EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM, AT-X 11-16mm f2.8 or AT-X 12-24mm f4 Pro DX?

EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM, AT-X 11-16mm f2.8 or AT-X 12-24mm f4 Pro DX?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cathay is selling $1150 now. Just called them up. OP is selling at $1070 when I went last week.

Hi, Try sigma 12-24mm on Nikon D700 for 122 degree FOV. If you shoot from a high-rise HDB flat down in mid-day afternoon light where the whole FOV is lighted up, there is no vignetting and the whole scenery of surrounding buildings is sharp without post-processing.

Hi, Try sigma 12-24mm on Nikon D700 for 122 degree FOV. If you shoot from a high-rise HDB flat down in mid-day afternoon light where the whole FOV is lighted up, there is no vignetting and the whole scenery of surrounding buildings is sharp without post-processing.

That's not a very helpful piece of advice or solution. Please stay relevant to the topic. :nono:

I had the sigma 10-20mm a good lens. however no longer have it.
I am leaning on tokina 11-16 as i need the f2.8. love taking street/ bldg shots in evening /night.

I am sure all are good enough, just tat tokina, u go for f2.8, Canon for the range 10-22 :) horses for courses.

Any idea how much is the sigma 10-20

Purchased the EF-S 10-22 mm some weeks back, found it very satisfying, good feel when handling, good picture quality.
I did mull over the purchase for several months, and I did some research, apart from reading up reviews and comments, looked up my own pictures through Zoombrowser, and realised that statistically on some many occasion, especially for indoor and in outdoor crowded situation, about a third of the pictures were shot at 17mm using my EFS 17-85mm lens. Of course this is a personal preference but it was a revealing piece of statistics, thought I would share with members here.

Bro, how much u bought it and where?

Purchased the EF-S 10-22 mm some weeks back, found it very satisfying, good feel when handling, good picture quality.
I did mull over the purchase for several months, and I did some research, apart from reading up reviews and comments, looked up my own pictures through Zoombrowser, and realised that statistically on some many occasion, especially for indoor and in outdoor crowded situation, about a third of the pictures were shot at 17mm using my EFS 17-85mm lens. Of course this is a personal preference but it was a revealing piece of statistics, thought I would share with members here.

I am wondering why more people are leaning towards Canon 10-22mm USM than Tokina 11-16 when Tokina has better image quality throughout from center to border.

Is it because canon USM focus faster and TOkina does not have USM equvilent?
Is it because canon cover a wider (10% wider) and more telephoto range to make it a more useful lens?

guess it's compatibility in future & wider FOV and range.

For those who needs a f2.8...not much choice :)

woah, where did you got ur 10-22mm at that price?

I am wondering why more people are leaning towards Canon 10-22mm USM than Tokina 11-16 when Tokina has better image quality throughout from center to border.

I know Photozone seems to support the above claim, but my personal experience (I owned both 10-22 and 11-16 at one time) is different.

You can see some side-by-side comparisons of 5 most desirable ultrawide lenses (Sigma 10-20, Sigma 10-20 f/3.5, Tamron 10-24, Canon 10-22, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8) if you follow this link. Identical settings. Identical scene. Identical camera. From 10mm to 20mm. Wide open and stopped down to f/11. Flare resistance is also checked.

Last edited:
The 10-22mm has much better resolving power. Confirmed! I have checked 2 images taken with the 2 lenses at the same location at the same time.

I know Photozone seems to support the above claim, but my personal experience (I owned both 10-22 and 11-16 at one time) is different.

You can see some side-by-side comparisons of 5 most desirable ultrawide lenses (Sigma 10-20, Sigma 10-20 f/3.5, Tamron 10-24, Canon 10-22, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8) if you follow this link. Identical settings. Identical scene. Identical camera. From 10mm to 20mm. Wide open and stopped down to f/11. Flare resistance is also checked.

ferrai said:
Originally Posted by ferrai View Post

Just got my 10-22 at 960. No regrets. Love this lens

hai.. may i know where did u buy ur 10-22mm? :)

:bsmilie: Please check when he posted that post first.... 27th September 2008

As of now... For $960 likely 2nd hand only.

:bsmilie: Please check when he posted that post first.... 27th September 2008

As of now... For $960 likely 2nd hand only.

:bsmilie: i think now the cheapest you can get from the shops will be around $1100 :dunno:
i just checked the B&H website...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/351542-GREY/Canon_9518A002_EF_S_10_22mm_f_3_5_4_5_USM.html
inclusive of freight it comes up to approximately S$1060.

I just bought the Canon 10-22mm two days ago (15 Dec 2009). Price is S$1150, from CP.

Anyway, something that wasn't mentioned previously is that the Canon lens uses L-lens elements, so it is similar to the 17-55mm, where its IQ is like an L, but not built to be an L. Go figure.

Here is the quote:

I was apprehensive about a non-L Canon 10-22mm Lens. Softening my apprehension was knowledge that Canon was including three Aspherical lens elements and a Canon L Lens Series-like Super-UD element.

From the-digital-picture.com.

Of the 3 lenses, I decided to go with the Canon EF-S 10-22. Its closest competitor in terms of image quality is the Tokina 11-16, but the price difference was only about $100, which negates a lot of the benefit of going with Tokina. Bought the EFS 10-22 from John 3:16 a few weeks ago, and they gave a reasonable price too - $1110.

Why Canon?
Well, with Canon I can rest assured that I have a lens with great resolution, low chromatic abberation, and the least distortion at wide angle of any of the 3 lenses. And a big plus is local support from the Canon Service Centre if there is any problem with front/back focusing, etc. which you won't get easily from Tokina.

Tamron 10-24mm user here. I find it sharp enough.

Is the Tamron UWA really so CMI?

I've been mulling over the 2 lens for the past week or so. Read endless reviews and forum discussions. Personally, I love the Tokina 11-16 but decided to get the Canon 10-22 only becuase the range is more practical for my street photography. The Tok would be great for indoor shoots... but alas... decisions, decisions, decisions...

Called TK, MScolor and P&G. Seems like the Canon is out of stock in most places. Any recommendation and latest prices? Thanks ;)

I've been mulling over the 2 lens for the past week or so. Read endless reviews and forum discussions. Personally, I love the Tokina 11-16 but decided to get the Canon 10-22 only becuase the range is more practical for my street photography. The Tok would be great for indoor shoots... but alas... decisions, decisions, decisions...

Called TK, MScolor and P&G. Seems like the Canon is out of stock in most places. Any recommendation and latest prices? Thanks ;)

I just got my 10-22 a week ago from B&H and everything was in place. Loving it so far! :thumbsup:
Cost me abt S$1060. You can check it out. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/