Dxomark of GX7

Agrivar

Oct 25, 2010
Singapore

The GX7 is very close to the sensors in the GH3 and EP5. But high Iso still lags the other 2.

http://flic.kr/p/gFSzG8 The GX7 is very close to the sensors in the GH3 and EP5. But high Iso still lags the other 2.

Kinda surprised by the relatively large lag for GX7's high ISO behind GH3 and EP5 by numerical score.

There was a difference I didn't feel that it was such a big diff when I tried the GX7 against the EP5. Never tried the GH3 but I've heard nothing bad abt the GH3 so far and to me the GH3 has always been the one the video users went for.

Last edited:
Kinda surprised by the relatively large lag for GX7's high ISO behind GH3 and EP5 by numerical score. There was a difference I didn't feel that it was such a big diff when I tried the GX7 against the EP5. Never tried the GH3 but I've heard nothing bad abt the GH3 so far and to me the GH3 has always been the one the video users went for.

Yep. Dxomark is always hotly debated as it may/may not reflect real world usage.

Yep. Dxomark is always hotly debated as it may/may not reflect real world usage.

Thanks for the sharing but ya, I do agree with the review results haha, just that was surprised by the significantly large diff in numbers for ISO : Sports.

Maybe some issues with noise control is the reason why they limited bulb mode to 2 mins on the GX7 , I'm just guessing here.

Overall score diff by a few points with EP5 leading slightly is still very aligned to all the other reviews out there.

Last edited:

Panasonic disagrees with this though ha, internal tests shows results better than GH3 for high ISO :/

I have epl5 and em5 and gf5. I think I agree. Panny does not do so well OOC for high iso low light shots. Noisy and colours not pleasing to me.

Thanks for the sharing but ya, I do agree with the review results haha, just that was surprised by the significantly large diff in numbers for ISO : Sports.

Maybe some issues with noise control is the reason why they limited bulb mode to 2 mins on the GX7 , I'm just guessing here.

Overall score diff by a few points with EP5 leading slightly is still very aligned to all the other reviews out there.

I'm quite disappointed in the noise and long exposure issue too. Wanted the wideness from the Pana 7-14mm but this lens has problems with the new Oly bodies. Oh well... :\

I'm quite disappointed in the noise and long exposure issue too. Wanted the wideness from the Pana 7-14mm but this lens has problems with the new Oly bodies. Oh well... :\

mind sharing the issues of the 7-14 with the newer Oly bodies? I'm curious as I'm planning to take the 7-14 on a trip with either the EP5 or EM5.
thank you!

mind sharing the issues of the 7-14 with the newer Oly bodies? I'm curious as I'm planning to take the 7-14 on a trip with either the EP5 or EM5.
thank you!

The purple orb/flare issue with the Oly bodies.

Kinda surprised by the relatively large lag for GX7's high ISO behind GH3 and EP5 by numerical score.

There was a difference I didn't feel that it was such a big diff when I tried the GX7 against the EP5. Never tried the GH3 but I've heard nothing bad abt the GH3 so far and to me the GH3 has always been the one the video users went for.

It's only "1/2 -1/3" stop difference!

The key take away is that both cameras are nearly equal, and quite frankly, judging by raws, the sensor noise remains rather high. THe only really discernible difference is that Olympus' jpeg processing when it comes to noise reduction is slightly better.

It's only "1/2 -1/3" stop difference! The key take away is that both cameras are nearly equal, and quite frankly, judging by raws, the sensor noise remains rather high. THe only really discernible difference is that Olympus' jpeg processing when it comes to noise reduction is slightly better.

Erm , yes ? Similar to what oly5050 and what I said coming to noise.

What I said was the large numerical diff came as a surprise to me.

Erm , yes ? Similar to what oly5050 and what I said coming to noise.

What I said was the large numerical diff came as a surprise to me.

The scale is logarithmic.... You can't just judge by the numbers....

The scale is logarithmic.... You can't just judge by the numbers....

:) k , I'm learning. Can explain to me what's the correlation of the small diff in stops to such a large numerical difference ? Good to know as I've never been good at the technical graph reading stuff coming to cameras.

Last edited:
:) k , I'm learning. Can explain to me what's the correlation of the small diff in stops to such a large numerical difference ? Good to know as I've never been good at the technical graph reading stuff coming to cameras.

Well, originally we take ISO100 as the base ISO, and ISO200 would be an additional stop (or twice the electronic gain/sensitivity), and ISO400 another stop, 800, 1600 etc. So if you see how DXOmark describes it, it isn't too far off. Yes, the sensor isn't as good as the Olympus one, but honestly, the difference is very small.

It's only "1/2 -1/3" stop difference!

Since 1 stop is between 800 and 1600, shouldn't the difference of 177 between GX7 and EP5, translate to an even smaller 1/4 stop

1600-800 = 800
177/800 = .22

I have the EM5 too and the difference is completely negligible. However, the GX7 focuses faster than the EM5 in very low light!