DSLR to Notebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheesecake said:
Canon Professional Series DSLRs comes with EOS Viewer that allows tethered photography via FireWire.

FujiFilm and Kodak DSLRs too have their own software for tethered photography..

Canon design excellent softwares.:thumbsup:

U mean EOS capture? Tethered shooting works with any Canon DSLR, no matter u are using USB 1.1, 2.0 or Firewire

If you dont want to pay for Nikon Capture, there are also 3rd party software such as DSLR remote, Capture 1.....etc

DSLR Remote is fast and simple, but I prefer EOS capture because of additional features and camera control

Wai said:
U mean EOS capture? Tethered shooting works with any Canon DSLR, no matter u are using USB 1.1, 2.0 or Firewire

If you dont want to pay for Nikon Capture, there are also 3rd party software such as DSLR remote, Capture 1.....etc

DSLR Remote is fast and simple, but I prefer EOS capture because of additional features and camera control

nope, i mean EOS Viewer Utility. the upgraded version from EOS FileViewerUtility. i remember that the EOS FileViewerUtility ships with the Professional Series DSLRs such as the 1Ds and the 1D. as for the MK.II, i do not know. paiseh ah... my knowledge of Canon DSLRs is only limited to the 1Ds.

only use it on FireWire because the Canon 1Ds has an outlet for FireWire connectivity to the PowerBook.

Canon designs really good and user friendly softwares.:thumbsup:

nightwolf75 said:
thanks for highlighting it! been a while since i last touched a canon DSLR. i dun remembered by ex-10D having dat software last time. mebbe the newer ones have it now. good! :thumbsup:

I have been using tethered shooting since D30 days, last time it was call Remote Capture, comes with your Canon software CD. It works for D60, 10D, 300D...etc, but it was rather slow because they are using USB 1.1 connection, transferring a large jpeg will take about 5sec.

On the other hand, the newer models like 350D, 20D have USB 2.0 connection, they are as fast as 1-series firewire, your pic will appear on your laptop INSTANTLY, before you can turn around and look at your screen.

This remote capture software also works with Canon P&S, I have tried it with S30, can even preview the picture in real-time, just like looking at your LCD. Similar to DSLR, u can control anything from ISO, shutter speed, aperture, shooting mode...etc

Now remote capture is call EOS capture, specially designed for DSLR, with more controls like WB, metering, EV....couple with DPP and u can even adjust the colorcast on the fly

Wai said:
I have been using tethered shooting since D30 days, last time it was call Remote Capture, comes with your Canon software CD. It works for D60, 10D, 300D...etc, but it was rather slow because they are using USB 1.1 connection, transferring a large jpeg will take about 5sec.

On the other hand, the newer models like 350D, 20D have USB 2.0 connection, they are as fast as 1-series firewire, your pic will appear on your laptop INSTANTLY, before you can turn around and look at your screen.

This remote capture software also works with Canon P&S, I have tried it with S30, can even preview the picture in real-time, just like looking at your LCD. Similar to DSLR, u can control anything from ISO, shutter speed, aperture, shooting mode...etc

Now remote capture is call EOS capture, specially designed for DSLR, with more controls like WB, metering, EV....couple with DPP and u can even adjust the colorcast on the fly

paiseh, i do not know the rest of the Canon's DSLRs and P'n'S line-up and so, i can't comment. but coming from a user of the EOS ViewerUtility and FileViewerUtility, i'm hugely impressed.

and i've used many cameras and softwares for tethered shooting too!:bsmilie:

Canon ranks right up there!

Wai said:

dslr remote is free?

Cheesecake said:
never tried Nikon DSLRs with Nikon Capture. perhaps ESPN can answer that one.
Wireless transfers are only possible with
WT-1/1A
WT-2/2A

with D2X/D2HS/D2H/D200

P1, P2 DCs.

If you want to shoot direct to laptop, you will need

1) Nikon Capture
2) Cable from camera to laptop (limited moving distance)
3) any of the above setup.

lightning said:
The last I heard, Canon Wireless adaptor is about $4K plus.

Canon WFT-E1 Wireless LAN File Transmitter

It sells for USD1,000. But out-of-stock almost everywhere else.

It uses the Firewire connection from the EOS-1Ds Mark II.

It says "The transmitter is compatible with the EOS-1D Mark II and the EOS 20D digital SLR cameras via a firmware upgrade" but 20D do not have Firewire le....

i hope cameras with wifi will be the "in" thing for 2006. make more dslrs with wifi!!!

itsybitsyspidy said:
i hope cameras with wifi will be the "in" thing for 2006. make more dslrs with wifi!!!

Then we can connect my PDA to PSP to DSLR to laptop!

I can use the PDA to take picture, the DSLR to surf the net, and the PSP to do homework and the laptop as the server!

nightwolf75 said:
its becos these wireless transmitters works on the 2.4GHz (ie 802.11b) band, which is (technically speaking) 'owned' by the govt (and dat does for all govts in the world, in case some one jumps up and accuse our govt for being anti-competitive etc....). this is the same band dat our handphones etc... anything WiFi, uses. thus, all wireless transmitters working on this frequency needs to be IDA approved.
last time I looked, my cordless phone worked on the 1.4GHz band, and so does my wifi router/access point (.11b and .11g)

Granted, the government owned the airwaves and all the channels/frequenzies, isn't it a bit stupid to create so much red tape?

I don't see the point here for all the hurdles Canon needs to go thru to get this approve.

Deadpoet said:
last time I looked, my cordless phone worked on the 1.4GHz band, and so does my wifi router/access point (.11b and .11g)

really? the last i check (which is now as i type), my belkin 802.11g is working on 2.4Ghhz band.

okie.. granted some cordless phone dun work on 2.4GHz. i was referring to hp. have a look at this on wat is WiFi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiFi

oh, in case u think wikipedia is full of crock, do check out Wi-Fi Alliance's site.

http://www.wi-fi.org/OpenSection/index.asp

Granted, the government owned the airwaves and all the channels/frequenzies, isn't it a bit stupid to create so much red tape?

I don't see the point here for all the hurdles Canon needs to go thru to get this approve.

if u wish to rant on the wat is perceived to be needless red tape, do take it up with the feedback unit? i doubt anyone here will want to see this thread being locked, again, for 'political' overtones, yah?

oh btw, the govts ard the world dun 'owned' all the airwaves by default. rather, there's some international rules and regulations set by the ITU (International Telecommunication Union, Geneva) which govts and global telecommunication companies abide by.

I use my 1D II + firewire to my IBM and use DPP + EOS Capture to shoot and view direct.

The only catch is that images are saved onto the laptop directly and nothing is saved on the CF card

+evenstar said:
I use my 1D II + firewire to my IBM and use DPP + EOS Capture to shoot and view direct.

The only catch is that images are saved onto the laptop directly and nothing is saved on the CF card
if u use the FileViewer or ViewerUtility, the images are saved direct to the CF card. u'll haf to save the images via the software to the laptop though.

Status
Not open for further replies.