EF 28-135mm as "walk-around" lens for 350D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blithevincent

Jul 13, 2006
Although with 1.6 crop factor, this lens can not serve as wide lens, its USM and IS attract me a lot...

any user of this cute budget lens? How is the field performance of it?:D

Use this all the time as my walk around lens, but I sometimes do switch to my 28-70 if the whim or need arises. Quite a good lens to have around, especially the focal range. Never saw the need for the 24 - 105 f4 as I still can't quite justify (to myself) the improvement over the 28 -135.

Not too bothered about the aperture range, if using it during the day, but that's why I've got the 28-70 for, for lowlight shoots.

Walking around, I've normally got my Sigma 20 mm f1.8 for shooting wides, if necessary.

PoF

The 24-70L would be a better walkaround glass :thumbsup:

28-135 tends to creep after a year or so of usage. Every 28-135 is like that. You won't go wrong with the 24-70L :thumbsup:

24-70L is a bit expensive...

As a beginner the 28-135 is alright ... its kind of a "cover all lens" ... as your skills improve and you decide what to shoot more often ... and demand more, then its time for a change - else the 28-135 does wonders... do consider its sharper counterpart - 28-105... its known to be sharper than the IS copy.

I've used the 28-135 on my 300D for quite sometime before migrating the L land .. :bsmilie: ... but i still take the lens out for use when i need to cover that range - its not L but it still does the job ... :thumbsup:

_espn_ said:
The 24-70L would be a better walkaround glass :thumbsup:

28-135 tends to creep after a year or so of usage. Every 28-135 is like that. You won't go wrong with the 24-70L :thumbsup:

what do you mean creep? zoom creep?

hwchoy said:
what do you mean creep? zoom creep?

the 24-70/24-105 will suffer the same fate over time also lar... cos the front portion extends outwards... over time it gets loose and it just slowly "slips" out ...

dEthANGeL said:
the 24-70/24-105 will suffer the same fate over time also lar... cos the front portion extends outwards... over time it gets loose and it just slowly "slips" out ...
No. My 28-70L is from 1994 or 95 and still absolutely no creeping. Tat's why it's called an L lens. Have you ever seen a 24-70 or 24-105 with zoom creep? I bet not.

kraterz said:
No. My 28-70L is from 1994 or 95 and still absolutely no creeping. Tat's why it's called an L lens. Have you ever seen a 24-70 or 24-105 with zoom creep? I bet not.

that because you never use often enough, my 28-70 and 24-70 suffers from zoom creep

dEthANGeL said:
As a beginner the 28-135 is alright ... its kind of a "cover all lens" ... as your skills improve and you decide what to shoot more often ... and demand more, then its time for a change - else the 28-135 does wonders... do consider its sharper counterpart - 28-105... its known to be sharper than the IS copy.

I've used the 28-135 on my 300D for quite sometime before migrating the L land .. :bsmilie: ... but i still take the lens out for use when i need to cover that range - its not L but it still does the job ... :thumbsup:

Thank you dEthANGel, but my last concern is will it serve as a good travel lens without wide?:)

sonix said:
Better choice probably 17-85mm for travel :)
Yea man.. second that.

17-40L is nice on 1.6x crop. It has the wide to mid.

24-70L again it's nice, but not wide enough

28-135 has very nice range, but not wide enough

17-85 would be a nice choice IMO.

Get a good copy and quality would be pretty decent.

then how about 18-55 II USM? :bsmilie: :)

blithevincent said:
then how about 18-55 II USM? :bsmilie: :)
If yours is a good copy, keep it!

I'm keeping mine. But I forsee myself buying another lens to replace it.

Probably a 17-85. Nicer range ;p

dEthANGeL said:
No leh, I tested a few 24-70Ls, no such known problems, I don't know about 24-105L though.

28-135mm is a good walk around lens. i am pretty happy with it. But it does have some shortcomings. one is sometimes it is just not wide enough, making u feel very frustrated; another is it is not that sharp when u use it to take landscape photos. however, if u don't view your pics at 100% or print to 12x18, it should not be a problem.

since you do not mind the crop factor and do not mind changing lenses, then I will say go for it. It has a very nice range. If you were to compare the 17-85 vs 28-135 I'd prefer the 28-135 cos it has less distortions, less CA and cheaper

Couple the 28-135 with the kit lens (18-55) and you have a very affordable walk around pair. A very good copy of the 28-135 is not too far off from a 24-105L

Hi,
I am using one with my 350D. The zoom creep and the not-wide-enough focal length are the only things that bothers me. But overall, it has been performing well.

And by the way, the IS function is relatively useless. If you do not need the extra range, a lighter 28-105 may be a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.