E-5 vs. E-1: more work

Sorry to hear that, I'm sure you'll get used to the E-5 soon

That's life, but thanks. When May comes, it will be warm enough to shoot outside regularly, so I'll try to shoot things that will gather little noise. Maybe by then, I'll feel better about other things, also.

恭喜發財!

spidey89 said:

Dear Spidey, i think there is no need to quote TS's entire essay to respond to his grievances. :)

Last edited:

Hmm.... How do I explain... When your shutter speed is not fast enough, it still captures ambient light, so though the flash has "imprinted" the subject onto the sensor, the shutter has yet to close thus ambient light is still falling on the sensor thus creating the ghost, depending on whether its normal sync or rear sync, the ghost will appear in front or behind the subject

An example would be a car, its like, when the car is moving like 200km/h (its just an example), and you need to brake, the time it takes to step on the brake takes less than a sec, that's like our flash, but just because our brake is immediately engaged, doesn't mean the car will stop then and there, it will skid, when it skids, its like our ghost, doesn't really makes sense, but that's the best explanation I can come out with at the moment

Normally when you use flash and the subject isn't moving like taking a portrait, the subject will be pin sharp, but since this is moving, if your flash duration isn't short enough as well, the subject will not be short

Found a video I've watched before, this is as close as I can find regarding what I was saying, check out first and rear curtain sync nearing to the back, happens with slow shutter, hopefully this will help you understand what I meant

Ah ok i get what you mean. in other words he is getting ambient exposure and flash exposure. THanks!

Ah ok i get what you mean. in other words he is getting ambient exposure and flash exposure. THanks!

Yup, else, it'll be pretty much bright foreground and then the subject floating in a sea of darkness

I know I'm a little late on this, but I'll just give my 2 cents' worth. Being a 2 or 3 month-old owner of the E-5 and a 3-year owner of a E-520, I'll say the noise at ISO1600 is acceptable. In fact, the ISO performance is way better than the E-520 in aspects. I've made taken test shots of the same subject at different ISO levels and unless I pixel-peep, ISO1600 still works for me. Whereas when it comes to my E-520, ISO800 already leans towards unacceptable unless well lighted. DR was bad too (Not forgetting the E-500 which was worse). I am very glad for the E-5 as the noise is much better controlled. That and the resolved details. Try pixel-peeping at a shot of a weaved polo-tee. It's just amazing.

Personally, its a case of coke vs pepsi, on paper, some prefer coke, some prefer pepsi, is the image right in B&W, or in colour, so even if the ISO1600 is acceptable to you, it may not be to others, don't take it personally, I personally am happy with the E-3's ISO1600

Sorry I find that the photos are just not focused properly. The speed is too low.

To me the performance betw E1 and E5 is clearly light and day. Of cuz i still prefer the ergonomics of the E1 but in terms of getting the shot, the E5 is clearly better.

Anyway just to add, i think that the newer PENS with good primes do rival the E5 for image quality. I compared the EP3/12f2 with E5/12-60, the EP3 looked better. If u are not a burst shooter (and I am not bec i find one shot predictive releases are more accurate in catching the moment ie 5 fps still not fast enuff), i think EP3 can shoot swim meets easy.

Sorry I find that the photos are just not focused properly. The speed is too low.

Thanks, but I'm less concerned about the focus for now. It will come, and it's not worse than the auto focus was doing. It's about getting the right rhythm with the swimmers and both are coming along.

The problem is with the image quality from the body and I can't seem to change that. The E-5 seems to be worse in low light than the E-1 was, for me. That's why I was asking people for help.

To me the performance betw E1 and E5 is clearly light and day. Of cuz i still prefer the ergonomics of the E1 but in terms of getting the shot, the E5 is clearly better.

Anyway just to add, i think that the newer PENS with good primes do rival the E5 for image quality. I compared the EP3/12f2 with E5/12-60, the EP3 looked better. If u are not a burst shooter (and I am not bec i find one shot predictive releases are more accurate in catching the moment ie 5 fps still not fast enuff), i think EP3 can shoot swim meets easy.

Well, you certainly have an interesting view. Getting the shot isn't the problem. It's the quality of the image that isn't better in low light than the E-1 was, for me. I tried a single image in Olympus Viewer to see if there was a problem with Capture One and Olympus Viewer made the photo look worse--softer and noisier. :(

bousozoku said:
Thanks, but I'm less concerned about the focus for now. It will come, and it's not worse than the auto focus was doing. It's about getting the right rhythm with the swimmers and both are coming along.

The problem is with the image quality from the body and I can't seem to change that. The E-5 seems to be worse in low light than the E-1 was, for me. That's why I was asking people for help.

Well, you certainly have an interesting view. Getting the shot isn't the problem. It's the quality of the image that isn't better in low light than the E-1 was, for me. I tried a single image in Olympus Viewer to see if there was a problem with Capture One and Olympus Viewer made the photo look worse--softer and noisier. :(

Very interesting that u say low light IQ of E5 is not better than E1. Spidey?

If that is the case, i shd use my E1 a lot more but I am not. Oh btw, viewer sucks. You wld think original manufacturer software is best, but its not. You should use LR3.

Last edited:
Very interesting that u say low light IQ of E5 is not better than E1. Spidey?

If that is the case, i shd use my E1 a lot more but I am not. Oh btw, viewer sucks. You wld think original manufacturer software is best, but its not. You should use LR3.

I shot probably thousands of high school wrestling photos in dark gyms, usually watching 4 mats at a time, over 3 years and from the start, never had such issues as I'm having with the E-5. The main problem with the E-1 was that getting accurate exposure in extreme low light was difficult. I hope that I will find some good compromise with settings on the E-5 so that I'm not so frustrated.

Hi Bousozoku,

So sorry to hear about your Mum and Uncle, but when you mentioned: I had trouble shooting a cross-country meet with the E-1 when my mum was walking all over the place and I was trying to keep her out of the runners' path, what do you mean?

You still see her till today?

Last edited:
Hi Bousozoku,

So sorry to hear about your Mum and Uncle, but when you mentioned: I had trouble shooting a cross-country meet with the E-1 when my mum was walking all over the place and I was trying to keep her out of the runners' path, what do you mean?

You still see her till today?

Thanks.

It was a meet in 2009, not long after my dad died. We went to see my cousin run and she was walking all over the place, including on the course. I tried to keep her out of the way, but she wouldn't listen. :bsmilie: