ef 85mm f/1.8 hunting focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec 1, 2008
Hi guys,

I've just bought a Canon ef 85mm f/1.8. Really like the lens but found out that sometimes the lens seem to be hunting quite a bit in well lit condition. I do understand the minimum focus distance and that focusing require different shade in order for the lens to focus.

Can anyone kindly advise if the lens need to be send to csc for checking or its the nature of the lens.

p.s I just bought it today.

Thanks.

Hi guys,

I've just bought a Canon ef 85mm f/1.8. Really like the lens but found out that sometimes the lens seem to be hunting quite a bit in well lit condition. I do understand the minimum focus distance and that focusing require different shade in order for the lens to focus.

Can anyone kindly advise if the lens need to be send to csc for checking or its the nature of the lens.

p.s I just bought it today.

Thanks.

Bought brand new?? Can go back to shop within 7 days for 1 to 1 exchange. Ask to test a few other copies to cfm if theres a prob with yours.

That's only one side of it. The 2nd part are the AF sensors that need to pick up the patterns, guide the lens and lock the focus. Try to use the center focus point and have the contrast pattern in the the central region of viewfinder.
I know that my cam (350D) has some weakness in the AF part compared to higher end bodies.

Thanks guys.. I guess I'll verify another copy.

Thanks a million =))

85 f/1.8 focusing is usually quick and accurate.

Was it a tricky scene that you were trying to shoot?

Thats what i felt too when i tested the lens at other store. however there's only 1 left in the store i bought, and somehow this lens seem to hunt when i randomly focus anywhere (not the white wall). Will get clarification from the store and update again =)

Status
Not open for further replies.