DSLR vs PnS

Status
Not open for further replies.

james

Jul 24, 2004
Hi, everybody.
I am in a dilemma in choosing between DSLR and PnS. I have used both of them. What I am saying it that due to the bulkiness of DSLR it makes me feel:
1) insecured because I need to guard the camera most of the time especially when I am travelling in 3rd world countries alone
2) attract more attention
3) quite tiring in travelling especially during backpacking
4) extra care, as we need to take care of so many accessories
5) most people have misconception that those holding DSLR are pro and pns are tourist

*And sometime I do think that because of the influence of the advertisements, I think we can categorize some photographers into 2:
i) those superb in equipment
ii) those superb in taking photos

For a compact PnS, I just put it in my pocket and I have more movability.

I do see some photographers using DSLR producing exactly what a PnS can produce. And I do see some photographers using PnS producing some very amazing photos. What do you think?

It really depends on what you want to capture with your DSLR or PnS. I used to shoot film and upgraded on to PnS and then to Prosumer PnS and to DSLR. I wanted to capture low light shots and the PnS could not achieve what I wanted.

I am the type who does not use the flash if I can help it. Get more natural colors.

Of course if you want a "traveling" cam, there are lots of PnS, but you need to know what you want first.

Get a proper bag so that you can store all the equipment in. If you choose a DSLR, select a lens that can be used as the all rounder, like the kit lens that comes together when you buy the DLSR. Saying this, there are PnS that can achieve the same range as the kit lens of the DSLR but quility wise depends on many things.

Welcome to the world of photography

I own both a DSLR and a PnS camera... and depending on the kind of trip I am taking... I will choose which camera to bring (and if it is the DSLR, I also got to choose which lens to bring). If I am on a trip mainly to shoot pictures... it goes without saying that I would bring a DSLR+lenses... but if I am on business and if I have some time in between to do some shooting, I'll bring the PnS.

Comparing my DSLR and PnS, the quality of the picture is very different... and obviously the quality of the PnS picture is inferior to the DSLR. You have mentioned some pro's and cons already... and here are some additional areas where they differ for your consideration...

- PnS cannot achieve much of a shallow DOF even though it is a relative f/2.7 aperture. The best shallow DOF is achieved using the macro mode in the PnS.

- The color rendition of the PnS is not as good as the DSLR.

- The usable ISO of the PnS is up to 400, and anything higher would incur more grain in the pic.

- Focusing is slower on a PnS.

- Shutter lag on a PnS.

- The lens on a PnS is not as good (in terms of flare, CA, distortion, etc.) and affects the picture quality.

Having said all this... the picture composition is very important in a picture... and you can have a DSLR and dunno how to compose a picture, but another person with a PnS knows how to compose a picture... and the picture of the guy with the PnS would come out more attractive. Some technicalities to composition techniques would not be available as extensively to a PnS camera, e.g. shutter speed, shallow DOF, etc... but you can still take wonderful pictures with a PnS.

To the TS,
Do you feel limited by a PnS?
Can you take better photos with a DSLR?
How important is the photo quality from your travels?

I do see some photographers using DSLR producing exactly what a PnS can produce. And I do see some photographers using PnS producing some very amazing photos. What do you think?

There are also many situations where a PnS cannot give the kind of images which a DSLR can offer, especially shallow DoF shots. It's all up to you what you shoot and how you want your images to be, then you'll know what kind of equipment you need.

Frankly, to a large extent, the photographer would determine the quality of the photos. Get a PnS.. u'll find it more than suffice at this moment.

Hi, Felix, thanks for your advice. I think that is a road a newbie should take. Btw, I knew someone with the similar nick last time, just asking, you have any idea about KE7?:sweatsm:

Thanks, Gerald. Exactly!. And that is why I am in a dilemma. Would like the versatility of PnS but do not want the bulkiness of DSLR and do not want the entry level DSLR. Your points should be taken as reference for newbies to consider before getting into any of that.

Agreed!

Agreed, it depends on situation

Ah.... after reading all the posts, finally I know what I should do already!!!!
Thanks!
Happy shooting!

DSLR's image quality is one level up of PnS. Once you get a taste of beautiful photos, you probably won't want to shot with PnS whenever possible.

Just take a look at some of the photos in the gallery on this forum, both taken with PnS and DSLR to compare.

I bring both DSLR and PnS to my holiday overseas. The PnS is for backup only.

Hi, everybody.
I am in a dilemma in choosing between DSLR and PnS. I have used both of them. What I am saying it that due to the bulkiness of DSLR it makes me feel:
1) insecured because I need to guard the camera most of the time especially when I am travelling in 3rd world countries alone
2) attract more attention
3) quite tiring in travelling especially during backpacking
4) extra care, as we need to take care of so many accessories
5) most people have misconception that those holding DSLR are pro and pns are tourist

*And sometime I do think that because of the influence of the advertisements, I think we can categorize some photographers into 2:
i) those superb in equipment
ii) those superb in taking photos

For a compact PnS, I just put it in my pocket and I have more movability.

nonamene6.jpg

dont worry, there is a dslr for every style and preference just that need the patience and perhaps the budget for it. I personally know friends who have simple and outdated compact digital cameras who spend time editing before printing and the output is a lot more impressive then unedited dslr photos.

Maybe you want to take up photoshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.