DVD Recorder: Advise needed, please..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamestan

Aug 16, 2004
Singapore
I am contemplating an getting a DVD recorder. Just went to Raffles City and was tempted to get the Sharp one at Harvey Norman, cos price is good (699) with 80GB HDD. Salesman say the DVD format is (-R) and hence can play on any newer players. I know there are many brands out there. Read that someone has a bit of problems with the LG one.

Can someone advise which to get? Thinking of this Sharp one or Pioneer or Panasonic or... Need to be able to play on other players.

Thanks...

dunno about the latest model, but i bought 1 Philips one with HDD for my parents, they just love it, simple to use, and with a time lapse feature, which is while watching the file on the dvd recorder, you can record the show on tv, or when u are watching the tv, and wanted to go to get a drink or watever, you can pause the 'live' tv and then resume later.

Thanks... Any more advise???? Keep it coming...

Hi James, do you know the model number of the $699 Sharp ? Sounds like a great price, I thought they were in the $1000 range (the ones with HDD).

ericp said:
Hi James, do you know the model number of the $699 Sharp ? Sounds like a great price, I thought they were in the $1000 range (the ones with HDD).

oops, no. But saw it at the HN in City hall. It used to be 899 according to the sales person.

At 699, with extended warranty of 5 years, works out to be 809. Still good buy. At least assured to last 5 years...

Thanks for that, I went snooping as well, I think model number is HR300 or something like that. Good price, I'm quite tempted, no need to buy videotapes anymore to record tv programs. All others seem to be around the $900-1000+ range.

ericp said:
Thanks for that, I went snooping as well, I think model number is HR300 or something like that. Good price, I'm quite tempted, no need to buy videotapes anymore to record tv programs. All others seem to be around the $900-1000+ range.

So you buying? I will be this weekend. Did you manage to see how many sets left?

IMO, should buy one that support (DVD + and - R/RW) both format cos' if any friends' DVD players cannot playback one of them, you can still burn one or the other and pass him the formats that he can can playback.

I may buy as early as today, I went to HN Suntec City on Sunday as I happened to be there with a friend, still got a quite a few, I think. Didn't have time to check out the competitors (Courts, Best, etc) ... did go to a neighbourhood shop, which used to give good deals, but quoted $790 (and the guy didn't seem interested in selling, perhaps because no stock on hand and he'd rather move the plasma tvs that he has sitting in the shop :D ).

Not worried about formats because it's mainly to record TV programs for watching later, and must have HDD due to that.

Truth be told, I normally do a fair bit of research before buying these things, but very little free time these days, and as it's a decent price, may just grab.

tim said:
IMO, should buy one that support (DVD + and - R/RW) both format cos' if any friends' DVD players cannot playback one of them, you can still burn one or the other and pass him the formats that he can can playback.

Agree. But according to the sales man, the -R/RW is the more common version than even the ROM.

Cam someone verify?

ericp said:
I may buy as early as today, I went to HN Suntec City on Sunday as I happened to be there with a friend, still got a quite a few, I think. Didn't have time to check out the competitors (Courts, Best, etc) ... did go to a neighbourhood shop, which used to give good deals, but quoted $790 (and the guy didn't seem interested in selling, perhaps because no stock on hand and he'd rather move the plasma tvs that he has sitting in the shop :D ).

Not worried about formats because it's mainly to record TV programs for watching later, and must have HDD due to that.

Truth be told, I normally do a fair bit of research before buying these things, but very little free time these days, and as it's a decent price, may just grab.

Good... Buy test and let me know, OK? Cos I'm only free coming Monday.

Ok, the "buy buy buy" bug bit (does that qualify for a tongue twister ? ;) )

... just bought it with +2 years of extended warranty (mainly due to the hard disk, most of my HDD fail within 3 years), total is $699 + $60. But will have little time for testing as I'm travelling for work, though should be able to post a "user report" by next week.

They only have 2 left (after I bought mine) at HN Suntec, not sure how many at other stores. Can't find any other equivalents for similar prices, I still feel $1k+ is a bit much to pay for a DVD recorder + HDD. A Sony sitting next to it was going for $1499.

Well, I bought the LG DR6621W a week or so ago. It's retailing at $459, but street price is a lot less. I was lucky enough to buy a brand new set thru Yahoo! Auctions at <$400. : )

It's pretty easy to use, and great thing is that it's compatible with both DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW. No HDD though and no card slot. But has analog & iLink inputs (have just bought the Firewire cable and will try duping from DV this weekend).

The video recording quality is pretty okay -- at 1 hr setting, it's as clear as the source. At 2 hrs setting, it's still better than VHS. At 3 hrs, lots of compressions artifacts.

In all, for the price I paid, I'm pretty happy with the set.

Cheers!

MW

ericp said:
Ok, the "buy buy buy" bug bit (does that qualify for a tongue twister ? ;) )

... just bought it with +2 years of extended warranty (mainly due to the hard disk, most of my HDD fail within 3 years), total is $699 + $60. But will have little time for testing as I'm travelling for work, though should be able to post a "user report" by next week.

They only have 2 left (after I bought mine) at HN Suntec, not sure how many at other stores. Can't find any other equivalents for similar prices, I still feel $1k+ is a bit much to pay for a DVD recorder + HDD. A Sony sitting next to it was going for $1499.

OK... I better hurry. Will find time this weekend to go down...

munwei said:
Well, I bought the LG DR6621W a week or so ago. It's retailing at $459, but street price is a lot less. I was lucky enough to buy a brand new set thru Yahoo! Auctions at <$400. : )

It's pretty easy to use, and great thing is that it's compatible with both DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW. No HDD though and no card slot. But has analog & iLink inputs (have just bought the Firewire cable and will try duping from DV this weekend).

The video recording quality is pretty okay -- at 1 hr setting, it's as clear as the source. At 2 hrs setting, it's still better than VHS. At 3 hrs, lots of compressions artifacts.

In all, for the price I paid, I'm pretty happy with the set.

Cheers!

MW

You have no problems with your LG set? Can it burn DVD in -R format?

jamestan said:
Agree. But according to the sales man, the -R/RW is the more common version than even the ROM.

Cam someone verify?

Not true, both -/+ media are common in Funan, Sim Lim, Best Denki....... etc. I also have the LG too. Just like (PC) DVD burner, everyone only buys both format type, single format type is not sellable or rare.

Quick review (had to set it up before I travelled, so that I could record programs while I'm away !) ...

Solid heft, unlike a lot of the lightweight devices today, heavy and reasonably confusing manual (things are confusing at first read, but as you start playing with the device, and re-read again, it all falls into place).

In "brain off" mode, just plug the thing in, hook up your TV, and first thing you see is a setup screen. Just remember to set the system to B/G for Singapore, and it'll auto-detect all channels etc.

The remote control is not that sensitive, so you have to be patient ... press a key, and wait about a second or two for the device to respond to some requests.

All in all, took me about 30 minutes of mucking around and I managed to do some tests, and set up several scheduled recordings. Quality (on Fine & SP) is pretty good, mirroring the live broadcast. DVD playback's pretty good as well, tested on LOTR:ROTK.

No more mucking around with VHS tapes :) ...

OK... Buying liao... Thanks for good feedback..

Status
Not open for further replies.