Durability of D90 in cold or extreme cold weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

ettk75

Nov 30, 2008
Sengkang
Hi all,

Wonder anybody can advise me about the durability of D90 in cold weather. Can it used when snowing i.e. minus zero degree C? What is the lowest temperature it can endure through and not affecting its functionality or even the physical body in view of the cold weather?

Please advise.

Thanks....:dunno:

let us see...

the photographers in cold countries don't seem to be able to take photographs without super pro things to help.

that's why you always see so many photos of snow.

the only thing you need to worry about is condensation. this has been said, over and over again.

Hi all,

Wonder anybody can advise me about the durability of D90 in cold weather. Can it used when snowing i.e. minus zero degree C? What is the lowest temperature it can endure through and not affecting its functionality or even the physical body in view of the cold weather?

Please advise.

Two things to worry, battery lifes and condensation. Do a check, lots of writeups on this topic.

Was using a D40 years ago in knee deep snow in Takayama, Japan with snowflakes falling... no issues. I mean, your D90 is newer technology and a different class camera compared to the D40 so should not be a problem.

Just like what the others say though, beware of condensation when moving from very cold to warm place....
Try not to change lenses out in the snow too.
If you using zoom lens, be careful when you "zoom" (make sure no moisture or snow flake on any moving parts on your lens barrel when you "zoom" or you might just allow moisture in....

Hi all,

Please advise.

The spec says 0-40 celsius.

Thanks to all for your advices....

I know D90 is not weather-seal, unlike D300 onwards. That's I wanna find out more. I have read those threads about this topic but seems to be quite troublesome if to use D90 out there.

Hopefully can upgrade to D300s soon.;p

Other than the battery lifespan when shooting in sub zero temperature, its actually ok to shoot in cold weather though it says the operating temperature to be above 0 degrees. I took my old P&S to Korea last year in December and i was shooting happily under heavy snowing condition (coldest was minus 8 degrees on one day). No problems at all. Just remember to keep your camera dry...

My D70 experienced -5 degrees, in the snow. No issues.

these cams are designed and developed by people who live in snow countries (Japan). They should be OK.

I am using D60, I guess will be ok :sweat:
I will be in Europe in 3 weeks time.... there will be 1 or 2 day in sub-zero condition.
I hope it will work fine....... I am looking to buy 3rd battery pack for this trip. Just wonder 3 battery is it enough??

Come on guys, you talk about cold weather when just few degrees below zero :cool:. There are no concerns to my long experience. I have taken shots in -25C. When temperature gets lower air gets drier, too. Humidity can be much less than in your dry box.

Condensation is there which means that you cannot take shots in couple of minutes when you go outdoors or get in, means you need to wait until camera starts to reach the same temperature. Air indoors is very dry due to heating, too.

What you must keep in mind is battery level of which goes low much much faster. Reason I plan to add one more battery for my next trip in December. Falling snow in cold doesn't make your camera wet once its temperature has been adjusted to air temperature. It doesn't stick to any surfaces in camera or lense or cause any harm in zoom. If you shoot I would safely say -2 or higher, then you must be concerned on snow as it gets wet. Then the same applies than shooting in rain.

Lokomotive is right.

-5 or -8 deg C is nothing. Even in big city Shanghai, it can hit these temperatures on colder nights.

I've been in northeast china at the borders of russia and north korea and the temperature there is -10 deg C on a GOOD NICE SUNNY day. At night and in cloudy weather or with the cold front coming in, it can hit -25 to -30 deg C. You have more things to worry about than your camera (e.g. worry about your ears freezing and dropping off).

Last edited:
You have more things to worry about than your camera (e.g. worry about your ears freezing and dropping off).
:bsmilie:.

This is very much true even you made my day with your comment. How to dress up and how to protect your fingers and still be able to shoot when we go extreme. Try to touch your camera in -25 or so with your fingers...I tell it is cold, I mean really cold. You must wear such gloves to be able still push the button or zoom. When zero or -2 you can shoot for a while without gloves as it is so mild still.

Sorry to come back to same topic again but one thing came to my mind. Do you know how we dried our laundry in winter long back when no drier. We hung all wet clothes, bedsheets etc. out of doors when even -30. Day later we collected them and took in the house and in an hour or so they were dry as air outdoor is so dry when cold to dry most of frozen water out of clothes.

Ah-ha, been there, done that in northern Sweden early this year.

-20 degrees Celsius or so.

No problems taking photos, and battery life was in fact above expectations still. The only hard part is operating the controls through your thick gloves (thick Thinsulate ones, mind you). I followed the procedure to put the bag in a ziploc bag as I entered into the warmer environments to prevent condensation.

Ah-ha, been there, done that in northern Sweden early this year.

-20 degrees Celsius or so.

No problems taking photos, and battery life was in fact above expectations still. The only hard part is operating the controls through your thick gloves (thick Thinsulate ones, mind you). I followed the procedure to put the bag in a ziploc bag as I entered into the warmer environments to prevent condensation.

u mean put the whole camera bag into a ziploc bag? or just the camera?
don't do these will get condensation?

based in USA now, batt def drains faster, i'd reckon 20% faster in -5 deg C

based in USA now, batt def drains faster, i'd reckon 20% faster in -5 deg C

I think I better go get my 3rd battery ASAP......
which part of US is -5 deg now?

u mean put the whole camera bag into a ziploc bag? or just the camera?
don't do these will get condensation?
Only the camera...

That wsa on the advice of other people too, so I didn't really test *not* putting it in at least a ziploc bag...

Status
Not open for further replies.