[ E5 Image ] - Free Hand Shot E-5 + 300mm f2.8 + EC-20

Awesome. Bloody awesome.

This is one of the best shots yet. Because of the difficulty in shooting handheld and the harder part is shooting a black bird. Remarkable result.

Awesome. Bloody awesome.

This is one of the best shots yet. Because of the difficulty in shooting handheld and the harder part is shooting a black bird. Remarkable result.

I agree, no better way to put it, when it load finish (my internet is a little slow now) I went :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

I agree, no better way to put it, when it load finish (my internet is a little slow now) I went :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

There is if you are Singaporean...

Option 1 :
H'wah! Tok Kong Ah!

Option 2 :
Steady poon pee pee!

:bsmilie:

Both express the same admiration for the shot.

There is if you are Singaporean...

Option 1 :
H'wah! Tok Kong Ah!

Option 2 :
Steady poon pee pee!

:bsmilie:

Both express the same admiration for the shot.

Then my answers are gonna owe beating, option 1 = I not Hokkien, Hokkien also not good, so don't know that phrase and option 2 = Very long never use so forgot that phrase already :bsmilie:

An impressive achievement. Any reason you wanted to do this handheld, or were you just trying things out? Also, how long did you hold it for?

Free hand at 600mm?? That's absolutely sick! Beautiful shot and great detail :D

Just wanted to show what the E-5 can do with the Oly glass and thank you for the kind comments.

Eighk, I shoot without a tripod and the Oly IBIS is one of the reasons I went with Oly for birding. With the 300mm f2.8 plus the EC-14 and EC-20, I have enough reach and speed to do just about any kind of birding in a handholdable rig.

I can and often do shoot the whole day handholding this rig and I have walked up Mt Kinabalu with it. With the E-3, I shot this Mountain Black-Eye, a Bornean endemic bird, outside Gunting Lagadan which is about 12,000ft above sea level. You'd be hard pressed to find a more detailed shot of this bird which is very skittish and keeps to the higher canopy lower down the slopes.

Mountain Black-Eye by wokoti, on Flickr

Mountain Black-Eye by wokoti, on Flickr

Master at work:thumbsup: .....always a pleasure to see you shot handheld in the field :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

fantastic stuff...

gotta revisit the joys of handheld birding someday!

Great stuff. I'd love to see one of those 135 format lovers hand-holding a 1D* with 600mm lens and tele-converter. Oh wait, those lenses have to be optically stabilized, adding to the lens weight.

You'd have to work out in the gym for 6 months prior to using it. :bsmilie:

Hi Varanus,
Great shots you have there and I've been to your Flickr site to see your other collection. They are great and I really admire you for the strong arms you have to shoot without tripod. I know exactly what it is as I have the same 300mm F2.8 with TC 1.4 & 2. Must really learn from you how you can do it. Were you ex-Mr Singapore or some weightlifter? Ha! Ha! My friend G.S. Soh who uses the same lens have mentioned that he knows a friend who shoot with the same lens without a tripod. Wonder whether it's you! Keep those shots going.

www.flickr.com/photos/jbfoo

Well, I'm always hoping for more kakis to shoot handheld. Its tough shooting with friends with tripod mounted rigs because the whole approach to shooting is completely different and I end up getting in their way if I do my thing :embrass:

Hi Andy, I'm no weight lifter but I'm glad to know that there is another bird shooter out there with the 300mm f2.8. You've got some really nice bird pics in your collection and I left you a suggestion :)

I am most probably the guy gssoh was referring to. He (the first Oly senior) and I were the only ones shooting the 300mm f2.8 for the longest time, except of Oly sponsored John Arifin. In fact, there may well be a 4th shooter with the 300mm f2.8 before the end of the year. He is a pro-shooter and his endorsement of the IQ is something which I give much regard to.

Would love to have all of us meet up to shoot sometime soon. It'd be great to exchange notes. In fact, we can make it an Oly birding outing. Oh and I love the E5's output :lovegrin:

This is a Siberian Stonechat which I shot from my car. Processed from jpeg with no sharpening at all.

Siberian Stonechat by wokoti, on Flickr

I love the 300mm, but I got no money for 1 hahahah, but yea, probably can do one some time next year? Then I can just sit around and slack ;), BTW, the image seems a little bit blur around the eye area, or is it just me? :confused:

Last edited: