E-520 original kit lens - focusing issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsQ

Jan 27, 2002
River Valley
Visit site
I was playing with the E-520 (the single lens kit) last week as it was $900ish so found it rather cheap DSLR with so much features..

however, i realized the focus ring has a wide range, so to focus an object i need to keep rotating the focus ring to get it finally focused.. asked the salesman and he say its like that which i find it hard to believe, since it takes so long to manually focus my object.

(later i used the AF/MF combo mode to AF 1st, then MF to my requiremnet)

i am sure there is a setting to enable a faster manual focus rite??

520 users pls enlighten me here, thks :)

actually,that's how kit lens are,that is the case for my standard lenses and 50mm macro

Here's the secret to manual focusing with non-SWD lenses...the focus ring is speed sensitive...if you turn the ring slowly the lens will crawl, like fine focusing...but if you turn the ring quickly the lens position will jump quickly; it's hard to tell this with the newer internally focusing lenses, but with the older kit lenses with externally moving optics you can see the housing move when you do this.

So what you do it spin the ring quickly for coarse adjustment, and then turn the ring slowly for fine adjustment.

ic ic... might try it , but without the similar feel of those found in nikon D60/90 , or canon 450D... it might be a put off eventually ...

but guys.. hows this camera up against say the budget D60 and the more expensive 450D? the Oly 520 sits right almost in the middle of these 2 models...

Here's the secret to manual focusing with non-SWD lenses...the focus ring is speed sensitive...if you turn the ring slowly the lens will crawl, like fine focusing...but if you turn the ring quickly the lens position will jump quickly; it's hard to tell this with the newer internally focusing lenses, but with the older kit lenses with externally moving optics you can see the housing move when you do this.

So what you do it spin the ring quickly for coarse adjustment, and then turn the ring slowly for fine adjustment.

while i was in the toilet, i was thinking about what u say... then this question poped up:

(i use my frens D60 many times.. so use it to compare 'feel')

scenario: u see a kid running across while u hv ur camera on and ready... for Oly E520 case, say u set it in MF only and the focus is way off the object ... will u hv ur camera focused fast enough for that situation??

I think if what u say above that the focus ring is speed sensitive, i fear that u will lose such moment to capture that scene as one might not have the accurate focus in short short time frame.

pls correct me if i am wrong here.. as i find the focus feature of this camera very non-SLR like... and defeat the purpose of hving a fast camera with its MF being so slow responding.

scenario: u see a kid running across while u hv ur camera on and ready... for Oly E520 case, say u set it in MF only and the focus is way off the object ... will u hv ur camera focused fast enough for that situation??

Most likely, you would have pre-focused at the distance of the kid... or just use AF!

Most likely, you would have pre-focused at the distance of the kid... or just use AF!

thats the issue i am in concerned here.. i dont think this camera is suitable for action shots if u want it at full MF... most probably u need to hv AF to assist and then go to MF to adjust from there (via the AF/MF combo mode)... as the AF is much much faster to hv matters in focused compared to the manual focus ring

i believe ppl who shot sceneria/lanscape will be more suitable for this camera..

thats the issue i am in concerned here.. i dont think this camera is suitable for action shots if u want it at full MF... most probably u need to hv AF to assist and then go to MF to adjust from there (via the AF/MF combo mode)... as the AF is much much faster to hv matters in focused compared to the manual focus ring

i believe ppl who shot sceneria/lanscape will be more suitable for this camera..

I think you would have done the same thing with any other camera... even when using the Oly SWD lenses (with its mechanical focus), I don't think I'll use MF in such a scenario.

I think you would have done the same thing with any other camera... even when using the Oly SWD lenses (with its mechanical focus), I don't think I'll use MF in such a scenario.

no leh.. when i use my fren D60.. set MF.. the Focus ring turning range is so narrow so i get to focus very fast

(but tend to over-rotate it since the range is narrower)

anyway, for the Oly E-520, i just want to see was there a feature to "speed up" the focus speed by hving the sensitivity of the focus ring higher... and so far i guess not... but pls correct this if i am wrong..

thks ..

Last edited:
ic ic... might try it , but without the similar feel of those found in nikon D60/90 , or canon 450D... it might be a put off eventually ...

but guys.. hows this camera up against say the budget D60 and the more expensive 450D? the Oly 520 sits right almost in the middle of these 2 models...

What do you mean by this?like specs and shooting?If so,I've used the 400D or 450D before,not sure which because my friends camera is the US version which says rebel,anyway,back to my point,it feels pretty solid and uncomfortable,in fact,a bit too solid to the point i feel that if i should swing that camera into the wall,it will snap clean in half rather than breaking into many pieces,and not as user friendly as E-520,never use the D60 before so cannot really comment about it.As with the focusing,I didn't really care much about the focusing difference between the focus by wire and mechanical for some reason,i just adapted easily.

while i was in the toilet, i was thinking about what u say... then this question poped up:

(i use my frens D60 many times.. so use it to compare 'feel')

I think if what u say above that the focus ring is speed sensitive, i fear that u will lose such moment to capture that scene as one might not have the accurate focus in short short time frame.

pls correct me if i am wrong here.. as i find the focus feature of this camera very non-SLR like... and defeat the purpose of hving a fast camera with its MF being so slow responding.

Actually,i feel that the standard grade lens namely 14-45,14-42,40-150,35,70-300 all have pretty much slow manual focusing,can't comment on 9-18 and 18-180 as i've never had those lens are tried them before,but with the high grade one,they manual focus pretty fast doing what Mike said,and sometimes i'm so bored,i just turn for the fun of turning which probably isn't a good thing to do on the lens and with it,i can focus pretty fast,i think it's more of a matter of getting used to it

no leh.. when i use my fren D60.. set MF.. the Focus ring turning range is so narrow so i get to focus very fast

anyway, for the Oly E-520, i just want to see was there a feature to "speed up" the focus speed by hving the sensitivity of the focus ring higher... and so far i guess not... but pls correct this if i am wrong..

thks ..

As i've said,i guess is just getting used to it,getting to know your camera more and adapting to get around the problem at hand.I've used the Canon and Nikon lens before,and OM lens,i can focus pretty accurate pretty fast,just have to learn to control it properly i guess,i don't know,these are my experiences anyway,most likely differs person to person,hope you can solve this

IMHO, I prefer slow manual focus. I used to shoot with manual lens before, I found that almost all AF lens use to short range of MF ring, which make MF less accurate. Together with the lack of split prism focus screen and smaller view finder, they make MF in digital camera almost useless. So, I use MF when I have time to fine tune, with fast action shot, AF is always there.

while i was in the toilet,

That's TMI, Too Much Information!

As someone who has only had manual focus lenses for decades including shooting auto racing, you prefocus before taking your shots...in this situation I also had my exposure manually set in advance...I had no auto focus, no exposure automation (no A, S, or P modes).

With the Oly however I'll set the focus to manual, and use the AFL button to preset the focus...I'd guess where the action will take place and press the AFL button to preset the focus, and not worry about it from then on, as I would have set my aperture to a point where so many feet in front of and behind the action will also be in focus.

To be honest this is the way I focused my SLR film camera too (for 20 years)...I'd quickly turn the lens in the direction I think the focus should be, then when I've reached it (and usually gone past it slowly go the other direction until it becomes sharp and goes out of focus again, and finally go back slowly in the original direction until the image is sharp.

It's not slow responding, it's just you haven't learned how to take advantage of the way it operates...I suggest you reread what's being said in this thread.

Different lenses have different ranges...for instance the 8mm fisheye is very short because it is so wide. To me having a narrow range is NOT necessarily a good thing, as it's not easy to fine tune. One of my longer manual focus film lenses goes from 20-300ft and requires turning it more than 270 degrees from stop to stop...it requires more work to focus but it also has more control.

Yes, by turning the ring faster or slower.

Have you ever driven a car with an automatic transmission on the highway, and wanted to pass a car? If you push the gas pedal slowly you will only slowly accelerate, but if you push the gas pedal rapidly to the floor the car will shift to a lower gear and rapidly accelerate.

The same thing is happening with the lens, if you turn the lens ring slowly the lens will move slowly and require several turns from stop to stop...but if you turn the lens ring quickly it will jump quickly from stop to stop in less than a turn.

Last edited:
As someone who has only had manual focus lenses for decades including shooting auto racing, you prefocus before taking your shots...in this situation I also had my exposure manually set in advance...I had no auto focus, no exposure automation (no A, S, or P modes).

With the Oly however I'll set the focus to manual, and use the AFL button to preset the focus...I'd guess where the action will take place and press the AFL button to preset the focus, and not worry about it from then on, as I would have set my aperture to a point where so many feet in front of and behind the action will also be in focus.

This is exactly what I've been telling him... but anyway, looks like he's had his mind set about the "slow" MF... to each his own...

This is exactly what I've been telling him... but anyway, looks like he's had his mind set about the "slow" MF... to each his own...

no mind set on anything la, thats why come here ask u all.. i read what u said but didnt quite understand it..

but after reading each and every comment u guys made... now i think i get the hang of the idea (in theory).. i might go back to the shop and give it another try.. .. thks a lot

i guess overall its a different feel from the standard kit lens set fron nikon and canon.. this can be good or bad, depands on user ... but its true with such focusing lens from the e520, u can get a more accurate focus since its allow to fine tuned it slowly..

thks for all u guys details answers.. i think its really useful if anyone hving this issue trying on a olympus DSLR ..

The same thing is happening with the lens, if you turn the lens ring slowly the lens will move slowly and require several turns from stop to stop...but if you turn the lens ring quickly it will jump quickly from stop to stop in less than a turn.

1st of all thks for ur answer.. much appreciate it.. but on the above comment, i like to ask this:

i hv the lens in AF and hv the lens focued on a object ard 5 meter away... then i set it back to MF, then i point at a object nearer.. maybe 1.5meters away..

(btw it seems the standard kit set of E520 focus ring rotation never "ends" rite? as it keeps going n going n going)

Ok then i start rotating the focus ring.. i duuno what wrong i did but i remember rotating it like very long.. maybe 5-6 turns (moderate speed) then only i get the focus right.. is this normal?

the guy in the shop claim its like that, and ask me go use AF to solve the problem.

(btw it seems the standard kit set of E520 focus ring rotation never "ends" rite? as it keeps going n going n going)

That's called "focus by wire"...think of your mouse, you move the mouse which sends a code to the computer to move the pointer...there's no mechanical connection between the mouse and the pointer, it's all electronic. Actually, the mouse on your computer is a good explanation of the lens acceleration as well...you can have the mouse set so it's will crawl, but if you move the mouse quickly the "acceleration" will make the mouse jump across the screen.

Ok then i start rotating the focus ring.. i duuno what wrong i did but i remember rotating it like very long.. maybe 5-6 turns (moderate speed) then only i get the focus right.. is this normal?

The problem is you don't have the camera in front of you...get the camera in front of you and try these things.

Note that this is only the case with non-SWD lenses...SWD lenses have a mechanical coupling, and the same goes with Sigma lenses.

One more benefit of focus by wire is you can change the direction of the ring to turn to infinity...instead of counter clockwise you can set it to clockwise...you can't do that with the mechanical lenses.

the guy in the shop claim its like that, and ask me go use AF to solve the problem.

The problem is the guy in the store doesn't use these cameras...we use them DAILY (or weekly), we've used them for years, we know these cameras inside and out while the store clerk only knows a little bit about a lot of cameras.

I bought a watch last week where you could change the colour of the backlight...I knew this was possible, but the clerk didn't know about it and certainly couldn't tell me how to do it...I found out while playing with the watch that if you held the backlight button in it would change colours.

That's called "focus by wire"...think of your mouse, you move the mouse which sends a code to the computer to move the pointer...there's no mechanical connection between the mouse and the pointer, it's all electronic. Actually, the mouse on your computer is a good explanation of the lens acceleration as well...you can have the mouse set so it's will crawl, but if you move the mouse quickly the "acceleration" will make the mouse jump across the screen.

good analogy

The problem is you don't have the camera in front of you...get the camera in front of you and try these things.

Note that this is only the case with non-SWD lenses...SWD lenses have a mechanical coupling, and the same goes with Sigma lenses.

One more benefit of focus by wire is you can change the direction of the ring to turn to infinity...instead of counter clockwise you can set it to clockwise...you can't do that with the mechanical lenses.

i will try it out when i visit the shop again.. will try to rotate the lens fast fast and see how it react.. haha.. btw the lens attached to the E520 was the standard kit lens..

i am quite amused by olympus dslr actually.. esp these SWD lenses and the four third system

actually TsQ,you live at River Valley,i live at Redhill,if you want,I can meet you to explain and let you try out,except I don't have SWD lenses

actually TsQ,you live at River Valley,i live at Redhill,if you want,I can meet you to explain and let you try out,except I don't have SWD lenses

but i think the std e420 kit package selling now in shops are SWD lens?? ...

thks for ur kinda offer.. its ok la.. dont trouble u.. the non SWD lens in Olymp, how different it works with those i saw in the shops now (those are SWD lens i assume?) ..

Status
Not open for further replies.