DSLR vs Prosumer Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesmondLeong

Aug 2, 2005
Woodlands
What is the difference between DSLR & Prosumer Camera
on Shutter Count and Software Upgrade ?

The difference only in shutter count and software? I think for software, it is as different as the model is different. For shutter count... as far as I know, prosumer do not have real shutter (no sound). It has something like a movie camera that translate everything into your LCD and when you press the "shutter", it just records whatever is on the LCD. This is also why DSLR cannot preview before you take the photo (and also no video). This is my observation so I could be wrong.

DSLR has a mechanical shutter which has a specific lifetime and would "die" due to wear and tear. This could be replaced by the manufacturer. Within warranty, it's usually free.

If you mean firmware update, some DSLRs (e.g. from Canon) support easy update of the firmware by the users.

Sensor size and image quality...

Don't really need to worry about shutter count. There's this guy who shoots around 6000 shots per day for more than two years without having to replace his shutter. (There was even oil found on the mirror...;) ;) )

Firmware update is only related to DSLR not Prosumer Camera ?

mpenza said:
DSLR has a mechanical shutter which has a specific lifetime and would "die" due to wear and tear. This could be replaced by the manufacturer. Within warranty, it's usually free.

If you mean firmware update, some DSLRs (e.g. from Canon) support easy update of the firmware by the users.

DesmondLeong said:
All cameras have firmware updates (when released by the manufacturers).

DesmondLeong said:
That is not true! any CPU based electronic with firmware upgradabled can have firmware update. Be it PDA (O2 mini), Wireless accesspoint (linksys) and an example of prosumer camera is Panasonic FZ1, mine was upgraded to FZ2 firmware.

poh6702 said:
That is not true! any CPU based electronic with firmware upgradabled can have firmware update. Be it PDA (O2 mini), Wireless accesspoint (linksys) and an example of prosumer camera is Panasonic FZ1, mine was upgraded to FZ2 firmware.

Eh your illustration on the last point from FZ1 -> FZ2 might be a bit misleading for the thread starter :sweat:

+evenstar said:
Sensor size and image quality...

Don't really need to worry about shutter count. There's this guy who shoots around 6000 shots per day for more than two years without having to replace his shutter. (There was even oil found on the mirror...;) ;) )

6000 x 2yrs x 365days= 4 380 000

wow! who is this guy?

thot th record goes to a nikon f5 user with
a 165k plus shutter count w/o servicing?

6000 shots per day means w/o eat sleep **** then 3 frames per minute,
must be another record too.

judeseah said:
6000 x 2yrs x 365days= 4 380 000

wow! who is this guy?

thot th record goes to a nikon f5 user with
a 165k plus shutter count w/o servicing?

6000 shots per day means w/o eat sleep **** then 3 frames per minute,
must be another record too.
Wow, please check whether is this guy having extra big index finger? With 6000 clicks a day for 2 years, that is hell lots of finger exercise!!!!:bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.