on his face everytime he looks at the results. It's true. I've been smiling a lot after I got this lens. :D

as far as i know the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM is an L-quality design but not marketed as L because it is the EF-S line (for crop bodies only).

Status
Not open for further replies.