DSLR vs DSLT

jackaltan

Aug 24, 2010
What's the real difference? Each has its own good? Mirror better or translucent mirror better?Any discussion abt this before?

Last edited:
sure there are differences, remember saw some discussion in Sony forum here.
DSLR OVF is better than DSLT EVF

DLST has the best video focusing speed for DSLR camera at the moment.

DSLT is lighter and smaller, grip may be too small to some, but loss 1/3 of light, so ISO noise will be slightly higher than DSLR.

DSLT use up battery faster.

DSLT don't have mirror flipping noise.

Extensive, massive discussions all over the Sony forum and all over the internet. Now, comparing the Sony DSLR A580 to the SLT A55:

In summary:

DSLT has:
1. No mirror slap (both the vibrations and the noise)
2. faster FPS as the mirror does not need to be lifted out of the way
3. The ability to continuously autofocus using faster phase detect in video as well as live view
4. The A55 also has built-in GPS
5. An EVF that can immediately show you the effects of aperture, whitebalance, etc changes as well as tilt/level horizon

DSLR has:
1. An OVF
2. Erm. That's mainly it - aside form that, the A55 and A580 are similar in terms of fast AF in live view, built-in SSS, articulating LCD, etc.

I wonder how long will it take for canon to come up with a DSLT.. or nikon.. :think:

nikon is really working on a SLT.

I wonder how long will it take for canon to come up with a DSLT.. or nikon.. :think:

tot canon fanboys flame down sony's DSLT with ghosting effect etc etc.. i dont think they would be happy with canon releasing DSLTs.. :)

Canon had a SLT-like camera years back, like 45 years ago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_Pellix).
They abandoned it as the use of a pellicle mirror resulted in a much dimmer VF (lose around 1/3 to 2/3 stops of light) and faster, more reliable reflex mirror mechanisms became more readily available.

Sony's approach uses an EVF to resolve the dim VF problem.

i can almost imagine a Full Frame DSLT. that would be mouth watering.

tot canon fanboys flame down sony's DSLT with ghosting effect etc etc.. i dont think they would be happy with canon releasing DSLTs.. :)

I would love it if canon can come up with something like that and i dun have to lug a bulky dslr .

In any case fanboyism is contagious, every product will get flamed once a while. it is part of a product cycle

ryan

SLT did not catch on due to two main reasons:

1. Dim optical view finder. Solved by Sony using a EVF. But some people still prefer optical view finder.

2. Can't clean dust on sensor because the mirror/prism is non-movable.

EVF is getting better each day. SO if there is a way to clean dust from the sensor, SLT will be a winner.

SLT did not catch on due to two main reasons:

1. Dim optical view finder. Solved by Sony using a EVF. But some people still prefer optical view finder.

2. Can't clean dust on sensor because the mirror/prism is non-movable.

EVF is getting better each day. SO if there is a way to clean dust from the sensor, SLT will be a winner.
for 2, Sony SLT (A33 or A55) mirror are both movable for dust cleaning.

EVF takes up too much battery juice.. hope new SLTs be it by whatever brand can make battery life better..