E3 vs 5DMkII

interesting read :)
as with other technology driven tools,
having the best technology does not meant you will win the market ...

WOW!! U guys still not done with the canon vs oly thingy? :sweat::sweat:

I've a go with the 5D2 last thur :) really fun.

The ranting thing... well he didn't touch on the tonality of the 5D2. What i found out was the 5D2 has a much finer & better tonal subtlety as compared to any of the lower end range, even the 7D is "no fight". Coupled it with an L lens, u get a really serious combo. Shoot with both 24-70L & my 100mm macro non-L, the difference is there even though one is a prime lens.

For Oly, as i've mentioned in the PL1 thread, the E3 is the only one with the smoothest gradation & rendering, any other lower end model is not there yet. Colour rendering can be similar but overall look rougher.

I believe for both sys, u'll need their top lens, ie, Oly needs SHG to shine & Canon needs L.

I dun understand why must top lens be so damn heavy!! :eek:

Let the BUY! BUY! BUY! Begins! HAHAHAHA!!!

The only shortcoming of the 5D2 for me is the bulk and weight, period :cool:

Last edited:
WOW!! U guys still not done with the canon vs oly thingy? :sweat::sweat:

I've a go with the 5D2 last thur :) really fun.

The ranting thing... well he didn't touch on the tonality of the 5D2. What i found out was the 5D2 has a much finer & better tonal subtlety as compared to any of the lower end range, even the 7D is "no fight". Coupled it with an L lens, u get a really serious combo. Shoot with both 24-70L & my 100mm macro non-L, the difference is there even though one is a prime lens.

For Oly, as i've mentioned in the PL1 thread, the E3 is the only one with the smoothest gradation & rendering, any other lower end model is not there yet. Colour rendering can be similar but overall look rougher.

I believe for both sys, u'll need their top lens, ie, Oly needs SHG to shine & Canon needs L.

I dun understand why must top lens be so damn heavy!! :eek:

Let the BUY! BUY! BUY! Begins! HAHAHAHA!!!

Actually Standard Zuikos are a bit above average if u ask me.

No one can be told what the SHG quality is, u gotta use it for urself. :lovegrin:

Same for the L lenses, never knew how they're like until i tried the 24-70 & 70-200 F2.8 on both 40D & 5DMK2, the tonal richness improves immediately

Interesting read. For me, the unerlying message is to use the right tool for the situation ;p Brand doesn't matter. I've used sigma lens on a canon body with an external nikon flash powered by olympus batteries and setup carried around in a fujifilm bag.

Last edited:
The only shortcoming of the 5D2 for me is the bulk and weight, period :cool:

After lugging my D700 around, the 5D2 is light for me. Less bulky too.

Thanks for sharing the article. Yep, agree with his points; very neutrally presenting the pros and cons, as it should be. The one who desires the features required can then make the informed choice.

Interesting read. For me, the unerlying message is to use the right tool for the situation ;p Brand doesn't matter. I've used sigma lens on a canon body with an external nikon flash powered by olympus batteries and setup carried around in a fujifilm bag.

:thumbsup: like "All star team" from different "clubs".

I got to agree 100% with what is mentioned in the blog....
Had a tough time shooting in a wedding dinner due to low light condition always.

At one time really thought of changing to 5D mk II but reluctant to leave E3 actually.....I still love the E3 a lot but the only drawback of high ISO noise is really frustrating...

Finally thought the same....keep my E3 and get 5D mkII at the same time...BUT...the real issues now is $$$$$$ :cool::cool::cool:

Even normal olympus zukio len is very sharp. The trick for Olympus is to have plenty of light.

I got to agree 100% with what is mentioned in the blog....
Had a tough time shooting in a wedding dinner due to low light condition always.

At one time really thought of changing to 5D mk II but reluctant to leave E3 actually.....I still love the E3 a lot but the only drawback of high ISO noise is really frustrating...

Finally thought the same....keep my E3 and get 5D mkII at the same time...BUT...the real issues now is $$$$$$ :cool::cool::cool:

Eh....uncle mskong,buy for me 1DsMKIV la since you want to buy 5DMKII :bsmilie: My birthday coming in 2 months :sweatsm:

To me the "The equipment is only as good as it's wielder"

That's fine, but it doesn't settle the inequalities in equipment. A good photographer will find a way to adapt; however, adapting takes time.

I treat my Olympus equipment as if I have a film camera and so, I don't have much of a problem using it, but younger people may not have any film experience and expect the camera to do everything for them. They have no idea how to adapt.

If auto focus and auto exposure broke, would we see a huge number of dSLRs dumped on the side of the road, even by professionals?

That's fine, but it doesn't settle the inequalities in equipment. A good photographer will find a way to adapt; however, adapting takes time.

I treat my Olympus equipment as if I have a film camera and so, I don't have much of a problem using it, but younger people may not have any film experience and expect the camera to do everything for them. They have no idea how to adapt.

That why to me: Shoot More, Learn More. Have heard very often that photographer would comment that their equipment is holding them back. However to me every equipment have it's advantage and disadvantage, it's up to the photographer to work around any limitation of their equipment to archive the outcome that was desire. :)

Last edited: