EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM fisheye zoom lens

oTaRu

Dec 25, 2004
Hi, I dont seem to see any thread on this discussion. :sweat:
is it nothing impressive to discuss about?

fisheye lenses are not very mainstream perhaps? I like to play with them when I get the chance to borrow one, but I'm not that interested in fisheye lenses either, at least not enough to pay for one when you can invest your money in another, more practical lens :D

ya... true but i just curious how effective is it on APS-H and APS-C bodies...

Problem with lenses with such front glass ... NO FILTERS CAN FIT IT

You have to be extra careful when out shooting to prevent scratching the front element.

Was fascinated with fish eye lenses back in film days, but not my cup of tea anymore ...

I suppose the focal range will differ with the crop and FF bodies. So your Field of View will be different too (conjecture on my part on the basis of the other normal lenses).

Cheers!

Canon's solution to Nikon's nano coating - Subwavelength structure coating .. sounds a mouthful.

Very innovative release by Canon once again, after their uber wide 17 t/s.
But not a staple for many users though. definitely not on my wish list.

ryan

Still prefer the current 15mm fisheye lens because it's f/2.8. Fisheye images are unique and may not appeal to everyone and doubt a circular fisheye image will be well received to lose the 1 extra stop. APS-C or APS-H users might find it more useful, but I prefer the 15/2.8 on FF.

It is an interesting new lens with fisheye effect on FF between 9-14mm. At 15mm, it does not have any more fisheye effect. This will allow people who are interested in UWA to try out the fisheye effect without investing in a separate lens. Personally, for a lens at this UWA angle, large aperture is not a requirement as I will usually stop down to f/8 or above for landscapes. Of course, flexibility is good, but I would rather not pay for something I don't need.

i'm very interested with this lens, i don't see a problem losing a stop compared to the 15mm, at such short focal length you can handhold at very low shutter speed. this lens may not be as practical or useful, but i love fisheye:)

I only use fisheye lens when I shoot in school for my class mates.

I'll borrow a Tokina 10-17.

Well, fisheye do have a different perspective towards photography.

However, it doesn't seem to look good if almost 95% of the pictures are all fisheye effect.

I would think that for existing 15mm owners, there might be little incentive to move to the new zoom. But for people who are somewhat already interested in getting a FE, the zoom provides a creative alternative having both full frame fisheye and circular all in one. :bsmilie:

ryan