Dslr usage for video and still photos

chocnoodles

Feb 9, 2010
hi all, was pondering regarding the usage of a dslr. Shutter count measures the expectancy of the shutter. For video, afaik, there isn't a 'video count' for it.

My question is, assuming someone uses the dslr heavily for video and significantly lesser for still photos, the amount of 'wear and tear' on the sensor may equate to another user who has say taken 100,000 still photos?

For SC, based on manufacturer's info, it can last for 100k for most canon dslrs (except the high end ones). Thats when the shutter mechanism gives way. But no mention of the sensor failing.

Any idea anyone?

Wear and tear on sensor? :bigeyes: Now it's getting esoteric ..

This is what I believe:

Wear and tear is caused by mechanical friction over time (no matter how smooth or well maintained it is), so a material eventually fails after enough material has been shed and/or micro-cracks start to emerge and propagate under high-stress situation. It is also greatly affected my material fatigue (cyclic stress loading causes a material to fail as well - very technical mechanical stuff). Seeing how fast a shutter moves during operation, it is pretty much subjected to very high stresses and cyclic loading. And that is how your shutter dies eventually.

Sensors, on the other hand, has no mechanical relation and thus, no wear and tear. It is electrically-functioning and thus a prolonged use would raise the temperature of the sensor but since most cameras have auto-switch off function when the sensor gets hot, it solves the problem. There is such a thing called thermal cyclic loading fatigue. Like the mechanical version, it will take like a few hundred thousand cycles for it to break and it has to be very fast alternating temperatures within a very short period of time - not quite applicable to DSLRs.

So, it would probably take a whole lot of effort (very very very x123123123 hard to actually destroy a sensor by usage even in video mode). It is almost impossible to do so and thus prob thats why the manufacturers simply disregard it.

Well, that is what I think so it might not be 100% correct =)

So there you have it =)

This is what I believe:

Wear and tear is caused by mechanical friction over time (no matter how smooth or well maintained it is), so a material eventually fails after enough material has been shed and/or micro-cracks start to emerge and propagate under high-stress situation. It is also greatly affected my material fatigue (cyclic stress loading causes a material to fail as well - very technical mechanical stuff). Seeing how fast a shutter moves during operation, it is pretty much subjected to very high stresses and cyclic loading. And that is how your shutter dies eventually.

Sensors, on the other hand, has no mechanical relation and thus, no wear and tear. It is electrically-functioning and thus a prolonged use would raise the temperature of the sensor but since most cameras have auto-switch off function when the sensor gets hot, it solves the problem. There is such a thing called thermal cyclic loading fatigue. Like the mechanical version, it will take like a few hundred thousand cycles for it to break and it has to be very fast alternating temperatures within a very short period of time - not quite applicable to DSLRs.

So, it would probably take a whole lot of effort (very very very x123123123 hard to actually destroy a sensor by usage even in video mode). It is almost impossible to do so and thus prob thats why the manufacturers simply disregard it.

Well, that is what I think so it might not be 100% correct =)

So there you have it =)

Thanks for the clarification. Was concerned as I am using my old dslr for some videos lately and I did get some warning about the temperature getting high after about 40 mins of continuous recording. Just didn't want to bust the cam if I am stretching it abit too far with the videos. :)

Thanks for the clarification. Was concerned as I am using my old dslr for some videos lately and I did get some warning about the temperature getting high after about 40 mins of continuous recording. Just didn't want to bust the cam if I am stretching it abit too far with the videos. :)
DSLR is not design for recording long clips, if you need to record long clip, get a video cam instead.

and btw, we don't like to see a clip last than a couple of minute, will bored to death if the scene don't change and the content is not interesting.