DSLR for Female - Please Recommend!

Ladies should get something more fashionable and colourful as performance-wise all the main brands are quite good already.

Since there are probably quite a few female photographers here, it'll be interesting to know what camera they're using, don't you think? I don't often see ladies using DSLRs and weight is probably the biggest factor. But I'd really like to know what DSLRs are favoured by our female photographers or photography enthusiasts.

Hi there. Perhaps to disprove a general assumption, I have a female friend, a mother of two children, aged above 40, shooting with a Canon 1D Mk3 with an array of L lenses, flashes, and tripods. Do note that she does not do this for a living. She shoots insect macros and some other miscellaneous genres. Also, just take a stroll along Orchard Road, and I'm quite sure you'll pass by more than a handful of girls or ladies holding DSLRs too. I've noticed many, though it's just slung around their necks with the lens caps on..

I don't believe in 'something for females' because that in a way is a little patronizing to the female gender. Rather, it would be easier for us to help you if you let us know what your thresholds are, if you have more specific requirements.

Generally, however, the smallest - and usually lightest - camera bodies in the DSLR categories can be found in the entry-level range for each brand. To my understanding, that would be the 1000D and maybe 550D (if you're looking for more advanced features) for Canon, and D3100 and D5000 for Nikon. I wouldn't say they are equivalent in features across the brands, so you will have to decide what is more important for yourself.

Do visit retailers to try using the cameras yourself. See how they fit in your hands, whether you're comfortable with the layout and interface, and also, whether you're fine with the weight when kept in a bag or slung on your shoulder. Then of course, there's also the image quality side of it, but that would probably be less of a personal problem because you can easily Google for sample images taken by the cameras.

Happy shopping :)

Last edited:
A pic worth a thousand word

6294_112535338874_754208874_2143586_1903758_n.jpg

duplicate...

If you have small hands and want a camera with interchangeable lens then go for one of the smaller APS-C dslr or EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens) cameras. 4/3 from Olympus and m4/3 cameras from Olympus and Panasonic are quite good alternatives as well. Pentax cameras are rather nice too and their pancake lenses tend to be rather slim. So 2 or 3 lenses wont weigh you down too much.

Canon DSLR cameras tend to be for bigger hands unfortunately. Also do consider the whole system - a couple of three lenses, any flash, a tripod/monopod etc.

Get an A33 or A55. The articulating LCD with fast AF liveview is *perfect* for taking endless shots of yourself.

Canon EOS 550D!!!
:thumbsup:

before i bought,
i went down and try out.

you should also go and have a try before you buy it.

No such thing as a female camera. Just more of your preference and how much you wanna lug around. If you're after performance and image quality, you'd want to go for the best your wallet can afford.

If you're talking about something small and lightweight which you can carry around anywhere, most of the other cs'ers have given good advice on the beginner series of the various brands and including the mirrorless interchangeable lens systems.

Pentax Kx
63388624046209676792182_223x149_Category_K-x_White.jpg

http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/

1. Small and light

2. Can be coupled with very small pancake primes
223x149_DA-40mm.jpg

http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/#DALimited20090216135719

3. Not the usual black camera ;)
63407372747498656790464223x149_category_kx_purple.jpg

(note : local sells black, blue, red, white only; order overseas if you want other colors)

4. Very good performance in its class
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/

5. Affordable
(ok.... body and kit lens set is really good value and inexpensive.... those pancakes not that cheap ... but relatively affordable, well built and unique :) )

oh.. yeah one more thing :
This was the first Jap SLR maker and not a "unknown" brand
http://www.photoxels.com/history_pentax.html

Do ask around in the Pentax sub-forum if you want to know more.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76

Last edited:
I would recommend a Pentax Kx. There got quite a few colours you can choose from.

What's your budget at the first place ?

Or maybe you can consider the new Nikon D7000 ( 690g ).

Go & have a feel.

Hi,

I am petite and I use a Nikon D90. Weight was, and still is, the primary concern. The second thing on my list was the size. My hands are quite small. I really liked D60's weight and size - I thought it was ideal for me in terms of its ergonomics. But I chose D90 in the end becos it is able to fit most lenses and the size and weight are tolerable to me although I don't find it light or small per se.

Yes, please go and feel for yourself. I agonised over the cameras for months until I went down to feel the cameras in my hands. It became clear to me that it doesn't matter how much I love that Nikon D300 or Canon 5D if I cannot even hold it properly.

Since there are probably quite a few female photographers here, it'll be interesting to know what camera they're using, don't you think? I don't often see ladies using DSLRs and weight is probably the biggest factor. But I'd really like to know what DSLRs are favoured by our female photographers or photography enthusiasts.

not really true.. just now i saw a auntie in the 50s carrying a DSLR...

as for the weight, even guys don't like it... you need to check if you like the weight or not... but a 550d with a 18-55 kit lens should be ok for most ladies... but if u buy some heavy lens.. then that's it lah!!!

Female here. Using nikon d5000.
I have a female friend who uses a canon 550d.
And also another female friend who uses a nikon d70s.

To be honest i wouldn't mind the weight as i feel that the weight would be worth it when you see the outcome of your pictures. What matters most is the specs. :)

i vote for A33/A55 .. u compare 1k price tag cameras u cannot find that feature packed camera

[vid]kHPaVD0pHpQ[/vid]

A33 or A55 !

Attended a Sony event, Wife held A33 and immediately wanted one.

...later we went to photo shop in AMK and touch, touch, feel, feel the 550d, d5000, Kx and G2. Cannot lah, the women has made up her mind stating "feels very good in my hands" and "it's a very small and light DSLR" ...we decided on the A55.:bsmilie:

...do try one before you make up your mind.

I was in the pentax gathering and saw some young ladies with the clothing matching the color of the dslr. I tot that is unique and elegant:D with a matched color pair of shoes and bags too.

Kx is the model, small, ligtht, reasonable performance and low in cost.

otc

Let's be fair to them. They have rental to pay and mouths to feed. Let the consumer decide lah... Live and let live. This is business.

Its known that they do charge more, just trying to save the TS some money here. Since I'm a consumer too, i decide to help out the consumer rather than a chain megastore:)

Last edited: