East Coast Park Sunrise TFCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ykia

Apr 23, 2005
PunggolJetty.Com
My first time posting in this section with super-newbie shots.
Thanks to YanYewKay for arranging this TFCD with a very willing subject :) :thumbsup:, and she is new to this, too! So no commenting on the subject, please.

Please limit your comments on the lighting, composition and posing.

IMAGES HAVE BEEN REMOVE

Continues...

I am not as nice as octane and lumiere :)

My first time posting in this section with super-newbie shots.
Thanks to YanYewKay for arranging this TFCD with a very willing subject, and she is new to this, too! So no commenting on the subject, please.

Please limit your comments on the lighting, composition and posing.

Being a super newbie is not an excuse. Being a super newbie photographer is definately not an excuse to commit .....

Once you posted a picture, everything is open to C&C, and that includes the subject. Nothing is immune. Asking no comments on the subject is ridiculous. My comment on the "wiling subject" is, why was she willing.On the subject of lighting, composition and posing, well, I am going to have a field day. I am not been so motivated for a long long time.

pic 1

Messy Hair
unnatural pose
distortion on subject limbs, extremities, including head/face due to bad composition
amputation of limbs
direct flash resulting in blown highlights on selected part of face and body
horrible choice of outfits

pic 2

Messy Hair
unnatural pose
direct flash resulting in blown highlights on selected part of face and body

pic 3

very bad exposure, totally under
unnatural pose
amputation of limbs

1423055335_23096a7f64_o.jpg

Continues...

all 3, 4, 5 and 6, exposures are way off the mark. and no. 5, I wish the model never sees this one. She will die, she will want a hole to crawl into.

Shooting sunrise does not mean shooting directly inot the sun. FLARES!!!!!
Shooting sunrise with a model means you have to deal with tricky exposures. Just popping the on camera flash is not a solution.

Please learn how to walk before attempting high hurdles.

1423061773_80a8698163_o.jpg

1423946152_4e5fac8e4c_o.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

These could have been the only barely passable of the pictures you posted. However, & is terribly under exposed again.

8, now that the sun is up and you are shooting with the sun to the model's side, I guess the camera "P" mode worked.

However, it is your job as the photographer to compose the image and pose the model. In 7 and 8, well, you failed to pose the model. Since the model is inexperienced, she will not know what and how to pose, what looks good and what is not flattering. Her 2 poses here are worse than not flattering.

I sincerely hope both of you will learn from this experience. You will hopefully become a better photographer. For the model, and whoever made the arrangement for this TFCD, it is ALWAYS a bad idea to throw a brand new model against a brand new photographer. This series of pictures is a good example why this is a bad idea.

Thanks Lumiere & Octane69 ! :)

DP: I had to take the risk and I know the consequences, so don't worry. ;)
Like to hear more on why #5 won't bode well with the subject?
Thanks for taking the time in putting your thoughts to this post.

i think you should not get the model to wake up this early to shoot at sunrise...
the lighting is extremely hard to control.

the technical aspects have probably been explained by DP.

Shoot more..but shoot wisely yah.
cos' it costs the model/subject her beauty sleep....

Thanks grainpixel! Point taken -- keep it at a sane hour & lighting condition.

On the contrary. The golden light is best in the morning, better than at sunset in most cases, as photography books will explain.

One of my pet peeves about models here is that they don't wake up early enough to catch the golden light.

i think you should not get the model to wake up this early to shoot at sunrise...
the lighting is extremely hard to control.

the technical aspects have probably been explained by DP.

Shoot more..but shoot wisely yah.
cos' it costs the model/subject her beauty sleep....

DP: I had to take the risk and I know the consequences, so don't worry. ;)
Like to hear more on why #5 won't bode well with the subject?
Thanks for taking the time in putting your thoughts to this post.

I don't worry. Your "fortune" in photography is not my concern nor something I can do about.

Why don't you go in person, and show the model the picture.

I don't worry. Your "fortune" in photography is not my concern nor something I can do about.

Why don't you go in person, and show the model the picture.
Will do just that, thanks!

On the contrary. The golden light is best in the morning, better than at sunset in most cases, as photography books will explain.

One of my pet peeves about models here is that they don't wake up early enough to catch the golden light.

The golden light at sunrise was excellent yesterday & not being a model, waking up wasn't an issue. Sigh... I lacked the experience to take full advantage of it :cry:.

I see interesting comments here, haha. Well, I think I will provide the techniques since DP has provided the bombardment. ^^

"Everyone wants to shoot portraits at sunrise or sunset because the sky is so gorgeous, but the problem generally is that (i) your subject either comes out as a silhouette because the sunset is behind them, or (ii) you use a flash and your subject looks washed out. Here's how to get great portraits at sunset without washing out your subject. Start by turning off your flash and aim at the sky (not at the sun please). Then, hold your shutter button halfway down to take an exposure reading from the sky, and while still holding the shutter button halfway down (or you can turn on the exposure lock (AE Lock) button on your digital camera), recompose the shot by aiming at your subject, but now turn the flash on and reveal your subject with the light of the flash. This way, your subject gets fill flash, but the sky behind them still looks great. It's an old trick, but it's still around because it works so well." - Kelby, S., The Digital Photography Book. (You can get this book anywhere.)

You need to practise a few times. Rome was not built in a day and first times won't be great. I did five sunrise shots at Ubin with my gf as the model. Waking up at 5am and taking the boat in the morning rough seas is part of the shoot. It doesn't matter whether the morning sun is hard to control. You want to take the morning sunrise shot? You go get it. You want to get a better shot? Go again. Getting up at 5am is a small matter. To lose great moments to practise is a big matter. Don't listen to people saying crap such as "You've made the model ugly", "Not worth to get up so early", "Making the model get up early" blah blah blah... and all the acidities. You have made the model ugly so what? Is everyone perfect? Nope. Furthermore, you are practising. It is also known that not everyone at the shoot is a pro, right? If a model has agreed to a shoot, it is her job to be early and be punctual. You don't have to blame yourself or say sorry for not achieving good shots of her and wasting her time or sleep. Tell yourself next time you will achieve better and better shots. (Well, this is how I work. You can see that I like to shoot the same models again and again occasionally.)

You did something right though - you joined a TFCD (private) shoot. This is good for experimenting. In fact when you go for such a shoot, never be shy. Bring books for reference. Rather than trying to recall the poses, compositions, how-tos and the configs, you can just pick up the books and refer to them onsite. So far I have seen MikeElliot do it. He is an old bird, but he still brings along a book or two.

In short, attitude is the key. ^^

The best time at dawn is daybreak, which means the moment you see the first light.
That's the best. :)

leejay is a kind person and his word will encourage newbies to do better.
leejay, thanks for the sharing.... I have learned for you too :)

wow. .
learn something new from DP & LJ
:):thumbsup:

@leejay - I've just jaw-dropped what you've shared to us, and really proud of you... you've learned so much and unselfishly you share to us of what you've learned & experienced... really, really proud of you, leejay... all the best to you!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

@ykia - experimenting, trial and error, and continous learning from mistakes are the integral part of photography... just enjoy it...

@leejay - I've just jaw-dropped what you've shared to us, and really proud of you... you've learned so much and unselfishly you share to us of what you've learned & experienced... really, really proud of you, leejay... all the best to you!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I second that man... kudos to Leejay for his great encouragement and even willing to share photography technique rather than just comment on the photo:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I see interesting comments here, haha. Well, I think I will provide the techniques since DP has provided the bombardment. ^^

"Everyone wants to shoot portraits at sunrise or sunset because the sky is so gorgeous, but the problem generally is that (i) your subject either comes out as a silhouette because the sunset is behind them, or (ii) you use a flash and your subject looks washed out. Here's how to get great portraits at sunset without washing out your subject. Start by turning off your flash and aim at the sky (not at the sun please). Then, hold your shutter button halfway down to take an exposure reading from the sky, and while still holding the shutter button halfway down (or you can turn on the exposure lock (AE Lock) button on your digital camera), recompose the shot by aiming at your subject, but now turn the flash on and reveal your subject with the light of the flash. This way, your subject gets fill flash, but the sky behind them still looks great. It's an old trick, but it's still around because it works so well." - Kelby, S., The Digital Photography Book. (You can get this book anywhere.)

You need to practise a few times. Rome was not built in a day and first times won't be great. I did five sunrise shots at Ubin with my gf as the model. Waking up at 5am and taking the boat in the morning rough seas is part of the shoot. It doesn't matter whether the morning sun is hard to control. You want to take the morning sunrise shot? You go get it. You want to get a better shot? Go again. Getting up at 5am is a small matter. To lose great moments to practise is a big matter. Don't listen to people saying crap such as "You've made the model ugly", "Not worth to get up so early", "Making the model get up early" blah blah blah... and all the acidities. You have made the model ugly so what? Is everyone perfect? Nope. Furthermore, you are practising. It is also known that not everyone at the shoot is a pro, right? If a model has agreed to a shoot, it is her job to be early and be punctual. You don't have to blame yourself or say sorry for not achieving good shots of her and wasting her time or sleep. Tell yourself next time you will achieve better and better shots. (Well, this is how I work. You can see that I like to shoot the same models again and again occasionally.)

You did something right though - you joined a TFCD (private) shoot. This is good for experimenting. In fact when you go for such a shoot, never be shy. Bring books for reference. Rather than trying to recall the poses, compositions, how-tos and the configs, you can just pick up the books and refer to them onsite. So far I have seen MikeElliot do it. He is an old bird, but he still brings along a book or two.

In short, attitude is the key. ^^

:thumbsup::thumbsup: for a friend....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.