EF 24-70L f2.8 with IS Rumour

+1, but i am not sure what is average means? I
rented 35L once and found i was getting better result out of 24-70L than 35L. I almost got 70~80% keeper from 24-70L (i don't think anyone can claim that they are getting 100% keeper from their prime).

I was referring to the image quality from 24-70L.... based on the review I went through... some said that they have good copies, but most have IQ that are not so outstanding....

If you are a prime shooter, it is different..... I think maybe you have not gotten used to shooting with primes... primes make photo taking more challenging and difficult..... and you have to think hard on how to frame the photo.... different primes user have different preference point.... mine is 35mm FOV....

I was referring to the image quality from 24-70L.... based on the review I went through... some said that they have good copies, but most have IQ that are not so outstanding....

If you are a prime shooter, it is different..... I think maybe you have not gotten used to shooting with primes... primes make photo taking more challenging and difficult..... and you have to think hard on how to frame the photo.... different primes user have different preference point.... mine is 35mm FOV....

Bad QC? Hmm. I think shoot with prime quite fun leh. As in i learned alot about the particular focal length and its limitations and advamtages with a prime lens.

Bad QC? Hmm. I think shoot with prime quite fun leh. As in i learned alot about the particular focal length and its limitations and advantages with a prime lens.

Prime is fun.. that's why I have a few of them... only wished canon come out with new design for the ancients primes in their line up....

All these misunderstandings, needs vs wants, required or not for this focal range, pro or amature or newbie, etc etc.. It does not affect Canon one tiny bit.

I can't speak for everyone but all I know is, Canon if you are listening, I WANT THIS LENS. The day this lens is announced, my name will be on the pre-order list. Whoever who wants this lens, let your voices be heard and when it's loud enough and when Canon sees a market for it, they will make it happen whether or not it is a want/need/necessity and regardless of the level of the user.

I think we really read to much reviews.
I never see any soft image out of 24-70L (there can also be bad copies of prime, someone recently bought 35L and it was lemon).
I can guess prime will be sharper as there are not many focal length there to play with in same lens, but given different situation i think ppl prefer different lens. I like 35L but then i like to take my kids together and some time zoomed on face area. Using 35L i don't think i can achieve it with one lens unless i run near or far to compensate zoom :).
I sold my 24-70L to try prime but end-up i am still stuck so for time being i am using 50f1.8 and loving the IQ.

All these misunderstandings, needs vs wants, required or not for this focal range, pro or amature or newbie, etc etc.. It does not affect Canon one tiny bit.

I can't speak for everyone but all I know is, Canon if you are listening, I WANT THIS LENS. The day this lens is announced, my name will be on the pre-order list. Whoever who wants this lens, let your voices be heard and when it's loud enough and when Canon sees a market for it, they will make it happen whether or not it is a want/need/necessity and regardless of the level of the user.

I don't think they are listening. They give a hoot, i am sure they would have done their homework before announcing these new lens. They know where they will make more money, like i said maybe eventually this lens so called IS will come out. But remember word MAYBE.
But if they will do it (i will get one ;)).

Prime is fun.. that's why I have a few of them... only wished canon come out with new design for the ancients primes in their line up....

Haha my gf consistently complain about my love for 50mm f1.8. Especially when we are indoor. It gets a bit challenging but i cant yet afford another prime of a lesser focal length. :(

I don't think they are listening. They give a hoot, i am sure they would have done their homework before announcing these new lens. They know where they will make more money, like i said maybe eventually this lens so called IS will come out. But remember word MAYBE.
But if they will do it (i will get one ;)).

I may get it if i start work by then. :bsmilie:

After all the range is attractive. I am thinking 12-24mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm. Plus a few primes like 35, 50, 85 or 100. :)

Daydreaming. Hahaha

Last edited:
I may get it if i start work by then. :bsmilie:

After all the range is attractive. I am thinking 12-24mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm. Plus a few primes like 35, 50, 85 or 100. :)

Daydreaming. Hahaha

I love 50 but even on FF it is a bit tight for home :sweat:, i think 35 is the best (35L can be a plus but need more money :D).

I love 50 but even on FF it is a bit tight for home :sweat:, i think 35 is the best (35L can be a plus but need more money :D).

I think so too. Coz i had to "zoom out" with my feet when i used 50mm for my friends' indoor events and i bump into girls while doing that. :think::bsmilie:

But sadly i can only buy 50mm at the moment. But its a good lens to begin with and learn.

Haha my gf consistently complain about my love for 50mm f1.8. Especially when we are indoor. It gets a bit challenging but i cant yet afford another prime of a lesser focal length. :(
The EF 35mm f/2 is around $400 odd. If you are into primes, that is the lens to target for a crop frame. Alternatively Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is pure sweetness but have to top extra $300 odd.

The EF 35mm f/2 is around $400 odd. If you are into primes, that is the lens to target for a crop frame. Alternatively Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is pure sweetness but have to top extra $300 odd.

That was my budget. But i had to allocate some for di-622. So i ended up with 50mm instead of 35mm. So i had to make do with zooming with my feet.

Maybe his hand are very steady who knows? But using ** words on someone is totally unacceptable.

Actually, I was not aware that he was calling me such, and if he did it intentionally, then he got to know that usually it takes a bigger one to know one of such. But I am definitely not one of such, so, do you guys think I should report him.

Actually, I was not aware that he was calling me such, and if he did it intentionally, then he got to know that usually it takes a bigger one to know one of such. But I am definitely not one of such, so, do you guys think I should report him.

I told him he was being rude, i think its unintentional.

Whats wrong with debating with him regarding a subjective issue? Debates are all about subjective issues. Why don't you tell debaters "unless you are Barack Obama if not why shd ppl listen to you"? Besides, i've always maintained that i am still learning and new. Its just my Opinion. You mean newbies can't have any opinions? If newbies cant have opinions and pre-concepts how do they learn? Human learn better by constructivist model, through formulating opinions and learning whether they are wrong, newbies and students learn better.

You don't sound humble much too.
"they" is in reference to Canon.

haha. Really interesting thread. I hope no one takes it too seriously. Its the internet!

OK. I want that 24-70 f2.8 IS when it comes out. I am no master, my hands are not as strong. I only know I will definitely have "less blur" shooting with IS at 1/4s. That alone is good enough reason to upgrade.I have owned almost the entire range from wide to mid zoom lense from Canon and know what will work for me.

Another guy say shooting 1/4s with or wthout IS is suicidal. I guarantee you that many masters in the photography community can shoot still subjects at 1/4s and not get suicidal results.

But I know they are probably not in this thread, cos true masters usually dun waste time talking S**t unlike us!

Last edited:
haha. Really interesting thread. I hope no one takes it too seriously. Its the internet!

OK. I want that 24-70 f2.8 IS when it comes out. I am no master, my hands are not as strong. I only know I will definitely have "less blur" shooting with IS at 1/4s. That alone is good enough reason to upgrade.I have owned almost the entire range from wide to mid zoom lense from Canon and know what will work for me.

Another guy say shooting 1/4s with or wthout IS is suicidal. I guarantee you that many masters in the photography community can shoot still subjects at 1/4s and not get suicidal results.

But I know they are probably not in this thread, cos true masters usually dun waste time talking S**t unlike us!

Do you think these masters can do it without IS? Hmm... Why do i have a feeling that they can do it without IS?

Last edited:

So you think on the internet you can call me names. Show me your shots, handheld, at events, using 1/4s at ISO 400.