E5 weatherproofing tested in Iceland

Oly5050

Feb 1, 2005
Last edited:
Hmmm...cannot seem to embed the video.

But in the early part of the video, he immersed the E5 while it was videoing in the thermal spring. Then he showered it off to get rid of the sulphur etc. Thank goodness he never aim wrongly. :)
Finally, there was this scene where he videoed a waterfall right at its base.

One thing I note, wind noise is quite irritating. I guess only a sponge can help with that.

Hmmm...cannot seem to embed the video.

But in the early part of the video, he immersed the E5 while it was videoing in the thermal spring. Then he showered it off to get rid of the sulphur etc. Thank goodness he never aim wrongly. :)
Finally, there was this scene where he videoed a waterfall right at its base.

One thing I note, wind noise is quite irritating. I guess only a sponge can help with that.

Don't think you can put a sponge on the camera's mic

Is it me or is the video jerking from left to right when he was panning across the icebergs? Laggy framerates or is the IS working to stabilise the 'image'?

Is it me or is the video jerking from left to right when he was panning across the icebergs? Laggy framerates or is the IS working to stabilise the 'image'?

Jerking left to right or up and down? Nothing seems wrong to me, except the shakes since he was mostly shooting handheld

Don't think you can put a sponge on the camera's mic

Actually, the right term for that piece of sponge is a wind-filter. Something can be easily homemade to work on the mic. But taking into consideration the material and stuff. Will experiment later on... another way is to buy a professional video mic and use that with the E5. That comes with a wind filter.

Actually, the right term for that piece of sponge is a wind-filter. Something can be easily homemade to work on the mic. But taking into consideration the material and stuff. Will experiment later on... another way is to buy a professional video mic and use that with the E5. That comes with a wind filter.

It comes in sponge form or fluffy material right? Or are there more? The fluffy thing on mics cats love to jump on, I like that :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Check this out...I think this is the first video of the E5 being immersed in a hotspring in Iceland while the video is running!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwAQ4WHbuM

[youtube]tZwAQ4WHbuM[/youtube]

Also, some amazing photos...

http://www.markhumpage.com/Mother-Nature/Iceland-E5-Oct-2010/14319774_VJYNK#1059881207_kEdog

*Edit,video now plays here (Spidey89)

Really nice photos. Olympus excels in documentary type of photography.

Oly lenses are waterproof as well?

The E-3/5 are not water proof, just weather sealed. Big difference. Yeah it could take a bit of dunking but please don't use it for underwater photography.

Basically the E3/5 is just like a car. It is weatherproof ie rain, sun, sand, cold all ok. But just not waterproof, ie cannot go underwater. A non-weatherproof camera, rain start, shooting stops.... Or hv to use rain coat.

then how did the guy manage to go underwater with his camera and lens? I know it was for a moment but why no seepage into the lens or body?

then how did the guy manage to go underwater with his camera and lens? I know it was for a moment but why no seepage into the lens or body?

That's a very good question with a very simple answer, I don't have the exact simple answer, but basically,its more of endurance, its like,fire burns, but it takes somewhat around a second before something burns (unless you're using kerosene), or probably asking you to carry something, you can lift something very much heavier than you own body weight but for just that brief moment, likewise, while the camera may not be made to be waterproof, its seals are durable enough to endure a brief submergence without any form of damage to the camera and lens

I think a simpler answer would be that the seals are meant to withstand up to a certain amount of pressure like water-resistant watches that are rated for 100m. Anything beyond that, the water pressure will push the seal aside and allow water to flow. The seals in the E-3/5 should be made to withstand quite a fair bit of pressure which is why there is no seepage even when rain is pounding on the camera (Especially the top buttons area). I think if he would have submerged it by about half a meter more i think the pressure would be enough to allow water in. =)

Basically, pressure not high enough and duration is short.

Weatherproof means that it can withstand water at atmospheric pressure. Once submerged, the pressure will be atmospheric PLUS the depth of the water. So if u submerge it 5 cm, then the water pressure will be atmospheric PLUS 5 cm H20. Probably when submerged, water is probably starting to penetrate the seals, but because the duration is short, it does not get through so integrity is still maintained.

I think a simpler answer would be that the seals are meant to withstand up to a certain amount of pressure like water-resistant watches that are rated for 100m. Anything beyond that, the water pressure will push the seal aside and allow water to flow. The seals in the E-3/5 should be made to withstand quite a fair bit of pressure which is why there is no seepage even when rain is pounding on the camera (Especially the top buttons area). I think if he would have submerged it by about half a meter more i think the pressure would be enough to allow water in. =)

I'm not sure if one could really say its built to withstand pressure since even putting the camera at the same distance for a certain amount of time will cause water to seep in, in any case, its good to know that if I slip and drop my E-5 into the water a it'd still survive (within a certain time frame and within reasonable conditions) :bsmilie:

I'm not sure if one could really say its built to withstand pressure since even putting the camera at the same distance for a certain amount of time will cause water to seep in, in any case, its good to know that if I slip and drop my E-5 into the water a it'd still survive (within a certain time frame and within reasonable conditions) :bsmilie:

teeyt explanation is right. Its the same concept, but the pressure levels are way lower...like I said, probably not more than atmospheric pressure. Water from splash or rain, is actually water at something a little more than atmospheric pressure.

Once it is submerged, this pressure increases based on the depth. All physics lar...either u paid attention or you din. So even when u say something is waterproof, the next correct question is how deep and for how long because it all depends.

If u all catch no ball, I apologize...this is as best as I can explain it. Maybe if u google it, u may get a better understanding.

lol all the science geeks here.. HAHA =) anyway some rich guy should buy 2 E-5 and try submerging 1 as far as possible until water seeps in.. Then can share with us the maximum water depth resistance and we can all do underwater photography without casings =)

PS: Does any1 know how many post till the New Member status becomes Member? Kinda weird to be new member after 2+ years.. LOL.

Last edited: